“Wonderful visit to the Andaz”

Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Andaz after leaving another area hotel. We came to Costa Rica to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary - and the staff at the Andaz was exemplary, the hotel room and property is really a 5 star experience and we will definitely return for another visit and tell our friends and family about this hotel.
I have to say the staff was just superb in every area of the hotel. Friendly, knowledgeable and smiling. Great restaurants, pools and beautiful location. Indeed, all the posts about the manager and staff are true. The GM and Hyatt should be very proud of this team - excellence abounds at the Andaz.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor for the widest view of the Culebra Bay. All the rooms are beautiful...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RW_Ritchie
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your very kind words. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the best compliment is that you are planning to come back to the Andaz.

It will be my pleasure to pass on your comments to our team and I'm sure they will be proud you recognized them as friendly, knowledgeable and smiling.

We are looking forward having you back to share more of our Pura Vida.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was a trip for my wife and I and our first time to Costa Rica and the Andaz looked amazing in the pitcures,

Airport Shuttle: We booked a private shuttle for $120 return through http://www.liberiacostaricaairport.net . The company was on time and professional, no problems there.

Rooms: The Andaz is fairly new and it shows. The rooms a re clean and modern with huge showers that have floor to ceiling glass doors facing the ocean. the views are blocked a bit by the trees but still amazing. The patio leading from the bathroom and bedroom was a good size and we spent nights out there just enjoying the weather.

Our room was very clean and the maids did a great job with them every day. No problems there. Our free drinks and snacks were re-filled every day and provided a nice variety to choose from. Also the free wifi was excellent.

Resort: Again very new and clean, except for one are by the pool where the water was pooling on the deck and began to take on a dark brackish colour. Not sure why they didn't clean that are. The pools were infiniity pools and we never had trouble finding chairs to sit on regardless of the time of day. The water was a nice temperature and provided respite from the heat.

The beach smaller with black sand. Not as well groomed as some but the water was calm as we were located in a bay, so we were sheltered from any rough seas. They offer free kataks and paddle boards for guests.

the resport is very laid back with not much in terms of organized activities so don't expect a rocking time.

Food: This was the only drawback to the resort. As it is 45 minutes from Liberia the only real options you have are the restaurants at the resort and they are extremely expensive. Breakfast buffet was $28 but then you include the 13% tax and an automatic 10% service charge and then they leave a space for a tip. And this was just breakfast.

My wife and I don't drink but even with that our dinners were close to $100 each night. It got so bad we actually rented a car and went into Liberia one day and got some groceries so we could have breakfast without shelling out $70. We tried the Four Seasons nearby and the beach resort at another property as well and the prices were the same all over. BE WARNED if you are on any kind of a budget.

The food itself ranges from average to good. The Chae Pescao and Ostra were our favourites. Ostra had the added benefit of providing you with bread with dinner so you could feel more full. The service is generally good with Ostra providing the best service.

Nearby Attractions: Not much except for the other resorts. I would say the beach resort was worth the free ride, large beach with some waves that you could use the boogie board on. We did a trip to Liberia which is a small, hot, dusty town with not much to see. The only reason to go there is to grab some groceries if you want to save on food costs.

We booked a tour through viator.com to go ziplining and horseback riding. It was $140/person for an all day event and was a good deal because it included a buffet lunch which we took full advantage of.

Overall: If you have the money and just want to relax and not do much this is a very nice resort. If you have a budget or want more to do than just get a suntan, you should probably find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get something on the upper floors for privacy and good views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank S T

Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing to stay at the Andaz and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am very glad you had a good time and you were able to relax. I'm sure coming from a busy city like Houston this must have seemed like heaven. Thank you for commenting positively on our rooms, the housekeeping service and the our staff. I'm also glad you enjoy your activities outside the resort and booked a zip-line-horseback riding trip.

We are very vigilant to offer good value for money in our restaurants and try to source as many products locally to guarantee the quality and freshness we desire. Nevertheless, this also comes at a certain cost.

I hope you were able to take some pictures with your own camera that reflect the beauty of this place and remind you of your stay in Costa Rica and the Andaz.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are staying at a vacation home for our honeymoon. We decided to enjoy a dinner out at Rio Bhongo. As soon as we parked our car we were greeted at the door by a kind man. He walked us in and asked where we wanted to eat. He recommended Rio Bhongo for the evening. He was spot on with the atmosphere and view overlooking the pool. He was kind enough to take us on the golf cart to the restaurant. The restaurant had couples, families, and groups. Everyone seemed to be smiling and having a wonderful night. We were greeted by our waiter, Michael (El Gato). I wanted to have a red wine and he recommended Tempranillo. Yummmmyyyy! I wrote the name
down so I can remember to find it when we get home. We love trying the items the server's recommend and Michael was 100% on target with all of his recommendations. He suggested the beef and cheese
empanadas. Best ever!!!! Crisp and flakey...yum!!! I ordered beef tacos and my husband ordered the sea bass. Both of which was delicious and so fresh! As if we were not full enough, we went ahead and ordered dessert. Michael recommended Tres Leche and the Bread Pudding. We ordered both and at it ALL! Michael and the other servers were all beyond kind and the service they gave was far beyond most restaurants. Our hats off to the chef because the food was phenomenal. We will come back again before we leave because of the service, food, and atmosphere!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for dining with us at Rio Bhongo and for posting your favourable review.

I was very glad to read our team guided you through a great experience at Andaz and I will congratulate Michael at Rio Bhongo for recommending you with such wonderful dishes.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back at the hotel for other dining experiences or even an over night stay.

Pura Vida,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This new Andaz hotel is jewel for Hyatt. I stayed there 7 days and as a resume it's a great place, but with some potential to get even better. First the positive points:
This hotel is build on a beautiful natural place and it fits very well there. But the overall best point are the very helpful and friendly employees! Without this employees I would give this hotel 4 instead 5 points! The rooms are very nice and modern, I had a suite which was very big but it's not cheap to stay there. The pool especially the adult pool is really nice and it's surrounded by trees and rocks. The garden and all the plants are beautiful too and in very good shape. This hotel has 3 restaurants in which all I eat. The best fare away is the Ostra which is a seafood restaurant with excellent and fresh fish! The employees are very friendly and the head of it Daniel Studer is an excellent boss with outstanding customer care. The adult pool employees are very helpful especially Carolina was asking me all the time if I need anything and the service was fast and good. Looking around the resort, it's beautiful and you will see all kind of wild animals. The Spa is surrounded by nature and a lot of flowers and trees. The service (massage quality) is good but needs still some improvements. The Chao Pescao restaurant is a small but great designed place where you can eat smaller plates mostly traditional food. The raw fish there is very good and not expensive. This place is not big and not all tables are very comfortable but the food is real and very good. The service there is nice but not at the standard of the Ostra. The view from the room was ok, get a second or third floor room it's even better. The suits are big and have everything you need, comfortable and modern, big space with coffee machine and TV ( which you don't need, nature is more interesting). The music system is in 2 rooms, in my suit the living room one didn't work. You can use your iPhone with this system but they only support the old IPhone not the new lightning plug, that's not very up do date.
There are some minus points too, but it's up for what you're looking for.
I'm a big fan of a nice palm tree surrounded Caribbean- type beach , so my comment is maybe not for all people. The beach is very small and the sand is almost black. There are some trees and you can be on the first row on the ocean when you early in the morning, when the hotel is full then you have to stay under the trees with not a lot of sunshine. There are no waves or very small ones but it's easy to swim there. When you like long with beaches that's maybe not the right hotel for you. The second beach is not really a beach, it's a small but very natural place where you can take a bath but not more. The service on the beach is good and friendly, you get drinks and water there.
The biggest restaurant called Rio bhongo, this is the weakest restaurant in my opinion. I got breakfast there but the buffet is not that great and especially when you asking why there are no fresh fruits there they tell you because of the insects they can show it. Sorry, but this is not a very good explanation. I went to over 30 hotels worldwide ( they all in tropical regions) and most of them have fresh fruits on there buffet ( they all in tropical regions), and when there is a problem the fruits are under glass! You go to Costa Rica you think about tropical fruits you will get and then they serve you Strawberries, Melon and pineapple, not very creative.
The service there needs also improvements, sometime I had to wait longer then normal, no big deal but it's not at the standard of the other two restaurants. The price of the buffet is also very high, exactly 40$ with tax. For this amount of money I like to see a better offer. In general the food and drink prices are very high, almost NYC prices. You need to budget that when you book the hotel. Some other small things like in all new hotels are normal, it will getting better with the time.
This is not a hotel for singles and big families, because there is not a big event program going on so it could get boring with the time. When you want relax for some days a perfect place! Great for couples it's very private, with a great designed hotel and very nice employees. I see it as a great new hotel where Hyatt likes to show even a big chain can have a kind of " boutique" hotel on a world class level. Good start with this Andaz hotel but please don't let the Hyatt controller looking after to many details ( like size of the meals, fruit assortment, food and drink prices) otherwise it will be just a other good Hyatt chain hotel. You want to reach the top level please let the management some free space to develop there hotel DNA.
Overall I will go again but for 3 to maximum 5 days.

