“A jewel within a country of amazing natural beauty”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Our family recently returned from a 10 night stay at the Four Seasons. We all agreed that it was one of our best because of two reasons. First was the hotel and the other was because of Mainor Lara with Tours Your Way.

Experienced with other 5 star hotels including the FS on the Big Island in Hawaii, we had high expectations for the FS Costa Rica. After the 11 days there, those expectations were met and then some. What were immediately noticeable on arrival are the incredible staff members. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping is genuinely nice and helpful. Two members that were above FS standards were Carlos Ugalde and Melissa Bustos. Carlos served us breakfast every morning. He was so cheerful and tried to please us with anything that we may have needed. Be sure to ask for him. Likewise, Melissa always greeted us with a warm smile at the front desk of the Business Center. Any problems related to internet connection, she ensured were answered. There were many more employees that were great including the staff who provided transportation - I just cannot remember their names.

Everything from our room to the grounds was meticulously kept. For example, it appeared that seconds after a leaf had fallen on a sidewalk, someone was sweeping it up. Our suite was always cleaned to perfection with water bottles and amenities replenished when needed.

Like the country, the hotel is beautiful. I highly recommend the 2:30 pm golf course tour. Everyone is given a cart and a tour guide directs the group throughout the course. The vistas are incredible. The guide will point many of the natural wonders including iguanas, howler monkeys, plants, trees, etc. allowing time for great photo shoots. They, also, give some history on the course, the hotel and its commitment to conservation.

A wonderful secret is the Beach Club. Not owned by the FS, the facility's long term goal is to be exclusively used by private home owners. For now, it allows guests of the FS to visit. By asking the hotel's bell service, a van will transport from the hotel to Club in less than 5 minutes. Our 15 and 13 year old children liked its beach better because of the bigger waves. Be sure to grab boogie boards from the hotel for surf riding. The Beach Club, also, has a nice sports bar with pool tables. We did not formally eat at one of its restaurants but did enjoy the delicious grilled grouper from the bar. The Club is not open on Sundays and Mondays.

I read some reviews of the hotel complaining of its isolation. We liked it. There are two security checks before arriving at the lobby. Our kids loved the Teen Center and we never were worried in allowing them to travel to it on their own. Once, I called the Center and they knew to the minute when our children had arrived and left.

For tours, NO ONE can beat Mainor (pronounced "minor") Lara. As his company's name implies, he provides tours that fit the client. We spent two full day tours with Mainor at Monte Verde and Arenal. He listens to what is wanted, makes suggestions and ensures that the tour is exactly fulfilled. He is funny and so knowledgeable. Not only, for example, does he know that name of every bird in the region, he knows the sound of their calls. He can spot monkeys, sloths, toucans and parrots from a mile away. We think that he knows everyone in the region because everywhere we went; people waved to him and called out his name. Mainor, also, provided transport to/from Tamarindo on two days for us and scheduled surfing lessons and beach horseback rides. Everything we did with him was wonderful. He made sure that a cooler in his SUV was available to us filled with drinks that we liked. Providing transfers between the FS and the airport for us, we felt like we were leaving a good friend when our vacation was over.

Would we recommend the Four Seasons in Costa Rica? ABSOLUTELY!

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I scoured Frommers and TA for vacation ideas - someplace where my husband and I could go to relax but to also experience the local culture and people. Rather than heading to the Caribbean again, we opted for the FS at Papagayo....and we are SO glad we did! We had a spacious Deluxe room that faced out to the beach, with a screened-in patio where we spent many night enjoying room service. The room was very comfortable and was always kept pristine by housekeeping. The staff at FS are very attentive and welcoming. Housekeeping was super accomodating as well - I needed some extra L'Occitane products and they were quick to send over. My husband was using a piece of tissue (don't ask me why) as a bookmark and Housekeeping placed a FS bookmark in it's place!
There are three pools at the resort, although one was very small and I think was an "adults only" pool. Alas, if you rest your head there and a big group comes by, it can get very loud. But the other 2 pools are a great size and you won't have any problems relaxing or enjoying a frozen fruit pop that the servers bring around.

The beach...stunning. Long stretches of beautiful sand, and lounge chairs are readily available. Calm waters, perfect soft sand.

We booked a couple excursions with Tours Your Way. If you are traveling to FS, there are no better options than Mainor and Rey. Although the FS offers shuttle service from the airport, we booked transportation with Mainor. He charges the same rate as FS but you get your own car (no waiting for other families) and you have the opportunity to directly support the local community rather than the hotel. We booked the Mega Combo and the Palo Verde Tour. AMAZING. Rey was our guide and he was so accomodating, funny, informative, helpful, great personality. On numerous occasions, he would take our camera and snap pics for us while we were ziplining or rubbing volcanic ash off at the spa! We were also treated to lunch on both tours which were so delicious! Authentic Costa Rican fare, it was fresh, yummy and plentiful. Service was always top notch. Rey was also eager to point out all the animals and birds at every turn, and even stopped the car several times to make sure we took pics. I can go on and on. You will not be disappointed with Tours Your Way, Mainor or Rey. Your Costa Rican experience will only be enhanced by these amazing guys.

All in all, a super vacation with lots of great sites, great people and great food!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I recently returned from the FS Costa Rica after spending a week there with my family. It was absolutely up to FS standards, and the location was beautiful. You could stay there a week just doing on-site activities and never get bored. We did take several excursions off site with Tours Your Way, which I can recommend without reservation. I did feel a twinge guilty about staying someplace so isolated. Costa Rica is a fabulous country with many beautiful sites to explore and interesting people to meet. I wasn't able to immerse myself in that experience here, but I was able to immerse myself in extreme comfort, great service and beautiful surroundings. It doesn't get much better than lying in bed at night and hearing waves on the shore! I found the food pricey for the quality, but that's a minor complaint compared to the way stress melts away the minute you check in!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We spent seven nights at the FS Costa Rica and our only disappointment was saying goodbye. I originally planned to stay at another resort however, the TA reviews of the Four Seasons persuaded me to switch and I'm glad I listened.

Before I touch on the hotel, I have to mention Reiner (“Rey”), our guide from Tours Your Way, who played a leading role in making this a memorable vacation. Based on other reviews, I contacted Mainor at Tours Your Way to plan an excursion. Mainor was very responsive to our inquiries and having a contact in Costa Rica prior to our visit was very reassuring. We settled on the Mega Combo tour near Rincon de la Vieja after determining that the activities would be suitable for our children (ages 10 & 6). As we pulled away from the resort an oncoming vehicle flashed its lights at us and pulled to the side of the road. It was Mainor, who wanted to come over and introduce himself. I thought that was a nice touch.

On the way to Buena Vista, Rey led a very insightful discussion on Costa Rica. He was a big hit with the kids and engaged them frequently. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Rey and Uber (sp), our driver, would actually be doing the canopy and horseback rides with us. Rey volunteered to take my camera for the afternoon and we ended up with great family shots and wildlife photos. Rey learned that my kids liked soccer so he took us to a sporting goods store in Liberia where we could get CR soccer jerseys. He also took us to a coffee roaster where we could sample and purchase different CR coffees. It all added up to a great day. I booked TYW to take us to the airport and it was Uber that arrived to get us.

