“costa rica” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Valley Stream, New York
“costa rica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My family and I went to Costa Rica and a fantastic time. We stayed at the Occidental Grand Papagayo. The service was wonderful. The food was great. Adults only property. The only problem was that it didn't have a swim up bar. They did have waiter service at the pool. The entertainment in the evening was enjoyable. The spa had great massage. We took some tours with swiss travel which was great. We truly enjoyed the catamaran sail and the Arenel sky tram tour. My husband and sons went on the atv and loved it. I would recommend this property. Loved Costa Rica and would go back.

Room Tip: we had the deluxe concierge room which gave us free internet we got wine and fruit
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank maggie13042

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Polish first
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked an 18 day tour of CR- which was fantastic, we did SO much and saw SO many parts of this beautiful country- including Nicaragua, it will stay with us for a long time. We had read so many damning reports of this hotel that we were really quite nervous when we reached this the last hotel of the tour for just over a week's relaxing break. We were so looking forward to being able to finally empty our suitcases and to just relax. We arrived from Guachiplelin which was another road journey full of guanacaste trees and mountain scenery, we passed the Rio Colorado, very stoney areas and noticed just how DRY the area was becoming- so different to the Caribbean side of the country, Our driver did us a big favour stopping off at Jumbo supermarket complex at Liberia on the way as we had opportunity to buy up more mossie spray,snacks, mixers for our duty frees,lemons and honey(for my tea) etc- we were booked all inclusive but I still like to know I have all I require without having to pay resort overprices.The selection of fruit was amazing- and the prices of tequila unbelievably cheap. The journey was great to view further farmlands and learn more about this country.We were lucky to spot a white swan necked heron on the way- only seen in CRica aswell as brown turtles, the sugar cane fields remind you of Mauritius but the beautiful tall trees are unique to this country.
Once we drove off the main Alaska- Panama road we turned off to a small industrial area full of bathroom and kitchen warehouses and a modern hospital building then avenues of mango trees- never seen so many lining one road, then flatlands and always the mountains in the distance,then we noticed lots of burnt soil,leafless trees,dry scrubland like in western Australia. We then entered a very UNnatural area- signs for Panama beach, Coco beach, various hotels- but all far apart from one another. Unlike the rest of our stays this was obviously a large hotel area and therefore very touristey... I am glad that we didn't just come here for an 18 day stay as we'd never see the REAL Costa Rica, here we didn't see any local towns etc until towards the end of our stay when we were invited by locals to attend a Bull fiesta at Sardinal town.I was beginning to think that we would be stranded in the hotel as our driver told us it would cost $40 for a taxi ride from Occidental to the nearest supermarket- seemed rather dear for CR. Seemingly tourists are sitting ducks here - just waiting to be ripped off- shame really.
Reception was welcoming- champagne and cold towels- the temperature here was MUCH hotter than previous 7 hotels.Cynthia told us they had no upper floor rooms as we had requested- hubby was ready to leave at this point- I dislike bugs creeping in on the ground floor.We were taken by buggies to view several rooms but the one she had reserved for us -believe it or not- the ground floor room -was the best- we had no neighbours above or below, no steps to negotiate and it was in the quietest part of the resort, very natural and with plenty of space out front to walk straight out onto the grass area with trees and a WONDERFUL view acrosss the bay and you can hear the sea rolling in- what more do you want ? We struck lucky- and looking at the rooms in the blocks we really did have the best. We were far from the pool and reception, dining areas etc but that was no problem as you just dial for a buggy which comes to collect you straight away.We met an American couple who had a time share there- their accomodation was huge with two bathrooms, two bedrooms and sitting areas etc but our location I felt was perfect.So despite feeling downcast at first we did in fact get a fab place and had no trouble at all for the rest of the 8 days.
Rooms are all slightly different- ours was deluxe ocean view and larger than some.A/C was very quiet- I didn't hear it once.The A/c switches off after you've left a door or patio open for a while- good idea.Plenty of fluffy towels,very comfortable bed and sheets etc all nice quality. Lots of furniture in the room- glass table with bowls of fruit, fridge that made no rumbling noise like some fridges can- water and mixers provided.Ironing board and iron provided, bathrobes,large wardrobe space and a good large safe.Only thing I would have wanted more would have been a bath- I do like to stretch out and have the option of shower or bath but hey, the view is to die for...you can't always have it all.
When the sun came up it was sizzling hot, we sat in the chairs on the porch observing wildlife as it crossed over the grass area- lizards, iguanas, koatamundis, parrots,white throated blue magpies, pale coloured squirrels,fincheseven chirping hummingbirds- one morning I opened up the curtains to see a really LONG black and yellow striped snake on our porch floor outside- only to the see it was a sleeping giant iguana - its body and head were hidden under the table- the "snake" was its huge tail- when I moved the curtain it lumbered off across the parched grass area heading towards the hedges- even the security guy took foties of it - it was the largest iguana ever seen- aka dinosaur.We were lucky to be able to see the sun rise from our room and see the sun set from the left.
Maid service was good tho I did notice that there was some romancing going on so I'm not sure what sort of work was completed by the maid and service men in vacating rooms! Some maids did have a language barrier if you didn't speak Spanish but everyone else on the staff spoke perfect English and you were easily understood. Staff were all great- very friendly, accomodating and always a smile to greet you.
I really don'y know why some folk have said that the food is not good here- maybe they expect too much? There are three ala carte restaurants- we tried the Oriental first night, small place,very dark, modern with some lovely Chinese silk artefacs behind glass, waiters dressed in black/white Chinese style,VERY cold A/C, you can reserve a private sliding door tea house type room for privacy where you sit on the floor.Only criticism is that the portions are small, there is a menu which is good and the food is served artistically- the fish dishes are good.The Italian was my favourite- the ambiance is discreet, lovely vaulted ceilings and candelabras- lovely high backed sofa seats, felt quite medieval- and the food was really nice- we celebrated my Birthday here and altho the menu was great we asked for mahi mahi fish which was not on the menu that day - delicious- aswell as providing us with other alternative dishes- mixed seafoods etc and a beautiful surprise cake. It can be a bit dark in there also. It is a special place with classical music in the background- sedate. We ordered our favourite Malbec wine at both these restaurants which proved very expensive- $43 a bottle !!! tip- order the house wine which is part of the all inclusive deal- we didn't know this at the time.The third is the Mexican which is further down from the pool area and is also open for lunches during the day. We had good reports on this but never tried it ourselves. The dining room is buffet style breakfast- looks like Betty's tea rooms in the morning with cake stands on each table- doilies etc sweet, lunches are served here and at the pool side dining room and dinners are served here and at the ala cartes.There is ample choice through the day- B'fast: eggs however you like them, crispy bacon, sausages, various tasty breads, fruits, European breakfasts with meats and salads, different beans, stuffed tortillas, fried spuds,plantain etc a bloody Mary port,cereals, porridge, choice of teas and good coffee etc etc.
Lunches and dinners are varying- fish, steaks, pork,local foods,good choice of vegetables,salads and desserts, the pool dining area has chips, pizzas etc as well as main course meals. Everything is nicely laid out and the cakes and ice creams are also good. You won't go hungry- buffet food is always best served fresh- and its not like a cruise menu with lobsters and all the accutriments but it is better than standard food. If you want proper local food then I suggest the cafes- but I didn't see many of these in the vicinity- certainly not within walking distance.It is a largeish hotel and has to cater for many people- maybe to justify some of the other criticisms is that we did stay at an Occidental in Mexico at Xcaret several years ago and the food was much superior to here- but as I say- you won't go hungry and you won't get an upset stomach, I would class it as probably 4 star for the buffets.You might see the woman manageress lurking in the buffet- she tends to sit a table for a while and observe the poor staff then flit off- she always seemed grumpy to me.
The bar at the side of the lobby also serves snacks and drinks throughout the day and is small enough to get to talk to other guests.They had a fantastic saxophonist entertaining one night and dance routines etc others- we didn't spend much time in the entertainments place and neither are we animation team fans- but they were good at the poolside and not pushy like some can be- and their dance routine was good. We preferred to be at the beach for most of the day and talking to folk in the evenings with meals and afterwards.
The public beach area is narrower than expected- but natural and beautiful- trees cascade down to the water,the bay is lovely, water can be strong undercurrents so beware but great for walking up and down- you can get complete quiet at the end of the bay where the rocks start and there are lots of hermit and ghost crabs to observe. They especially come out at night- so a torchlit midnight walk is a must.The steps down to the beach from the hotel are steep but there is also a public path through the woods which I guess you could use? The tide comes in right up to the trees so sometimes you have to abandon beach and stop off at the thatched bar nearby. There are a couple of lovely lasses- Maria and Gabriella who sell jewellary and ceramics as you step onto the beach- they are from Nicaragua and very warm and friendly- they even shared their food with us- delicious! There are also 3 guys who alternate their days on the beach selling tours Larry, Johnie and I forget the last one aswell as a really strong masseur woman who live in Coco beach- best massage in Costa Rica- under the shelter of the trees on the beach with the sea in front. You can also book a more expensive massage in the hotel just up from the thatched bar area..There are a couple of other guys who hang around- security and the young Diego- he can talk to you about anything at all- and at length ! he was the one who invited us to his vilage to the fiesta which showed us proper CR culture- we ate at he local bar/meeting place there and then strolled through the town to the bull fiesta.
There is still a lot of wildlife on the beach- pelicans,diving birds, lots of fish. We booked a sunset cruise with one of the guys- it was ok, a small boat but it was fun- drinks and small snacks provided, not your catamaran trip at all but it was fun, we came back home in a small bus in the dark- Bruno looked after us- he was interesting to talk to about fishing, we saw flying fish as we reached the shoreline.We also booked a trip to Nicaragua- I will write this review separately.
We had a fantastic storm one night which blew the electrics for a while- no probs, made it feel good.Lots of guests from America here- I felt that being from England we were an attraction for them- everone was SO friendly and interested and wanting to spend a bit of time talking to you- thank you to Jodie, Connie, Ginny, Pam and Sharon, Bob, Ted don't know what happened to the emails we didn't receive.
In all we had a wonderful stay in CR- we did so many things and we were looking for rest and relaxation at the end- this hotel fitted the bill for what we required at the time. I am however glad that we didn't just stay at this hotel as we would never have seen the CR that is so diverse and local.

Nicaragua

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Rebecca M
Birmingham, AL, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Occidental Grand Papagayo for a 4 night, 5 day, all-inclusive vacation for myself and husband.

PROS:
- Attractive, modern resort with nice, clean, comfortable, spacious rooms. Updated finishes; rooms are separated into buildings with 5-12 units each. Decent privacy.
- Good food, great breakfast buffet
- Easy access from the airport
- Pool is centrally located and large
- Fun activities/excursions, nice beach, snorkeling/kayaking is easy and fun
- Drinks are good, and the bar tenders are friendly and willing to make almost anything.
- The best part of this resort is the staff. They were all very friendly, talkative, helpful, and polite. FANTASTIC STAFF!
**Ignacio at the bar-huts near the beach was really fun and made great drinks!

CONS:
- Make sure you schedule and CONFIRM a shuttle to and from airport. We had a shuttle included in our booking with a confirmation number and we still had trouble.
- You can hear almost everything the people in the room next to you say/do. Toiletries are not provided in your room.
- The food is good, BUT too Americanized. The restaurant options are buffet, which has a variety of food "themes" as well as a Mexican, an Italian, and an "Oriental" restaurant.
- It is not easy to come/go from the resort. There are excursions which are fun if you want to spend the extra money. They range from $60-$200/person, and some of them take all day. There is an option to go to Coco Beach which is about a 20 min car ride for a cost of $40. (We split it with another couple). Coco Beach is a typical Central American tourist town where you can buy souvenirs.

Overall, we probably won't stay here again simply because the "all-inclusive" concept is just not our thing. If it is your taste, then you will have a very relaxing, enjoyable trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laceface
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

As I was all around Costa Rica and Nicaragua on a photography exploration business trip, the resort was nice/clean and ecumenical. Great choice for spirits/service/food/culture/nature...all in 1. The free wifi worked great all around the resort. The beach was one of the cleanest in the area. I got good advice from the workers all around on where to go and where not to. I was in town for the July 25th Guanacaste celebration and it was a bang at the hotel and all around the province. The howling monkeys also are in full effect and are joy to see all around jumping from tree to tree. Oh, and the bars have a wide selection of drinks at each bar!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CalvinLionel
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS "ALL-INCLUSIVE" PROPERTY! Resort is sub-par and not well maintained. The food was mostly inedible and the drinks were bogus. Not worth the price! The property is not well-maintained and management cutbacks are very obvious, trickling down to the guests. In short, once you're there you're a captive audience. Although, we met several guests who arrived and planned on departing the very next day, because of their displeasure with the "resort." I guess if you complain immediately, you can wiggle out of staying there longer than one night.

TRAVELERS BEWARE: Our travel party selected this property because it boasts being an adult-only, all inclusive resort. It was moderately priced and looked beautiful online. However, if you look closely at the property's online marketing photos you'll notice that they're taken with a fish eye lens to make things appear grander. If you want a more accurate view of this property and what it has to offer, look at traveler photos which will tell a truer story.

FOOD & DRINKS: I can't describe the food without saying it was just awful. The only good part about the buffet was the dessert selection and the marvelous fruit, which was consistently delicious. I'm absolutely certain that the drinks did not contain much alcohol, if any at all. My friends and I were on our yearly vacation and had cocktails daily in our efforts to have fun and make the best of our situation. NOT ONCE did any one of us enjoy the relaxing effects of cocktails.

