We loved this resort. It is a smaller resort and set on a hill. There is alot of steps to get to your room, pool, bars, etc. so you get plenty of exercise during the week -- but they do have a shuttle service, which we didn't use. The grounds are immaculate!
It's a very clean resort. The bar fridge was not filled every second day as advertised but we didn't inform them of it as we didn't spend much time in the room. The staff is so nice and friendly and I'm sure any little problems you would have would be resolved. The weather was very hot....high 30's.
The ride from the airport to the hotel is only about 30 minutes and enjoyable listening to "Lalo" ....our tour guide....he was so funny! Check-in was well organized and quick. They offer a welcome drink. The rooms weren't quite ready but that was no big deal.....it gave us a chance to explore the resort and have a few drinks after the 5 hour flight. When we went to our room, our luggage was already in there.
The rooms are nice and clean. No problems with anything. Air conditioner worked great. The balcony was great to see some wildlife and relax.
There is a buffet supper and 2 a la carte's. We didn't try the a la cartes because we took alot of tours and by the time we were back at the resort, we just wanted to relax with drinks and a buffet. The buffet had a different theme every night and was very good. It's a smaller buffet due to the resort being a small resort (169 rooms) but plenty to eat. The snack/pool buffet is great. Nice variety for a snack bar! Nachos, pizza, salads and much more.
The lobby bar is nice. There's couches and chairs all over to relax on. There's also a beach bar. The bartenders are all so great and eager to serve you.
The pool is nice! and again smaller due to the small resort. There's plenty of loungers ...some in shaded areas and some in sun. There's plenty of pool activities daily.
There isn't any night time entertainment on this resort other than live musicians in the lobby a few times during the week. There's so many things to do in Costa Rica, that most people were off on tours (including us) and not spending alot of time at the resort. The resort had a Sunset Adventure Walk which is nice because you walk to an area where you get the best view of the sunset, which is beautiful. They also have snorkling tours and kayaking tours.
Off the resort there's plenty to do. There's alot of tours....from volcanos, wildlife, beach, snorkling, zip-lining, etc. We took the Arenal Volcano/Hot Springs tour, Palo Verde boat tour and the Nicaragua tour (which I highly recommend). We booked our tours at the hotel but were told from several guests that Larry on the beach is absolutely great for tours. We would of considered him if we would of known sooner....but our tours were also great.
Costa Rica is heaven for the nature/wildlife lover!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Guanacaste on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica,The Adults Only Occidental Papagayo is only at 25 minutes from the Liberia International Airport. This Resort surrounded by nature, boast lush tropical landscape with scenic views of Bahia Culebra in Papagayo Golf.Ideal for couples, honeymooners and adult guest seeking a relaxing getaway. The Occidental Papagayo offers a highly personalized five star all- inclusive experience delivered by an attentive and dedicated staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Odigeo, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Occidental Papagayo - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia