“Poor customer service/needs updating”

Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Poor customer service/needs updating”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I gave this hotel two stars because of the stunning view when you first walk into the reception area. But that was the best part of our 3 hour stay there.

When we arrived to the hotel we were told we needed to wait to check in because our room wasn't ready. So we went to the hotel bar by the front desk for water and to escape the heat for a moment. The bartender informed us that the AC unit was not working there and it was hotter inside than outside. So we walked down the 50+ stairs to go to the pool. We stopped to get a drink at the pool bar and we were met by a very rude bartender who actually ended up apologizing for his attitude once I brought it to his attention. We walked down more stairs to the "beach" and although it was nice and secluded there wasn't much of a beach to enjoy. Although Jaime the guy that manages activities at the beach was great and very friendly. Once our room was ready we walked back up all the stairs (which makes for a great workout) and were taken to our room. First thing we noticed was that the AC unit was not working in our room and it was extremely hot, much more than outside. The guy that helped bring the luggage said give it a moment and it would cool down. However even at the coldest setting 17deg Celsius the unit kept switching off and it never cooled off. The mini bar consisted of 2 beers 2 sodas and 2 waters and nothing else. He said that's all that would be provided on a daily basis. The beer was warm and the refrigerator was not working properly. We called the front desk and instead of offering to bring us cold beer, she told us to put ice in the beer to cool it down. We couldn't imagine spending 4 days at a "resort" without working AC and with unfriendly and non helpful staff so we left after several hours and went to hotel riu...much better way to spend our vacation! I would not recommend that hotel until they do some major renovations including staff change.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KD0811

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Its been a year in the making, as our honey moon was last year so I am unsure if there are any changes since however here is my review:

Positives:
Good staff who are friendly,
the resort when I was there was spotless and the grounds were nice, nice to see wildlife around the grounds
The range of cocktails for those interested was really good
The nearby beach is nice and secluded
Breakfast was good and had a good range

Bad:
The time share pressure, we had just gotten off the plane after hours of travel when we were told we were scheduled for a meeting the next morning, I go to enough meetings in work and did not appreciate this after a long flight to my honeymoon destination, this was one of the first things said to us by the rep in the airport, and it wasnt presented as something optional, however I was exhausted and was clear I wouldnt be attending. I really did need that pressure as I arrived in the airport at 11pm at night after hours of travel.

The dinners were not up to scratch for a weeks holiday, by the end of the week we were really sick of the evening meals, which often consisted of greasy fried food.The Japanese restaurant was the biggest let down. I love a good evening meal on holidays but we did not really experience that at this resort. The best meal we had was outside the resort with a Costa Rican family as part of an excursion we did. It was a simple meal but far better than the resort.

A team of cheer leaders were staying at the resort shooting their calendar no less! Very pretty women to have around the place it has to be said!!.However it became clear that all other guests were secondary to this group while at the resort, their needs were catered to primarily, this became a talking points amongst many of the guests, I dont think preferential treatment should be so obvious at a resort, it was here. The swimming pool was out of bounds for an entire day to build a stage just to accommodate a performance of sorts by the cheer leaders. You were not allowed to use the pool for an entire day, and no advance warning was given, I would have preferred a swim to be honest, cheer-leading is not necessarily of interest to most cultures outside of the US, no disrespect but it was certainly shoved down our throats that week. This is not something most guests will have to contend with I suppose however I was on my honeymoon and felt like a second rate guest, as did others, not ideal, therefore the entire scenario reflected badly on management.

The daily water/beer promises for the bedroom did not materialise for us.

Our room was decent but only because i emailed in advance and stated I wanted a nice room, from what I heard from guests some of the rooms are not great.

It is possible to have a good holiday at this resort and we had a nice time, however I would not recommend it for a special holiday such as a honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank missybIreland
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I honestly do not understand some of the bad reviews here. This resort was fantastic. The staff was so energetic and welcoming, I actually missed them when we left! The fun club by the pool always has something for you to do. Don't be cheap - tip the servers just $5 or $10 and they will bring you a continuous stream of drinks to the pool or the beach without you having to ask them. The room was clean, always had fresh towels. It was not cold, but a comfortable temperature. You are in Costa Rica - GOOD LUCK finding a place that's cold!
The food was mediocre, that's my only complaint, but I am also from NY where we have the best food in the world.
If you want to plan excursions I would avoid the tour companies by the snack bar. They are going to charge you a lot of money. Go to the beach and book a tour with Larry or Johnny D. They are both great. Some would say they are trying to rip you off - but really they're just making a living. We had a fantastic PRIVATE tour of the volcano with Johnny D. He was amazing and I'd book another tour with him if we had more time down there.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2 which was great - we could walk to the pool or the lobby without needing the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kelly P
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I would recommend this hotel for a lovely, peaceful getaway in Costa Rica. The hotel staff were very pleasant and accomodating at all times. Jacqueline was so nice and super on details always checking in that all was okay whenever she saw us in the lobby - even arranged a birthday cake with 'no singing please!' successfully - kudos for that! Loancy was a great activities leader by the pool or at the evening games in the lobby. We heard many others say too, how good he was at his job! He was fun and funny, always so enthusiastic and energetic, going above and beyond to involve the guests and to put a smile on your face. Thank you also Loancy for taking time to show us the little black starfish - what a treat! and the dance lessons were fun too! Our room was lovely, the food was the excellent and the a la carte restaurants were definitely a 5* plus! The only downside to the vacation was being there at the end of the dry season, a bit too dry and hot...but we will just have to visit CR next time earlier in the year!

Room Tip: We had a room quite far from the main buildings, second level, nice view, quiet and since we enjoy w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beverly B
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I wouldn’t recommend this resort to anyone. My girlfriends and I wanted to travel to Costa Rica for an adventure trip and we were satisfy with the country; however we didn’t experienced the same with this resort. We were robbed by housekeeping or whoever has access to the room. When we filed the complaint with the concierge they gave us the run around. First they said that one additional person besides housekeeping entered our room, and that they were going to check on the camera to see who had entered the room. When we went back to follow-up they simply stated that no one had entered the room besides housekeeping and then that’s when we learned that there is no camera installed in the building we stayed in. the most shocking part was the lack of professionalism that we received from the general manager, Agnes Yousif, who showed us no empathy what so ever, was extremely arrogant, rude and had the audacity to used sarcasm as a way to insult our intelligence and minimizes or petty the robbery as if we were to blame for the robbery. However, the entertaining crew did a great job by helping us forget about the bitter taste of our bad experience. The Food is really good in the main restaurant/buffet and the service among the other hotels employees was really good as well. We also liked the oriental restaurant we had a great surprise there. Also the air conditioner in the room is poor and the electricity kept going on and off one night for approximately 30 minutes, it was very frustrating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Denisse21
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Came to grand Papagayo because I am a first club members and wanted to see another destination .
At the pool they have everyone together because they only have one pool no private area .at the pool they have no bar , the pool walls are dirty because they are just adding Chemicals and a paint job is needed on the bottom because the paint on some areas is going away.
The buffet food is always the same thing. They had no choice of different types of foods. Oh the food was always cold !

On the other hand, the room were cleaned and well kept together.
The persons who has been most helpful and made our say fun and exciting. Were Anthony from the fun club, Edwin -down stairs bar ,Rousby VIP bar and Estevan - guess staff

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Mercy0225
ontario canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I would recommend this hotel to any traveller visiting Costa Rica. Accomodating staff eager to help in any way. I did not have towels in my room one day so I called down and in 20 minutes the maid knocked on my door with 5 bath towels and hand towels. It's a more relaxing environment with relaxing entertainment. The food was amazing and the tours offered were fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Costa Rica!!

Room Tip: try to avoid the higher floors b/c there is no elevator. Stay at the bottom level.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Occidental Papagayo - Adults only? Share your experiences!