As for the resort, it exceeded our expectations. From the moment you pass through the front gate you can sense what a special place this is. The grounds are immaculate and the service is first rate. We reserved a canopy suite and were upgraded to a plunge pool suite. Our actual room was a canopy premier plunge pool suite (three-bedroom) that consisted of three separate structures connected by covered walkways. One structure, a two-bedroom suite, was closed off to our use. That left us with one structure containing a kitchen, dining area, sleeper sofa and full bath (shower only) and a second structure containing the master bedroom and a full bath (two sinks, separate shower and tub). The buildings were connected by an elevated covered walkway. With young children we were a bit concerned about having them sleep in a separate building that, when locked, we could not access. Likewise, they could not access our locked room, if necessary. Come to think of it, I’m not sure how someone would evacuate the master bedroom suite if the main structure was locked. I guess one would have to jump off the elevated walkway. We just decided to move the sofa mattress into the master bedroom each night for the kids as there was plenty of room. The rooms were very clean and well appointed. Internet service was available throughout the suite (for a fee) and housekeeping was very efficient. Within minutes of our arrival we received a call from the resort’s food and beverage manager who greeted us and insisted that we let him know, personally, if we had any special requests during our stay. That first day was a long day for the kids due to travel so we opted for room service in the evening. I can’t say that I have seen a finer presentation of soup, salad, nachos and PB&J fingers.

We found all the restaurants to be quite good both in quality and portion sizes. Di Mare and Caracol took top honors but those fish tacos (more like fish wraps) deserve an honorable mention. What I wouldn’t give for another Costa Rican coffee crusted NY strip steak accompanied by chili dusted red onion rings (Caracol). Not all restaurants are open each evening so keep that in mind during your stay and look for the restaurant schedule posted on the board outside Papagayo. I also don’t think that people were aware you could order off other menus at some restaurants. The same kid’s menu was provided at all restaurants and we used the Tuanis (teen) menu at both Papagayo and Tico’s. It seemed like they were willing to accommodate any request as I strayed from the dinner menu at Papagayo on two evenings opting for a burger one night and fish tacos the other.

Although all the servers were very good, Andres from Papagayo was exceptional. Among other things, he was able to find some good old “yellow” mustard other than the Dijon they normally serve or the stone ground offered as an alternative. He joked about it several days later by asking if he could bring me some yellow mustard for my fish tacos.

The food prices were quite high but having stayed at similar resorts it was not unexpected. The breakfast buffet is not worth the cost, except for kids, and you are better off ordering from the menu.

My only negative comments on the stay are somewhat trivial. As others have stated, I wish the FS resorts would follow the trend by offering free in-room internet access. We had four Wi-Fi devices on the trip and I paid to have two connected in the room. Wi-Fi is free in the lobby but not always convenient. Reception away from the lobby or rooms is not always reliable.

The other negative was the café (coffee shop). My wife asked for cream for her coffee one evening and was directed to the powdered creamer packets on the counter. We just spent $4 for CR coffee made in a press pot and there is no cream or milk? A minor situation but one that I felt was an unusual contrast to the FS experience.

Can’t wait to visit again.

1  Thank sch8r
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Four Seasons Papagayo was the 3rd Four Seasons resort I have stayed at. Although this property is a bit larger than the other Four Seasons I have stayed at, it was still quite private and quiet.

The service was great if not exceptional. My new bride and I enjoyed a romantic private dinner on the beach. We watched a beautiful lighting storm off the Pacific coast while we enjoyed our first two courses. When 1 or 2 drops of rain landed on us, our server promptly comforted us, "not to worry, a canopy is on the way." Just then we turned around to see 4 servers bringing a giant, elegant canopy which they placed over our table. We stayed long enough to enjoy our 3rd course. We were then serenaded by a duet of musicians taking a break from their gig in the bar. After the musical interlude we asked our server if we could take our dessert in our room. Surprise, surprise the Four Seasons staff had set up a very romantic candle lit table (as a rain backup) on our terrace, overlooking the ocean. Needless to say the experience was flawless.

If this sounds good to you, go check out the four seasons Papagayo. Oh and say hi to our friend Henry in Tico's Bar!!! Thanks Henry!!!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My husband and I would not have chosen this property if it were just the two of us. We prefer small, boutique hotels that are private and quiet. But, as we had the whole family, we chose a larger, family-friendly location.

Arrived June 19th with group ranging in age from 15 to 80 (9 people in all) and stayed for two weeks in a 3-bedroom and 2-bedroom "residence." We were met by the head of food services to inform us that if we wanted anything to just ask and to order off of any menu at any time. This was due to the length of our stay and their concern that we would get bored with the options presented. Nice.