SERVICE: Most of the staff was extremely nice and I have nothing but positive things to report about them. My room was extremely clean, but then again I tipped my maid generously and she took excellent care of me.

CONS:
*The buffet food was mostly inedible and unrecognizable.
*The Italian restaurant was the worst! Food was absolutely horrible.
*The drinks were watered down or had no alcohol whatsoever.
*Room was very small and institutional in appearance. The lock on my balcony door was broken and there was a wooden plank which was used to keep door closed! I didn't feel safe.
*The minibar selections were cheesy and only contained low-grade beverages. They were always warm. No snacks included.
*The time share assault the moment you walk onto the property: We were approached by a timeshare rep before we even checked into our rooms - baiting us with tour discounts if we attended a sales presentation. The timeshare manager, Andrew, was particularly belligerent, insulting and rude. It was not worth the $25 per head discount to be insulted and berated by that imbecile. I walked out.
*Low-grade public, common areas. Cigarette burns on seats. Tears in the shuttle cart seats. Poolside chairs were most dirty and required cleaning.
*Food services ended at 9:30 p.m.
*Upgrading to high speed WiFi connectivity for an extra fee. The basic WiFi connection was better and at no extra cost.

PROS:
*Most of the staff is wonderful and friendly.
*Fruit was incredible and delicious. (Thank God, because I survived the week by eating fruit.)
*My bedding was always immaculate and fresh.
*The wildlife on the property were docile and so interesting.
*The resort location is tucked into the side of a hill. Beautiful.
*The views from the Ocean Deluxe rooms are lovely.
*The private beach is underrated and just amazing.

I will definitely return to Costa Rica as it is a wonderful destination, rich in culture and natural beauty. However, I feel as if I was taken advantage of, and I could have had an amazing experience had I stayed at a nice resort.

Room Tip: Be on top of basic requirements and be verbal about what needs to be corrected.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
12 Thank MariaBx
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel was an ALL INCLUSIVE and ALL ADULT resort. After staying at other places such as the RIU, The Occidental Grand Papagayo by far was above and beyond in service, ambiance, quality of food and drink, atmosphere, you name it.

The staff was very attentive without being smothering. Activities were just the right amount and intensity, they posted so you didn't have to wonder or ask questions. The resort was designed so that all rooms had a fantastic view and felt secluded in their own way. This was a NON SMOKING ECO-FRIENDLY RESORT with wildlife everywhere!

There's another hotel that may be confused with this one (the Allegro) which got bad reviews.. This one was ALL ADULT (no kids, no drama) which was the difference. I have nothing against kids but I think from now on when my husband and I travel, we're choosing the ALL ADULT resort whenever possible.

We've traveled to some of the most beautiful places in the world and stayed at magnificent places - The Occidental Grand Papagayo ranks in our top 4 places - HONESTLY!

Room Tip: Any room is fantastic.. we stayed in building 3.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer A
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

After a gross overbooking incident at the Allegro Papagayo ("Papa? Can we please go?") I was upgraded to this sister property. It's newer and somewhat sleeker albeit smaller. The buffet offers higher quality food than the Allegro.

It's strangely described as adults-only. While there were no apparent children running around and peeing in the pool, I could have sworn I heard some childish screams and chatter. Maybe it was just the tropical heat getting to me. Other than that, I'm not sure what adults-only means. The same blaring techno/pop music is pumped around the pool area, the same pre-made slushed drinks served and poolside dance classes offered as the Allegro.

A the suggestion of the tour booking agent, I advised guest services of my late tour return time which was after the buffet closed and any of the restaurants. He said he would arrange a meal to be in my room for when I returned. It sounded too good to be true because... well, it wasn't true. No meal awaited me after a 15 hour tour. Starving and on the brink of punching someone, I went to the buffet only to be told it was closed (they were taking away the dishes as I vented, food smells wafting my way). After some huffing and puffing and the mandatory flaring of nostrils, I was told a "banana sandwhich" would be bought to my room in 20 minutes.

An hour later as I was preparing to go to bed famished and on he brink of collapse and having given up all hope, a staff member bought in a sandwhich AND a banana. Quite frankly he could have brought in sand and a bandana and I would've eaten it.

The air con in my room would only operate at full turbo typhoon force or not at all. Luckily there was also a ceiling fan.

The property is nicely decked out with attentive staff. My advice is if you must stay in the area, pay a few extra bucks and stay here rather than the Allegro.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool and lobby if noise is an issue.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,940 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Occidental Papagayo - Adults only? Share your experiences!