I gave this hotel two stars because of the stunning view when you first walk into the reception area. But that was the best part of our 3 hour stay there.
When we arrived to the hotel we were told we needed to wait to check in because our room wasn't ready. So we went to the hotel bar by the front desk for water and to escape the heat for a moment. The bartender informed us that the AC unit was not working there and it was hotter inside than outside. So we walked down the 50+ stairs to go to the pool. We stopped to get a drink at the pool bar and we were met by a very rude bartender who actually ended up apologizing for his attitude once I brought it to his attention. We walked down more stairs to the "beach" and although it was nice and secluded there wasn't much of a beach to enjoy. Although Jaime the guy that manages activities at the beach was great and very friendly. Once our room was ready we walked back up all the stairs (which makes for a great workout) and were taken to our room. First thing we noticed was that the AC unit was not working in our room and it was extremely hot, much more than outside. The guy that helped bring the luggage said give it a moment and it would cool down. However even at the coldest setting 17deg Celsius the unit kept switching off and it never cooled off. The mini bar consisted of 2 beers 2 sodas and 2 waters and nothing else. He said that's all that would be provided on a daily basis. The beer was warm and the refrigerator was not working properly. We called the front desk and instead of offering to bring us cold beer, she told us to put ice in the beer to cool it down. We couldn't imagine spending 4 days at a "resort" without working AC and with unfriendly and non helpful staff so we left after several hours and went to hotel riu...much better way to spend our vacation! I would not recommend that hotel until they do some major renovations including staff change.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Barcelo, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia