“World Class Dining with A Matching View!”
Review of Abbocato

Abbocato
Price range: US$5 - US$55
Cuisines: Asian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: To define Abbocato is to talk about a family that will welcome new friends in our home to create an unforgettable experience and to give an elegant and professional service in a distinguished environment with the best view of "Golfo Papagayo".Our goal is to convey a sense of satisfaction on the client through an eno-gastronomic journey of high level, with luxurious and cozy surroundings with large windows and a wonderful terrace where you must enjoy the most beautiful sunsets in the Pacific Ocean.The style of cuisine that Restaurante Aboocato offers can be defined as "author". If you have any questions or would like more information, do not hesitate and contact us!
Reviewed 11 December 2013

After hearing from friends about this restaurant, my wife and I decided to stop by late one afternoon to look at a menu and were met by the husband and wife owners Andrea and Paula. Andrea is Italian and Paula a native Costa Rican and together they have traveled the world as professional chefs. They were "over the top" cordial and welcoming in sharing their menu and we decided to make a reservation and come back that evening. They suggested coming back around 5:00 PM to enjoy a beverage on their infinity poolside patio overlooking the Gulf of Papagayo on the Pacific side of Costa Rica and watch the sunset. This in itself would have made the trip worthwhile as the view was "drop dead" gorgeous and unhurried as we watched the sky change from light to deeper shades of red and gradually turn to night fall.
We were then invited into their restaurant, which is beautifully decorated in a fusion of contemporary and Costa Rican, but Five Star in every detail. The menu offers something for everyone. There are some dishes that combine an Asian influence from Andrea's experience as a chef in Thailand as well as classic Italian dishes beginning with appetizers and continuing through the main course. We were offered a choice of a priced fixed offering of four courses or we could order off their menu. I chose the price fixed fish offering and my wife ordered from the menu and we shared as always. I won't go into detail over the food as the only thing that matters is that it is definitely world class dining, Five Star says it all. From beginning to end it was all that a restaurant should be. If you have the good fortune of being able to visit Costa Rica and are in this beautiful part of the country, go to this restaurant, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Andrea is a world class chef and his wife Paula is the most charming hostess we have ever met. The food is to die for and the atmosphere is unbeatable. Treat yourselves to a superb lunch or diner. You must call for diner reservations 2672-0073.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My husband and I were looking for a special place to dine in Guanacaste on the last night of our honeymoon. (We married at the Hilton Papagayo resort in November 2013.) We found Abbocato on TripAdvisor and were absolutely blown away. To begin with, the service was exceptional. Upon arrival, we were greeted like old friends by the husband & wife owners: Andrea, the chef, and hostess/guide Paola. Andrea described the four-course degustation menus for the evening and then personalized the meal for our tastes (my husband changed the lamb to filet mignon and requested no olives in one of the sides). Paola helped us select the perfect cocktails - a jalapeño martini for my husband, which he loved, and a local twist on a mohito for me, which was a wonderfully fresh start to the evening. Paola also recommended a lovely wine to complement our meals, and they both continued to visit our table throughout the evening. I opted for the seafood menu, which included carpaccio (grouper and octopus) and seared ahi tuna, followed by a shrimp soup, and a parrotfish main course, which was both light and decadent - everything perfectly seasoned and delightful. My husband chose the beef menu, which started with six small bites, stuffed zucchini flower and a beet & bleu cheese combo among them, followed by porcini mushroom risotto, and a skillfully prepared filet with baby potatoes. Finally, for dessert, my husband chose the pineapple ginger creme brulee, and I chose a chocoholic's dream: an indescribably delicious slow-baked cake with ice cream - both of which were presented to our table by Andrea. Don't miss an opportunity to spend an evening with Andrea and Paola! Abbocato is on our must-do list when we return to Guanacaste.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and in-laws and I visited Abbocato back in July. We were staying at the Four Seasons and the distance was a bit discouraging but... I could write up our entire experience but all I need to say is that it is absolutely worth the trip from the Four Seasons or wherever you are coming from. From the point of arrival to departure it was an amazing dining experience unlike no other. The dinks, sunset, owners and staff, the restaurant and the cuisine were exceptional. It was one of my family’s best experiences dining ever and I recommend this restaurant if you at all have the opportunity. When we return to Costa Rica we will certainly make Abbocato a part of the trip if not one of the main attractions.

1  Thank Btv1986
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Except for one of the entrees, the food was amazing. If I could, I would rate it 4.5 but since I couldn't I had to rate it a 4. The hostess/owner was extremely friendly, and we met the chef several times as he visited us several times through out the meal:

The following items were what my fiance and I ate:

Tuna carpaccio
Quiche

Risotto with pancetta and pesto sauce
Coconut soup with shrimp- I am usually not a fan of soups but this was really yummy

Lamb duo
Stuffed red snapper- this is the one that was a little disappointing

Crime brûlée- loved the presentation
Coffee cake with chocolate drizzle