Rooms: Our accommodations were located at the very top of the peninsula. Two separate residences to accommodate all of us. Master suite had large bedroom with bath, dining area, outdoor dining area, full kitchen, living room, and guest bath. (All master baths included full tub with separate shower, double sink/vanities, walk-in closet with excellent drawer/hanging space). A sky walkway led to second bedroom suite, and downstairs led to third - each with its own deck, making for five outdoor lounge areas. All outdoor areas had nice seating and bugs were minimal. Infinity pool was large with a spectacular view, chaise lounges, and located in between all of our suites. The rooms were large and very nicely appointed with quality woods, decor, furnishings, and finishes. Sliding glass doors with screens extended the length of all of the suites. (Same layout for my in-laws and niece just across the cart path but without the 3rd suite. They had an expansive view of the other side of the peninsula/ocean.) Our view was eye level with jungle trees and a clear view of the ocean beyond. 1st day the whole family got in the infinity pool around 4pm and we were shocked to see about 20 monkeys, both white faced and howler, in the trees in front of us. Just after dark these same trees were filled with fire flies. Howler monkeys would often wake us up (we slept with the doors open) at dawn. Very cool. Spectacular birds, bats, squirrels?, raccoons, iguanas, large crabs, and lizards rounded out the wildlife experience on property.

Food: Not a priority for us. We dined in our rooms a lot after such full days and were content with the menus. Our rooms were so nice and large with a fully appointed dining room that it was nice to have dinner there. Options were unlimited if one just asks. Some regularly enjoyed the breakfast and said it was amazing. Ridiculously expensive but we knew that from other posts. Service was always exceptional. Ex: a waiter described a coffee drink that I might like. A few days later I wanted to order it but could not remember the waiter's name. I briefly looked around for him and was bombarded by assistance because I looked as if I needed something. I briefly described my dilemma and immediately had no less than 5 staff people looking for the right waiter and bringing them out to me. I was mortified by such a fuss but they were desperate to see my whim met. For all I know he was on his way home but acted as if he was thrilled to jump behind the bar and make my drink. Frozen cinnamon coffee with chocolate....worth the fuss! My daughter had a dessert not on the regular menu the first night and wanted to have the same dessert 2 wks later. They found the waiter who served us the 1st night and he remembered what it was and had it made up special - thanks, Raul!!! We did dine in all of the restaurants and they each having something unique to offer. Dress code is more lacks than in many places we have traveled.

Beaches: Quiet beach where the sun sets and active beach where the water sports are located. Both are pretty with nice sand and decent water. I was worried that they didn't have a ton of chaises on either beach but we never had trouble finding seating for our group. Both beaches are in a half-moon shape protected on either side. Snorkeling is okay, water trampoline is fun, kayaks and paddle boats, too. Don't waste your time hoping to windsurf or sail, lack of wind makes it almost impossible. Small problem with jellyfish stings. Beach staff is enthusiastic and fun. One even acted as our photographer for our family volleyball game and another drew me a very detailed map of the hiking trails because we couldn't rally for the designated hikes.

Pools: Multiple pools with plenty of seating, though they are all very shallow. Of course chairs are set up for you and service is top notch. Ice water is always re-filled, treats every hour, sun glass cleaning chair-side, Evian spritzes and iced towels. Stands have sun block, bug spray, and aloe for convenience. Full food and beverage service. One oddity: the chaise lounges do not fully recline due to liability for pinched fingers! Makes tanning one's backside a bit awkward. We spent many days going between the different beaches and pools.

Vendors are allowed to set up stands on set days. I am always weary of such vendors but chose to buy some inexpensive jewelry, boxes, and vases. I later discovered that the prices were more than fair and met the artists which made it more meaningful.

Classes and tours: Had great difficulty planning ahead for the tours and classes so we missed out there (our choice as we didn't want to commit!). The ones we did schedule were rained out. They even offered to set up a kayak tour and trail hike just for our family because we were such a large group but we didn't take advantage of it. Salsa lessons were a lot of fun! (We chose to use Tours Your Way for our off-site touring and were thrilled.) We also chose to stop at a grocery store every time we were on tour to pick up snacks and Gatorade, which helped a little. Kids did not use the teen center but it appeared to have entertaining qualities.

Gym and Spa: Used the gym every day and it was the best resort gym ever, great cardio equipment and separate weight room. Though I appreciate the attendant bringing me ice towels, it was awkward to have someone just standing there to assist. We are late night people and were unhappy that the gym closed at 8:30 until they informed us that all we had to do was ask and it would be re-opened just for us. We enjoyed this option! Yoga and Pilates were an additional charge.Spa was amazing and well done.

Staff: They were off the charts. Any request I made was handled immediately and with a smile. Extra water and towels in the room every day? Done. Hypo-allergenic pillows, ice maker acting up, arm on chair broken, light bulb out....someone was there to take care of it instantaneously. Clothes strewn about and glasses left everywhere were taken care of by the wonderful housekeeping. I don't expect someone to fold/hang my clothes when I am too lazy to put them away yet it was always done for us. I never found a flaw in the housekeeping, and I notice everything! They aren't mind readers so just ask and they appear thrilled to rectify the most minor concern.

Bugs: It is a little disconcerting that bugs were not a problem in a jungle setting. An occasional spritz of bug spray at night was helpful for those of us that are bug tasty, but many of our group never used any and had no bites. The suites were fully screened so bed netting was not necessary. Off-site tours are another story so take your bug spray.

Weather was great, not as humid or hot as I expected. Rain storms would come in the afternoons of every third day, sometimes ending in an hour and sometimes going all night. They have rainy day activities if desired.

Odds and ends: We are an athletic family but the cart rides to and from the room were necessary, especially in flip-flops or heels. In tennis shoes it's no problem, just steep in spots but easy and fun when the sun went down. Waiting for a cart was never an issue at all. Just called and they were there. (Remember we were at the very top of the hill so this is probably not true for most units.) Carts were always at the ready at the lobby.

Thunder and lighting with the rain storms - spectacular and shockingly loud! When it starts to rain be prepared for a deluge. I made that mistake only once and learned. Electricity went out for 1 second a few times but back up generators were immediate. Wi-fi is free and reliable and flat screen television with surround sound are in every room (Yuck).

The Four Seasons is truly a long way from everything. We chose to do 2 full day off site tours and just enjoy what this locale had to offer the rest of the time. Two weeks was too long for our kids.

Beach Club may have limited access depending on one's accommodations. Only a very short car ride away (5 minutes), we enjoyed the change of scenery and atmosphere. Lovely layout and fun but service was not as good as at the resort proper. Nice pool, hot tub, and a lap pool as well. We brought boogie boards from the activity center and got rolled and pummeled in the waves - fun for most but too strong for others. Also, the sting rays (at least 10 or so) were surfing in the waves with us. They are shy and fast so don't be afraid - they don't want to touch you any more than you want to touch them. Again, only 3 jellyfish stings but they are more fierce than those in the Caribbean but not debilitating.

Overall, best service ever and top-notch accommodations in a family-friendly environment.

I know this is a long review but details my concerns before I left. Any questions feel free to ask! I love to help others with their travel worries as others have helped me.

4  Thank OregonSungirl
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We had a one bedroom canopy suite with plunge pool and absolutely loved it. Service is excellent -- from check in to housekeeping to the pools to checkout. Restaurants were also great (especially Caracol) and we never had any trouble getting reservations at times we wanted.

We would've preferred more breakfast options though -- it's great if you're a big eater but if you're prefer something small you're pretty much out of luck at Papagayo and relegated to the miscellaneous danishes offered by the coffee shop. Overall great though.

We did two tours with ToursYourWay. We loved Ray and Cesar for our trip to Guachipelin for ziplining and tubing. Definitely try to request them! Mainor was also great on the Palo Verde Riverboat tour (as well as our 4AM trip to the airport).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!