“Can't imagine a happier place to experience”

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Mount Arlington, New Jersey
“Can't imagine a happier place to experience”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

From the minute I was greeted at this resort enjoyment began. The staff was always smiling and happy,attentive and pleased to be of service to you. This was present in all areas.It added to my enjoyment.The staff made you feel they were truly happy to be their for you. Your needs were anticipated and met with a sweet,kind, & pleasant attitude.You felt as if you were in their home. They were there to please you and that was done with a sense of pride which was so refreshing. They have figured out how to treat their guests so you felt as if you were a welcomed guest at this wonderful resort.The views from everywhere were a picture taking paradise.
Loved my room location. I faced the forest and could hear the waves on the shore of the bay and the howler monkeys...so funny . The doors open onto the deck/patio which faced the forest and when I took a shower (great shower head)it felt like I was outside....loved that.
The light comes on under the sink as soon as you approach it(nice touch) and that area was well lit.
The king size bed was comfortable as was the bed linens and pillows. The a/c was good and strong and appreciated after a day in the heat and sunshine.I appreciated having bottled water everyday and the fridge stocked as part of my room package I choose and loved the treats of tangerines and coconut goodies and cinnamon and sugar treats.The room was a great size and well appointed. The only drawback would be the lightening. I know this resort is eco friendly and I respect that however I would have to put on all the lights in order to see in all areas so I felt I was probably using more electricity then if it was more brightly lit and I would only need to use a light in the area I was in. Loved the dimmer switches..great for atmosphere and that is eco friendly.The curtains when drawn darken the room so it allowed me to sleep as late as I choose without bright light streaming in to wake me up. The infinity pools were delightful and well located with views of the bay and forest and our friends the monkeys. I so enjoyed watching them from the pools and beach and my room. The butterflies(my visit was from July 5-12)were spectacular,colorful and all around you and the amazing bright flowers which lined everywhere you walked. I love the location of this resort because your views were exciting whether it be of the pools or from the pools or forest or beaches .I scheduled a facial so I experienced the spa area.....not to be missed. That spot is so calming and relaxing and all products are from Costa Rica, pure and chosen carefully for your treatment. The food was great. Loved "Cheviche".Try it..so fresh and tasty. Each restaurants atmosphere was unique to itself and so were the menus. Enjoyed them all. Poolside service was fun. Someone would come by and offer you cold water with either apples in it or cucumbers or lemon or orange slices..quite refreshing and a sweet gesture. You can also order food at poolside. All the staff was spectacular and especially Michael Stevens,Xira,Caesar.
There is zip lining close by and there was also free snorkeling at the beach and you can arrange to play golf and visit another beach club associated with this resort. The pools at this location were awesome which included a lap pool too.
I hope to visit Costa Rica again some day.It's unique and memories were made I will treasure .
This a resort and experience I highly recommend... Pura Vida!!!! and Thanks for the memories.....Cathie Lowenbraun

Room Tip: My room faced the forest and was close to the Ostra restaurant. I liked this location. It was quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cathie86ridgeview
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Cathie,

thank you for choosing to stay with us earlier in July.

We are amazed by your review and appreciate you have pointed out so many details that you enjoyed around the resort. It is great to read that the team has managed to offer you great service. I promise to look into the lightening of our rooms to find the best balance between being eco friendly and our guests comfort.

Not only you; we also hope to have you back to refresh your memories on our Pura Vida in the near future.

With best wishes,

Michael Schmid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
SAINT PAUL
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for three days while looking for corporate event locations. Stayed in a one bedroom suite that was beautifully decorated by local craftsman. The restaurants and food are top notch! Try the amazing food and drinks at Chao Pescao. The spa is beautiful with an outdoor treehouse of a lounge. The treatments are wonderful and the treatment rooms first class! How about howler monkeys swinging by as you shower outside. And sitting up from your massage to the class wall open and tea waiting for you on the veranda. Worth every penny! Great staff willing to May your stay memorable too! Enjoy! We did!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear David,

it was great to read your experience at the resort and ONDA Spa has been this memorable. That monkey swinging by must really have been a highlight. What a Pura Vida moment!

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the resort and we definitely look forward having you back in the near future.

With best regards,

San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our 6-night stay at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo the last week in June. Even as we arrived late at night, we could already feel that we were in a magical place. Our room for the duration of our stay was a corner suite in building 7. It was convenient for us due to its proximity to everything - the lobby, the pool, the beach and the Rio Bhongo restaurant. There was plenty of room for the 4 of us. It was nice to sit on our balcony listening to music from the surround sound system hoping to catch a glimpse of a howler monkey or two. The pebbled bathroom with the walk-in rain shower is something I'm already missing. There is a large walk-in closet area where we realized after unpacking that we totally over-packed for the trip! There were complimentary snacks and drinks provided that were replenished each afternoon. We also received complimentary fedoras and flip flops (which will always remind us of our wonderful time at the Andaz!).

We ate most of our meals at Rio Bhongo and took advantage of their Kids Eat Free program. This helped keep the costs down. All our meals there were delicious. We also took the free shuttle to Prieta Beach Club once for an early dinner. Prices there were similar to the hotel. We were planning to go back to experience the beach and pool there, but we ran out of time. Truthfully, we just wanted to spend as much time as possible at the Andaz!

The beach and pool was where we spent most of our time. We had expected rain since it was considered the rainy season. However, it didn't rain a single day we were there.
At the beach, we made good use of the complimentary snorkeling equipment, kayaks and paddle boards. Jet skis for rent were available which was a lot of fun.

