“Wow wow wow wow wow!!!”

Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Calgary, Canada
“Wow wow wow wow wow!!!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This place like others have said, is a hidden jewel tucked behind a dusty road. It's like an oasis from a dream! Baggi and everybody that works there is so incredibly kind and wonderful.
The rooms are spotlessly clean, comfortable (luxuriously so), the pool is great with plenty of places to lounge around or swing in a hammock. They also have a yoga studio which is beautiful!
We stayed in a standard room and also in a two floor villa and were blown away by both.
Amazing!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Katewmak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bellingham, Wa
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in a lodge at Otro Lado for 3 days in late March. The lodges are roomy with wonderful spaces to relax- tables and chairs on patio, hammock, or the gorgeous, wooded upstairs balcony. The pool area was lovely and was the perfect place to chill after a blazing hot Santa Teresa March day. Fellow travelers and staff were all very pleasant. Nicoletta cheerfully made arrangements for massage, dinner reservations, taxis. Breakfast is a bit spare but lunches are very good. Otro Lado is enough off the road to be quiet and dust-free and is an amazing value for the area. We loved it and will be sure to stay there when we return.

1 Thank Charles V
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I recently went to Santa Teresa for my brothers wedding. My father-in-law had stayed at the Otro Lado two weeks before and insisted that we stayed there too.... And I'm so glad that I did! It was one of the most relaxing hotels I have ever been to. I had many other family and friends in Santa Teresa at the same time and they all wished that they had stayed there too. The stay included breakfast that was very tasty. The staff was extremely accommodating as I had injured my leg the day before my trip and they moved me to a more convenient room on the first floor. The room was perfect! We had a hammock right outside of our sliding door, as do all the rooms on the first floor. This place seemed like an oasis in paradise. They did not have TVs in the rooms which I thought would be a problem (as I watch tons of TV) but I didn't event miss it for a second! You must stay here! My better half and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the first floor because they all have hammocks on the patios
1 Thank jrgenender
Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Otro Lado is a hidden gem! The villas are amazing clean and so quaint. From the minute we walked in we felt at home. The vibe around this place is something you can't explain with words- its just special. The owners make you feel like their home is your home. The pool is great and the location of the resort is off the road just enough for it to be quiet and not dusty. Its across the street from the beach and a great smoothie shop along with some amazing restaurants are just a quick walk away. Breakfast is included and its delicious! The workers are happy and so proud of their food and home and its shows in the quality of the resort, food and hospitality. I would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I dont think you can go wrong with a room choice- they are all in great locations and are next to th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Newfiechic
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a little less than two weeks and we couldn't have been more impressed! We had actually decided to book this one over other options because of the TA reviews we had read and it did not disappoint!

The whole atmosphere is very zen/modern style and you can't help but feel relaxed and at-ease as soon as you walk onto the grounds. The street can be loud and kind of jarring (also dusty) so this is really important. The landscaping is lush and extensive, which makes staying here a treat for the eyes. There is lots of shade but also plenty of places to lay in the sun..a good overall mix in my opinion. There are many areas throughout to sit and relax (our favorite was the bed-sized outdoor couches..which was a great little nook to read in) and the space is very community-friendly while still being private and romantic. The owners have rescued dogs and cats that roam the area freely; they are all so friendly and totally add to the laid-back atmosphere! Our room was a one-bedroom on the ground floor...small but perfect, with a beautiful walk-in shower and a big comfy bed. The water pressure was not very strong but that's to be expected in an area with a water problem, and it didn't really bother us. The AC and fan worked great and we never had a problem with uncomfortable temperatures...in fact some nights we really enjoyed the windows open! The area is very safe (they also have a night watchman) and we did not feel at all uncomfortable or unsafe at any time. I'm kind of a nut about safety in foreign countries so that's really saying something. The maid always made sure we came back to a clean room with fresh sheets and towels. The pool is small but was never crowded even though we went during peak-season. We didn't take any yoga classes but it's definitely on my to-do list when we return.

Breakfast is served early and has very satisfying portions. The pancakes were my favorite although the fruit is a close second, consistently being so very fresh and flavorful. The service is great; even when things get kind of busy we always felt like we were well taken care of. We had lunch here a few times too and were impressed with the homemade pastas and sandwiches. They also have really good daily specials (usually with fresh fish...yum!), in addition to always baking their own bread daily. There are always good smells wafting from that kitchen area!

We had a ton of travel trouble towards the end of our trip and the owners were especially accommodating of our schedule and needs. They didn't charge us for an extra night we had told them we'd be staying and then later cancelled at the last minute, which was very nice. They also gave us plenty of suggestions for things to do in the area (diving, yoga, local eatery hot-spots, etc.), as well as helping us book a cab that would accept dogs (we ended up adopting a dog down there!). The entire staff speaks fluent spanish as well as italian and english, so there was no miscommunication or uncomfortableness. They also let us use their house phone quite a bit, which is super-great if you're trying to avoid a huge roaming bill. We were very sad to leave this place and hugged the owners when we left. They are so personable and extremely sweet. They really know the area and are committed to making your stay an amazing experience. I mean really they bent over backwards for us and we were so thankful for this. I don't really have anything bad to say about this place, especially considering the rate was so reasonable. I would say it definitely exceeded my expectations and renewed my faith in vacations that aren't at all-inclusives.

We will definitely be back here again. I would highly recommend this beautiful sanctuary to anyone looking for some peace and quiet relaxation time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria G
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I cant say enough about how great this place is!
The staff are unbelievable- super accommodating, welcoming, informative and so genuinely wonderful- it felt like we were leaving friends when came time for us to go home.
Selvaggia was amazing even 6 mos before our trip helping out with all little concerns and questions we had just about Costa Rica in general. The owner was there to greet us every morning and help serve us breakfast and their afternoon little lady- Nicolette- what a gem.
Even the cleaning staff that you pass during the day are amazingly friendly and make you feel like home.
The rooms were easy to keep cool, always super clean (I swear they snuck in like ninjas to clean your room- would never had known they were able to get in and clean everything so quickly and discreetly), and relaxing and had all the amenities you could need. The hotel was maybe a 3 minute walk to the beach and had a lovely little pool when to relax in when the sun got too hot. And the restaurant has some of the best food to find in Santa Teresa. Super delicious!!!
Definately highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone.

1 Thank Sandi F
Slovenia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Santa Teresa is one part of the Montezuma-Mal Pais-Santa Teresa Surfers/yoga triangle, and Otro Lado Lodge reflects this inside and outside. Located far enough from the main road to be quiet and dust-free, it is walking distance to several markets, restaurants and surf shops. It has its own yoga classes, breakfast is tasty and two-store cabins comfortable, even too roomy for a couple.
Sitting on first floor balcony with a book in your hand, one can indulge in some serious relaxation. Wi-fi was there but reception only on the balcony. Very clean, on-duty manager was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple