“Lovely!”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
weehawken
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I just returned from a five day trip at this wonderful resort. For starters, I booked our stay months ago as a surprise trip for my boyfriends 30th birthday. I fell in love with the hotel right away! Corinne the guest relations manager helped me arrange reservations, transportation and sent me all the information I could possibly need!

The hotel itself is gorgeous and peaceful. But what will make your stay truly memorable is the service you will receive from pretty much everyone at this property. JJ from the front desk and Alan from the restaurant were so pleasant and helpful & EVERYONE at chao pescao helped create memorable evenings. The food was fantastic, drinks amazing, views are beautiful. You can't go wrong! There were only a few minor hiccups that occurred but everyone responded quickly to ensure it didn't affect our stay.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone :)

• Stayed July 2014
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for recommending Andaz!

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and highlighted the service and personal interactions you had with our team. I will make sure to compliment Corinne, JJ and Alan and our Chao Pescao team in particular.

I also hope there will be another birthday in the near future you could come celebrate!

Pura Vida,

Michael Schmid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I like to try to review things that make it easier for others to decide if they want to stay here or not.

First off - the hospitality prior, during and after the stay was stellar. Most everything we wanted or asked for was accommodated including having to rush to get checked out. I was most impressed by the cleaning staff who took extra time to set out bathroom items in an organized way and cleaning to a point of better than you would clean and organize your own stuff.

Value - As a AAA Member - I was able to book a great rate that was under the main rate that did not include breakfast while the AAA rate did include it. I was most impressed with the breakfast buffet each morning especially with the various juices that were available.

Activities in the hotel were abound but we just decided on the pools and watersports. The people helping you with that were great and offered water after each one and made sure we were safe at all times, including when wind picked up and the kayak went a little further with a current that was hard to work against. Let's just say, we made it back!

Do not be afraid to rent a car and to utilize the hotel - as soon as we told them we needed our car, it was valeted within a 5 minute time with the A/C blasting and it wasn't the type of activity that tips were needed for.

Oh, the tips - the restaurant will include a service charge and we'd round up past that, the first bellhop that helped us (He took a lot of time to inform us of different things about our room and what was available) and the cleaning staff (well deserved).

The tapas at the one restaurant was good but it wasn't a feast by any stretch and would take much more $$$ to fill up, maybe by, American standards? The drinks were good at the bar but - again - I can't say out of this world.

The seafood restaurant on the other hand exceeded expectations as far as service, food and price. My only negative is that there was a corking fee but I never asked, so I can't blame them for that.

The negatives? If you have somewhat limited mobility, you'll need to make sure that you use the golf carts to get to each place as the hills can be tricky as well as getting down to the beach. I would actually say this place is more reserved towards people under 55-60, no offense to the older folks but if you are over that and still kicking butt, no worries.

The path to get there was about 5-7 miles off the path of sorts until you start hitting things like stores and gas stations and it wasn't too bad to drive out to Coco beach. Spoke with some locals and said at night, speeding a little is fine but during the day - is when they are out. The last 5-7 miles you'll likely not run into much of anything except for others in rental cars or shuttles going back/to Papagayo.

I was happy to stay here and would consider it again! It was great for a romantic getaway.

One last note - As a professional wireless network architect - I would grade the wireless network highly for a hotel including that it is just an open SSID without the need of a proxy page that you have to keep on utilizing or any timeouts. If you are worried about needing a phone, don't be - just loan up Skype and Google Voice and you'll be set to keep in constant contact at home.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan F
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for having taken the time to share your wonderful feedback following your visit to Andaz. We aim to give personalized service and offer unique experiences throughout the resort.

I'm also glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and our Ostra Restaurant. Needless to say that a trip outside the peninsula can always add a little local flair to the visit.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you back!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here four nights in a junior suite with two adults and two kids. The whole experience is amazing! We came from three nights at the Hinton across the bay and it is crazy how different they are. Thankfully we did the Hilton first because it would have been a huge disappointment after being here.

From the moment you arrive the staff is over the top. They greet you with a cold towel, water bottle and pineapple empanadas. Then they drive you to your room while giving you a your of the property on
the way. Our bags beat us to our room and were in the (huge) closet waiting for us.
Our room had a neat swing to sit in as you walk in and a half bath. Then you entered the huge living room with desk, couch, Tv and several appliances near the complimentary mini bar. (I think we drank them out of diet cokes!) as you walk into the bedroom you pass the walk in closet and the huge bathroom with tub and shower with no walls. Off of the bedroom was a patio over looking the pool and with a view of the ocean. The hotel provided a straw beach bag to use as well as two straw hats and flip flops for the beach.

You have to use the spa and fitness center while you're here even if you don't have a treatment. The steam room and plunge pool were worth the visit.

Food was delicious! We had seen a recommendation to try the roasted pineapple dessert at Rio Bhongo and it did not disappoint.

I would recommend this resort to anyone!!! It is FABULOUS!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Susan N
Dear Guest,

thank you for your overwhelming recommendation. We could not be more thankful.

It is great to read you had such a good time with your family at the resort . And please don't worry; we still have plenty of Diet Coke in store.

Pura Vida! We hope to see you again on the Peninsula Papagayo,

Monsey, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Will be checking out of the hotel tomorrow, I wanted to leave a positive review even before checking out. You will never meet such HAPPY & FRIENDLY staff, I have stayed at multiple resorts in the past and never had that almost every staff member remembered our names knew our dietery needs and accommodated them with such care.

We brought along our own food and the hotel kept it in their freezer took out at the correct meal each morning and warmed it up for us in the oven.

Staff were always helpful and smiling!

The hotel is upkept, the rooms are beautiful! they came in twice every day to tidy up and the folded everything and left the room looking spectacular!

The managers went above and beyond to accommodate us and greeted us personally each time.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice getaway, the hotel was officially over 50% full every day as well as at 90% occupancy on some days, however it was quiet and peaceful and you hardly bumped into anyone.

Room Tip: ask for building 3 and 4 they are on the top of the hill with most privacy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mo_c0
Dear Guest,

Costa Rica is know to be 'the happiest place on earth'! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much and our staff was able to transmit their passion.

It was our pleasure to have you with us and help you with you with your dietary needs. I'm very glad it all worked out they way we planned it.

We hope to be able to welcome you back.

Mount Arlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2014

From the minute I was greeted at this resort enjoyment began. The staff was always smiling and happy,attentive and pleased to be of service to you. This was present in all areas.It added to my enjoyment.The staff made you feel they were truly happy to be their for you. Your needs were anticipated and met with a sweet,kind, & pleasant attitude.You felt as if you were in their home. They were there to please you and that was done with a sense of pride which was so refreshing. They have figured out how to treat their guests so you felt as if you were a welcomed guest at this wonderful resort.The views from everywhere were a picture taking paradise.
Loved my room location. I faced the forest and could hear the waves on the shore of the bay and the howler monkeys...so funny . The doors open onto the deck/patio which faced the forest and when I took a shower (great shower head)it felt like I was outside....loved that.
The light comes on under the sink as soon as you approach it(nice touch) and that area was well lit.
The king size bed was comfortable as was the bed linens and pillows. The a/c was good and strong and appreciated after a day in the heat and sunshine.I appreciated having bottled water everyday and the fridge stocked as part of my room package I choose and loved the treats of tangerines and coconut goodies and cinnamon and sugar treats.The room was a great size and well appointed. The only drawback would be the lightening. I know this resort is eco friendly and I respect that however I would have to put on all the lights in order to see in all areas so I felt I was probably using more electricity then if it was more brightly lit and I would only need to use a light in the area I was in. Loved the dimmer switches..great for atmosphere and that is eco friendly.The curtains when drawn darken the room so it allowed me to sleep as late as I choose without bright light streaming in to wake me up. The infinity pools were delightful and well located with views of the bay and forest and our friends the monkeys. I so enjoyed watching them from the pools and beach and my room. The butterflies(my visit was from July 5-12)were spectacular,colorful and all around you and the amazing bright flowers which lined everywhere you walked. I love the location of this resort because your views were exciting whether it be of the pools or from the pools or forest or beaches .I scheduled a facial so I experienced the spa area.....not to be missed. That spot is so calming and relaxing and all products are from Costa Rica, pure and chosen carefully for your treatment. The food was great. Loved "Cheviche".Try it..so fresh and tasty. Each restaurants atmosphere was unique to itself and so were the menus. Enjoyed them all. Poolside service was fun. Someone would come by and offer you cold water with either apples in it or cucumbers or lemon or orange slices..quite refreshing and a sweet gesture. You can also order food at poolside. All the staff was spectacular and especially Michael Stevens,Xira,Caesar.
There is zip lining close by and there was also free snorkeling at the beach and you can arrange to play golf and visit another beach club associated with this resort. The pools at this location were awesome which included a lap pool too.
I hope to visit Costa Rica again some day.It's unique and memories were made I will treasure .
This a resort and experience I highly recommend... Pura Vida!!!! and Thanks for the memories.....Cathie Lowenbraun

Room Tip: My room faced the forest and was close to the Ostra restaurant. I liked this location. It was quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cathie86ridgeview
Dear Cathie,

thank you for choosing to stay with us earlier in July.

We are amazed by your review and appreciate you have pointed out so many details that you enjoyed around the resort. It is great to read that the team has managed to offer you great service. I promise to look into the lightening of our rooms to find the best balance between being eco friendly and our guests comfort.

Not only you; we also hope to have you back to refresh your memories on our Pura Vida in the near future.

With best wishes,

SAINT PAUL
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for three days while looking for corporate event locations. Stayed in a one bedroom suite that was beautifully decorated by local craftsman. The restaurants and food are top notch! Try the amazing food and drinks at Chao Pescao. The spa is beautiful with an outdoor treehouse of a lounge. The treatments are wonderful and the treatment rooms first class! How about howler monkeys swinging by as you shower outside. And sitting up from your massage to the class wall open and tea waiting for you on the veranda. Worth every penny! Great staff willing to May your stay memorable too! Enjoy! We did!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear David,

it was great to read your experience at the resort and ONDA Spa has been this memorable. That monkey swinging by must really have been a highlight. What a Pura Vida moment!

Thank you for sharing your impressions of the resort and we definitely look forward having you back in the near future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our 6-night stay at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo the last week in June. Even as we arrived late at night, we could already feel that we were in a magical place. Our room for the duration of our stay was a corner suite in building 7. It was convenient for us due to its proximity to everything - the lobby, the pool, the beach and the Rio Bhongo restaurant. There was plenty of room for the 4 of us. It was nice to sit on our balcony listening to music from the surround sound system hoping to catch a glimpse of a howler monkey or two. The pebbled bathroom with the walk-in rain shower is something I'm already missing. There is a large walk-in closet area where we realized after unpacking that we totally over-packed for the trip! There were complimentary snacks and drinks provided that were replenished each afternoon. We also received complimentary fedoras and flip flops (which will always remind us of our wonderful time at the Andaz!).

We ate most of our meals at Rio Bhongo and took advantage of their Kids Eat Free program. This helped keep the costs down. All our meals there were delicious. We also took the free shuttle to Prieta Beach Club once for an early dinner. Prices there were similar to the hotel. We were planning to go back to experience the beach and pool there, but we ran out of time. Truthfully, we just wanted to spend as much time as possible at the Andaz!

The beach and pool was where we spent most of our time. We had expected rain since it was considered the rainy season. However, it didn't rain a single day we were there.
At the beach, we made good use of the complimentary snorkeling equipment, kayaks and paddle boards. Jet skis for rent were available which was a lot of fun.

But, what really put this resort over the top for us was the Andaz staff - everyone we came across was genuinely friendly: there was Pablo and Andrea who were so welcoming as they checked us in and prepped our room our first night; Lucia, Michael and Carolina at Rio Bhongo who took the time to chat with us, take our pictures and joke around with our boys; Cesar who drove us around in the club cart a number of times; Manalo and Jose Abel hosting the s'mores night at the Cambi. Everyone always greeted us with a smile and a friendly 'Hola!'. The staff at the Andaz should all be commended.

We truly wished we could have stayed longer, there was still so much to do in the resort that we didn't get a chance to enjoy. ...six nights was definitely not enough. We can't wait to go back again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David J
Dear David and family,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Andaz. You definitely didn't spend enough time with us!

We are very pleased you took so many great memories from the Andaz back home and that you enjoyed spending time on property the most. Thank you also for highlighting so many of our staff members in your note that we will certainly reward for their personalized service.

We truly hope to welcome you back to the resort. Until then we wish you all the best,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort? Share your experiences!