But, what really put this resort over the top for us was the Andaz staff - everyone we came across was genuinely friendly: there was Pablo and Andrea who were so welcoming as they checked us in and prepped our room our first night; Lucia, Michael and Carolina at Rio Bhongo who took the time to chat with us, take our pictures and joke around with our boys; Cesar who drove us around in the club cart a number of times; Manalo and Jose Abel hosting the s'mores night at the Cambi. Everyone always greeted us with a smile and a friendly 'Hola!'. The staff at the Andaz should all be commended.

We truly wished we could have stayed longer, there was still so much to do in the resort that we didn't get a chance to enjoy. ...six nights was definitely not enough. We can't wait to go back again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David J
Dear David and family,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Andaz. You definitely didn't spend enough time with us!

We are very pleased you took so many great memories from the Andaz back home and that you enjoyed spending time on property the most. Thank you also for highlighting so many of our staff members in your note that we will certainly reward for their personalized service.

We truly hope to welcome you back to the resort. Until then we wish you all the best,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were so happy with our stay here. We were able to be here for 7 days and had only a few things that stuck out negatively. Gorgeous place, friendly staff, incredible food!

Staff
They picked us up from the airport in Liberia, and we were so happy with our room. Everyone there was always smiling and acknowledging us, housekeepers, waiters, maintenance, and lawncare workers were all VERY friendly. We were there for a week and by the end they remembered who we were when we went to go eat.

Weather
We went during the "rainy season" but this year is an off year (?) because it rained for maybe an hour total, the whole seven days we were there. The "rainy season" might have scared off some people because it wasnt even close to full while we were there. Several times we were the only ones at the pool (which was a fantastic pool) and waiters would often bring over iced water without being asked and sometimes even smoothies.

Activities
They have a weekly event schedule and had things like smores nights, cooking classes, drink making classes, ping pong tourny. We attended a few things but the drink making class was amazing. We learned how to make a few different mojitos and had some of the best drinks ive ever had. We went kayaking (for free) down by the beach as well. The front desk suggested an all day trip and set it up for us which I thought was amazing as well. Oh! and they had a night of live music too.

Downsides
The housekeeping comes twice a day (my first time at a place that nice, which might be normal) but we got used to putting the "privacy" light on more regularly.
The restaurants that they have there (which are incredible) charge an extra 23% on your meals so make sure you are aware of that.

Room Tip: Our room was really close to the lobby which made it easy to walk to places but they will pick you u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Todd .
Dear Todd,

greetings from Andaz and thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We were delighted you both chose Andaz for your Honeymoon and we are all glad you had a good time. I'm very glad you found our resort gorgeous, the staff particularly friend and I will certainly compliment our chefs for the food you seem to have enjoyed so much. I'm also glad the weather treated you to a wonderful week.

We are hoping to be able to welcome you back to Costa Rica in the near future and wish you a fabulous and happy life together.

Puar Vida,

Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had the privilege of getting to stay at this amazing resort when I came to CR for a client meeting at this property. From start to finish, it is clear that Hyatt has thought of everything. Gorgeous views from every vantage point on the property, to amazing guest rooms - in the very short time this property has been opened (Dec 2013), they have perfected every aspect of resort living and resort meetings. It has been said that service is everything - and this staff doesn't miss a beat. From the reception staff, to the F&B staff, to the spa staff, to the housekeeping staff - they have taught them well. I was told by one of the staff members as I was leaving, that each and every employee takes great pride in the work they do - and it is evident. The meeting space is unique to say the least and perfectly appointed. As a speaker, there was nothing I didn't have at my fingertips to make my meetings perfect. The food & beverage at this property is some of the best I've had in a long time. The quality and creativity is unparalleled. Finally, Andaz is committed to making sure they have an impact on each community they are in - and this property is no different. From the partnership with local educational institutions, to the women's organizations that hand-crafted the cloth dry cleaning bags - it is clear they are part of their community. I cannot recommend this property enough for your next meeting or event.

Room Tip: There are 7 buildings and 2-4 seem to have a wider view available to them. I stayed in 213 and the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

greetings from Andaz and Costa Rica.

We are very thankful you enjoyed your recent stay with us and are grateful about your wonderful review.

Our meeting studios in the shape of cocoons are indeed designed to perfectly integrate with nature. It is important for us to reflect the local culture and customs and we have been very lucky finding great staff that reflect these values.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to another meeting at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort and share some more of our Pura Vida.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have done Punta Cana, Mexico, Saint Lucia and Puerto Rico. Costa Rica will definitely stand out as one of our memorable vacations! The Andaz, though pricey, is a luxurious, peaceful and relaxing hotel. Its respect for its natural surrounding is incredibly obvious from its architectural designs and use of natural raw construction materials. The infinity pools that looked like rivers or small beaches were spectacular!

The food was perfect! We have yet to meet a dish that we did not love. Paired with the awesome attention given to us by Kevin Gomez Rodriguez at the adult pool, made for an incredibly special and memorable vacation. One that I would likely repeat!

Our vacation at the Andaz will not be soon forgotten! We am leaving tomorrow, and cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing to stay at the Andaz during your trip to Costa Rica.

We a excited that your experience with us stands out as a memorable vacation and we are glad you were able to enjoy the flora & fauna in and around the resort. I will particularly congratulate Kevin at the Ostra Pool for making the difference in your stay.

We look forward to refreshing your memories on your next visit to Andaz.

Pura Vida,

Washington DC
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing stay. The resort has been built into the side if the mountain. Gorgeous views everywhere you look. Room is very modern and comfortable- has everything you need and more. Staff are friendly and available to zip you around on a golf cart should you not feel like walking up a hill. Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for staying at the Andaz and taking the time to share your thoughts.

We are delighted you highly recommend us and appreciated you enjoyed the room, the views and our service. There is much more Pura Vida to share and we look forward having you back with us.

With best regards,

Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,631 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,875 reviews
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort? Share your experiences!