Room Tip: Get a room in building 3 or 4, higher level and you see more of the bay. The suites are big, a doubl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your detailed feedback following your recent stay at the Andaz. As a new resort your feedback is most helpful and appreciated.

I am delighted our staff made the difference in your experience at the hotel and I will certainly take the time to compliment them, especially Daniel and Carolina at Ostra. Thank you also for your comments on the breakfast fruit selection during your stay where we did have some issues that have been resolved now, nevertheless, should not have happened in the first place.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for a long weekend in the near future and showcase the spirit of our Andaz again.

Pura Vida,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel property is amazing and the manager Maria went above and beyond to ensure our stay was perfect. I booked the Andaz to propose to my fiancé and Maria helped me with the planning months in advance and reassured me upon arrival that everything would be taken care of accordingly, and it was! All of the rooms have amazing bay views, if you can get a suite you will not regret the extra $. We only left the property twice. One night we went to the Four Seasons for dinner at Di Mare, although it wasn't bad the restaurants and ambiance at the Andaz were much better. We also did a full day excursion to Buena Vista which included horse back riding, zip-lining, and hot springs; I would definitely recommend looking into it. As for food at the property I would say anything on the dinner menu at Chao Pescao was the best meal. For breakfast I would definitely order room service at least one morning and also the pork belly benedict at Rio Bhongo was delicious. Ostra has some of the best ceviche as well. Both pools were great to lounge at during the day, which we did most of the time. The property is expansive but we found the walks at all times of the day enjoyable as there is always a chance to see monkeys, coati's, hummingbirds, and iguanas. They will pick you up in a golf cart if you prefer not to walk. The staff at and the surroundings of the hotel really make this a world class destination. I would highly recommend this property for any and all vacations! Thanks for the great memories!

Room Tip: Try and get a corner suite!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you for your wonderful review and congratulations on your engagement!

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will congratulate Maria for helping you make your special trip this memorable. We hope we will get the opportunity to have you back on many more special occasion you both can celebrate.

Pura Vida for both of you!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is not a hotel it is a life experience. Last night we were serenaded by howler monkeys in the trees outside our room. The relaxation area at the spa is heavenly. The Beach Club available by shuttle is divine. The young people who work on the staff are vibrant, authentic and simply beautiful. The food is exceptional (I highly recommend the ceviche at Ostra or the Mariscada at the tapas bar. Rio Bhongo is also a wonderful place to eat with a beautiful vista)

I cannot say enough about what a wonderful place this is in this wonderful and beautiful country.

We are leaving mañana but couldn't wait to share how exceptional this property is.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Matt,

we are sad you had to leave and very thankful you took the time to share your thoughts on your stay.

I'm excited you enjoyed our Pura Vida and consider your time with us a life experience. We aim to create memories that go further than just a hotel stay and are glad we succeeded. We are more than ready to welcome you back; no need to wait until 'mañana'...

Saludos,

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for part of our 10th wedding anniversary trip to Costa Rica. Although we have thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and the service and food in the restaurants, there were multiple issues that were unresolved despite contacting management. In fact, these issues were blatantly ignored.

Before arrival, the hotel sent 2 emails confirming that amenities would be provided in recognition of our anniversary. Nothing was delivered to our room on that first day, so I spoke to a representative in the lobby on the next day who said that something would be delivered that day. Nothing was ever delivered for our anniversary and no recognition of our anniversary was provided at any point during our stay.

Also, upon arrival, we noticed that no washcloths were in the room, so I attempted to call the front desk, only to find that one of the room phones was non-operational. Using another phone, I called the front desk to inform them of these problems. I eventually received the washcloths, but the phone issue was never addressed, even after I spoke with someone at the front lobby about the problem on the next day. An appointment was made to have their IT staff address the issue, but no one showed up.

I expect a reputable hotel company to follow through on their word when promises are made to their guests.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you for making us part of your anniversary trip to Costa Rica. I was glad to read you thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and our restaurants.

Nevertheless I am disappointed we seem to have failed in some aspects of our service. You rightfully deserve to get the services we have promised to deliver. Please accept our apologies and I will write you a private message separately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort? Share your experiences!