“Very Good Getaway”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Flanders, New Jersey
“Very Good Getaway”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Prior to arriving at this resort I read so many of these reviews I was having "buyers remorse". So many of the comments were true and I thank you for your comments. My opinion is that this was a very good time in a beautiful location. The sales pitch as soon as you arrive is annoying, but if you say no I would hope that would be a respected answer. We did not say no and spent hours chatting. Luis our tour guide was a pleasure and I wish him continued success. Hervan our initial customer service rep. Was very helpful with booking tours. We toured with Swiss Travel and had a wonderful time on the Mega Combo Tour. Our room was oceanview and very spacious. The property is undergoing some updating. There were several buildings getting a facelift. We were told they hope to be done in December. Our room was a nice walk from the snack bar and pool area. We walked each day and some evenings. The shuttle was readily available. The Coati is visible all day along with iguanas and various birds. The beach is rough on the feet but it is a very relaxing place. The pool is pretty but the kiddie pool is closed and needs attention but I anticipate it will be taken care of with the renovations and the adults only theme. The food was good. We were unable to get reservations at the Italian or Asian Restaurants so I recommend booking early. The Buffet had good selections and the staff were wonderful. Our waiter, Jaime, each morning for breakfast was very nice and attentive. The staff was very helpful, warm and friendly. This is not a five star property but it is a good value and I would give it 4 stars. It is beautiful and relaxing.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank legna45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This place was better than I thought it was going to be. The rooms are comfortable and the buffet changes every night so you get a good variety of different meals. The beach was the best part of the resort since it is a short walk to get there and the snorkeling right off the beach is great, lots of colourful fish and rays swimming around, just dont go barefoot near the rocks or you might step on a sea urchin. It is a good idea to call ahead and ask for a room with an ocean view, we stayed in building 4 and it had a great view. Also, I highly recomend using Ariel from CostaRicaBesTrips to use for you excursions, he was better than any of the guys selling excursions from the beach.

Room Tip: building 4 has great ocean views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike S
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We enjoyed are stayed tremendously, the hotel service was outstanding the staff in the restaurant was always on point. Esteban in the vacation club was amazing, he helped my girlfriend set up a private dinner on the beach for my birthday which was very special for me. Russ behind the bar at the vacation club & the group at the fun club brought a special energy each day. Carlos, Gerry & The Fun Club staff made each day extremely entertaining. Overall for someone or a couple who doesn't have a 4 seasons budget, you cannot go wrong with this quiet resort full of wild life surrounding you, an amazing staff willing to go the extra mile at any point.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pimentelmarcoa
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had a great time in Guanacaste celebrating my boyfriend's birthday, but the dishonesty of the room-service maids and the lack of professionalism from the front desk in handling this incident was extremely poor.

On the second last day as I was packing up my clothes (I keep a list of the things I bring on vacation), I noticed that one of my blouses was missing. The only people that were in the room other than my boyfriend and I were the cleaning ladies (who by the way, didn't clean the room regularly although requested to). The front desk took a while to respond and I had to remind them 2-3 times before they took action. They took so long that I finally got to fill out an incident form AS the rest of the group was getting onto the bus to go to the airport. They promised me that they would e-mail/call me as soon as I land back in Canada but they never did! I also e-mailed them a week later and they have yet to reply. It's been three months!! Looks like I'm not going to be reimbursed for my blouse which I think is only fair. Had the maid asked me for it, I would have gladly handed it over, but I was less than impressed in it being stolen -- very dishonest staff. Occidental Grand Papagayo staff could have at least followed up with me as promised, or have the courtesy to respond to my e-mail! I guess they don't care once you've already paid for the trip, that's what it felt like at least.

Don't waste your time with this resort, go with one that you can trust. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with much to offer, it would be sad if your things happen to go "missing". Good luck!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mel M
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Papagayo - Adults only, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Mel M,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review on Trip Advisor. We value all guest feedback and I’m truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

In respect to your incident, please know that housekeeping follows strict standards to ensure guestrooms are ready and clean throughout their stay. The maid was taking care of your room has been working many years with us. Every day our staffing pass a security filter when they arrive and then when they finish, they are not allowed to take anything outside from the property without permission. However we have addressed your experience with the Rooms Division Director in order to prevent any future occurrence.

Please give us a chance to welcome you again and demonstrate the excellent service for which we are recognized.

Sincerely
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 November 2013

To all the people who gave a bad review, I wish I would have listened bc I just got back yesterday and had the IDENTICAL bad experiences. This hotel is terrible and should be shut down. I have an extensive report with a long list of all the things that were promised and never delivered and then some. I need at least an hour to get all of it together and type it but wanted to at least get this out so that anyone who is considering going here has another person to tell them to stay away. Waste of money and time. The worst vacation and worst experience ever.

Room Tip: Don't go here & find another all inclusive that is run by a reputable company....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer T
Itze P, Reputation Management at Occidental Papagayo - Adults only, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Jennifer T,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We would like to extend my deepest apologies for any inconvenient you encountered during your stay at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We strive to offer an efficient and courteous while welcoming our guests. We assure you that what you experienced is certainly not the norm. Your feedback has been reviewed with our management in order to reinforce our standards and results.

We hope that despite this experience, you present us an opportunity to show you the level of service you have come to know and expect of our property. We look forward to host you again in the near future.

Sincerely
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The facility was very well run and maintained. The only reason this place doesn't get five stars is that the breakfast and dinner buffets are fine but not outstanding. This is not unusual for buffet style cooking. One of their employees did make a nice impression. Carlos at the Fun Hut set us up for snorkeling. We were impressed with how he handled his responsibilities for his guests when he remained for the entire hour by the side of one of the members of our group who was inexperienced and very much afraid. Carlos made certain the gentleman was never in danger. We loved it when the monkeys crossed the property in the morning.

Room Tip: Second floors of Buildings 15 and 14 have marvelous view of the cove.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Booked this resort through a Living Social deal that was excellent. I've been to Costa Rica a couple of times before, although never to this resort. This was by far my favorite place and I would definitely return. All-inclusives can get old fast with the same activities offered and the same buffet choices every day. We thought they did a great job of mixing up the food options with the restaurants included in the stay, as well as changing what was offered at the snack bar and buffet each day. The food was better than anticipated, having stayed at all-inclusives before, and always very fresh. There were a variety of activities offered that you could choose to do, but if not, no one pressured you to do so. The staff was extremely friendly and couldn't have been more helpful...everyone from the bartenders to the foodstaff and even the maintenance guy who came to remove a huge spider from out of our bathroom without laughing (too much) at us! Thank you! :)
Yes the resort is spread out and hilly but it was never a problem to call for the shuttle and they would be there within minutes to drive you. The advantage of this is that nearly every room has an ocean view and it is quiet. They appear to be in the process of re-doing and upgrading many of the rooms which is promising. Our room had been re-done and was great, but the bathroom could use updating. There was no issue with cleanliness, but it appears dingy and outdated in contrast to the newly re-done rest of the room. Not a deal-breaker for us, and perhaps the others have a different setup--we were in building 14.
The beach here is very secluded and calm, as it is not on the open ocean. Not a place to go surfing, but great for relaxing and snorkeling. The town of Coco Beach is not far and fun to visit at night for the open-air bars and hanging out with the locals. The resort is also very convenient to Liberia airport so you can quickly get to/from and not miss out on all there is to do in this amazing country! Already knew I loved Costa Rica but now I have a resort I would definitely come back to and recommend to others. Thank you all for a great visit!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,093 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Occidental Papagayo - Adults only? Share your experiences!