Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$661
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
US$87
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$373
US$273
Travelocity
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$194
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$239
US$1,101
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
1,825 results
All reviewschao pescaoostrario bhongotapas restaurantcevicheadult poolfour seasonsarepasstraw hatsbeach clubfamily poolflip flopsbeach baggolf cartbay viewcosta ricamixology class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just finished a fantastic stay at the Andaz, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation within a natural environment.

The level of service is very high, starting with the general manager, who was very accommodating with my requests, and connected me to the right folks on the property based on my various needs.

The staff was very friendly, including Ignacio at the front desk, and another person whose name I can't remember, but drove us around the property twice. The greatest thing about the staff, based on my observations and what I learned while on property, was that everyone's encouraged to be their "best self," which helps to give the resort a local, Costa Rican feel.

We ate many meals at Rio Bhongo (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and the quality was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly just because I had read some middling reviews previously, but my experience tells me those folks either had a poor experience, or were wrong. While their breakfast buffet doesn't have a ton of hot food options, the selections they did offer was quite satisfying.

We also had a couple of dinners at Chao Pescao, including one night when they had live music. I can't recommend doing that enough -- the food was great, and the music just added so much to the atmosphere. Mind you, I was with my family, along with friends and their family, so we were probably the only ones with kids in the restaurant, but it was still one of the trip's highlights.

Room
We were very fortunate to have been upgraded to an Andaz Suite, and in my opinion, it was probably one of the best suites on property, as it overlooked the main pools, the bay, and Rio Bhongo. Waking up with the view we had was so invigorating.

The suite was spacious, and thoughtfully designed. Plenty of power outlets everywhere, and all of the glass walls/doors opened up to create an outdoorsy feel, if you wanted to do so.

The bathroom was well-designed, and the shower offered great water pressure. The bed was quite comfortable, and the overall modern decor infused with eco/nature elements perfectly fit my taste.

Amenities
My wife had a massage at the spa, and she enjoyed it very much. That said, she did say that the spa doesn't have a whole lot of amenities or facilities that one might expect to find in another luxury hotel. We visited the gym as well, and while it was perfectly adequate, I did wonder why they didn't position it to take advantage of the gorgeous views of Culebra Bay.

Of the multiple pools, we spent the vast majority of our time at the family pool, which was terrific. One wish I did have was that poolside umbrellas offered more shade, as it was nearly impossible to find any lounger that wasn't fully in the sun during the morning/early afternoon hours. Also, the loungers aren't adjustable, so you either were sitting mostly upright, or completely prone on your back.

The hotel has two beaches -- the closer and easier-to-get-to beach is where the activities are. It was fine, but I recommend going further and checking out the second beach. There are no chairs there, and no equipment to reach (e.g., snorkels, kayaks), but you'll practically have the beach to yourself because everyone else is either at the pool or the other beach.

Lastly, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the Prieta Beach Club, marina and other locations on the peninsula. While we did check out the beach club, and it offers a difference experience that what's available at the Andaz, I personally preferred the Andaz pools/beaches. Plus, if I had a major complaint, it'd probably be the shuttle.

We originally had scheduled it for an 11 a.m. pickup. It didn't arrive until close to 11:30 a.m., so we wasted a fair amount of time at the lobby (which normally wouldn't be that bad, but when you have three antsy kids ages 2-6 with you, it can get challenging). Then, for the return, we asked the beach club to arrange for a pickup at a certain time. However, the attendant didn't bother calling for the shuttle until we actually showed up, at the pre-arranged time, so we were made to, once again, wait for the shuttle more than necessary (though I recognize this part is something the resort has little control over).

Other
This resort has an abundance of butterflies, monkeys and iguanas. It was so much fun to be amidst all of that nature. While we stayed on property for the majority of our trip, the way the resort was set up and designed, we felt like we got a great sense of Costa Rica's natural wonders.

All in all, this trip was fantastic, and the experience at the Andaz was the major factor. We wanted some place relaxing, with top-notch staff, good food, and fun water facilities. We've already recommend the resort to a number of friends, and we've only been back home for one day. Hopefully we'll have another opportunity soon to visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 7, as it's closest to Rio Bhongo and Chao Pescao, along with the lobby and kids club.
1  Thank dagongster
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Andaz and for sharing your detailed review.

It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and that you savoured the pleasures of our resort and the Costa Rican nature. In term of our comments regarding the shuttle service we will make adjustments and make a test running them on a schedule to the beach club.

We definitely look forward to welcoming you back the Andaz. In the meantime, we wish you and your family all the best.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place is awesome, staff is wonderful, the resort is magical, the beach is awesome. We had food on the beach, snorkeling, kayaking etc. I would go back in a heartbeat. Oh I forgot the butterflies and monkeys-they are all over the property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm delighted you enjoyed your holidays at the Andaz and thank you for writing your review.

This time of the year the butterflies are indeed amazing to watch and I'm glad you also got to see some monkeys on property.

I hope you will find time to visit us again in the near future and indulge in more 'Pura Vida'.

With best regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our second trip to the Papagayo peninsula. Our prior stay several years ago was at the Four Seasons. We decided to try the Hyatt Andaz due to an excellent promotion and reviews/photos we had seen on the internet. Upon arrival by private transfer we were greeted with juice and empanaditas. We were immediately impressed with the serenity and beauty of the resort. Service was very personal; in fact the staff largely knew us by name after a couple of days. The environment felt very private, never crowded or loud. Flora and fauna are abundant, including Howler and Capuchin monkeys, iguanas and other lizards, clouds of butterflies attracted by the plantings, and colorful birds.

The room and architecture are top notch in design, contemporary with natural materials that blend with the environment. Retractable floor-to-ceiling glass doors allow you to open your room to the outside if you wish like a first-class tree house. The bathroom was wonderful with a large wall of glass, open shower, and pebble floor giving the illusion of bathing in the forest. A stocked and replenished complementary mini-bar contained snacks, water, milk, soft drinks, beer and coffee. Wired and wireless internet were the best I have experienced at any hotel. There are all kinds of fancy lighting and sound system controls which do have a learning curve.

The spa is wonderful; be sure to visit the wet sauna, and the meditation pavilion just before sunset when the monkeys come foraging for food. We ate all three restaurants and found them all to be good with different atmospheres; one a little bit hip with an excellent bar (Chao Pescao), one a little bit fancy with a variety of eclectic seating (Ostra), and the family friendly Rio Bhongo which overlooks the pool and has an adjacent coffee bar. There is also a beach club shared with guests from the Four Seasons which has a restaurant, though we did not visit. The two bayfront beaches at the resort are very private, protected, and great for kids, you may be the only person there at times. Kayaking, snorkeling, paddle-boarding, and jet-skis are available. One surprise is that there is very little in the way of shopping at the resort. A very few basics are available at the Rio Bhongo. Although local artisans visit several times a week, we were doing other activities when the artisans visited.

While visiting we had several minor medical issues including one requiring an EMS visit which left me in awe and ashamed of how a similar situation would be handled in my home country. The staff, including Esteban at the registration and paramedics handled everything promptly and professionally with genuine concern. We were totally impressed and a potentially serious medical issue abated quickly thanks to the very high level of service received. Vacation saved.

In summary, I highly recommend a visit to the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo. It is best suited to families, couples, and honeymooners. If it is privacy and personal service in a private setting you crave, this is the place. If loud music and drinking games, all inclusive food of dubious quality, and large crowds with trouble finding a chair at the pool are your preference, look elsewhere.

2  Thank AnotherOpinion
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your opinion! For us it's certainly way more than just 'another opinion'.

We are delighted you enjoyed your suite and the facilities around the resort. Flora and fauna are indeed spectacular this time of the year as the littel rain we had has brought out the best Costa Rica has to offer. I will also complement Esteban and our medical team for taking such great care of you.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Andaz next time you visit the Peninsula Papagayo.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

the hotel and grounds are truly beautiful! My husband and I are here with both our parents for their 60th birthday. The restaurants are all amazing and the staff was so nice to even bring out a full birthday cake after dinner! great attention to detail.
the only odd element is that they turn down the lights on half the pool at around 7. it seems a little early.

2  Thank Sherril H
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Sherril,

I'm so glad you are all enjoying your stay with us and you had a nice birthday celebration. Thank you for choosing Andaz for this special occasion.

We will have a good look at the timing of the pool lights, as they indeed should stay on longer in the evening. Thank you for pointing this out to us.

We wish you a great continuation of your stay.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This property and staff are simply wonderful. The food is so flavorful and delicious, rooms decorated so stylishly and the scenery breathtaking. Thank you BRENDA- check in was so special. XIRA is so lovely. We vacation a lot and this has been one of the best yet. We never want to leave!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Alexandra,

thank you for staying with us and for your fabulous review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time here at the Andaz and I will send your special compliments to Brenda and Xira for making the difference in your stay.

We definitely hope to welcome you back on the Peninsula in the near future.