“Perfect spot”

Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect spot”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our experience of our stay was best summed up by proprietor Nico when he said, "We tried to build the kind of place we'd want to stay at." It's a perfect little oasis among a stretch of backpacker hostels--which are fine if you're 22 but maybe not ideal if you're a grownup. The villas are a perfect blend of modern design using tropical elements like bamboo and indigenous foliage. It's nice to have a pool as well as the nearby beach. The breakfasts were lovingly prepared. The staff was amazingly friendly and remembered our names. And best of all it was wildly affordable. We're already recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed at Orto Lado for 10 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Nico and staff are extremely accommodating and able to assist you with anything you may need. Our villa was clean, comfortable and the outdoor area is a place of serenity. Wether lying by the pool, in your hammock or sitting in the lounge you always feel relaxed and at ease. The beach is just across the road and there are plenty of options to eat nearby or rent a bike/ATV. Breakfast options are fantastic and tasty. We would highly recommend staying at Orto Lado.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Otro Lado was the most spectacular place that we had stayed over our three weeks in Costa Rica. I cannot criticise anything about this place. It is superb and I recommend anyone to stay here! Perfect for singles, couples or families.
It has a beautiful pool with sunbeds to relax when you don't fancy a stroll to the beach, wonderfully kept tranquil gardens, fantastic lodges with such attention to detail - down to flowers and complimentary toiletries and a overhead rain shower with hot water in the bathroom and beach towels given specifically for the beach. The bed linen and towels were clean and fresh and rooms are cleaned every day and they have a safe. Each lodge had a good amount of privacy and street noise was not a problem here as it had been in other places we stayed in Santa Teresa. I liked that you left the keys at the desk as we didn't have to worry about them when we went to the beach or local restaurants.
The breakfast was included and there is a great variety of things to choose from on the menu. The food at the restaurant was absolutely amazing and service was great.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and kind, we felt really comfortable asking for directions and opinions for places to eat out and activities around the area. Baggi and Nico made us feel really at home and I wish I had booked all of our three weeks stay here!
The location is perfect, close to beach, supermarket, shops, surfboard hire and atvs.
I cannot fault it here it is just perfect. Don't bother looking anywhere else, you will regret it if you do not stay here!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 81LucindaB
Utah
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The room, the setting, the food, the service, the flexibility were all remarkable and made a destination wedding experience very memorable. There was a yoga area with mats and an adjacent room for massages. The beach was across the street, but the hotel was set back far enough so that street noise was not a problem.
The proprietors were very nice and the food was great. (Breakfast and lunch only.)

Room Tip: All the rooms were rented by the wedding party family and friends. Some rooms had more amenities tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank carefulraveler
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This place like others have said, is a hidden jewel tucked behind a dusty road. It's like an oasis from a dream! Baggi and everybody that works there is so incredibly kind and wonderful.
The rooms are spotlessly clean, comfortable (luxuriously so), the pool is great with plenty of places to lounge around or swing in a hammock. They also have a yoga studio which is beautiful!
We stayed in a standard room and also in a two floor villa and were blown away by both.
Amazing!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Katewmak
Bellingham, Wa
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in a lodge at Otro Lado for 3 days in late March. The lodges are roomy with wonderful spaces to relax- tables and chairs on patio, hammock, or the gorgeous, wooded upstairs balcony. The pool area was lovely and was the perfect place to chill after a blazing hot Santa Teresa March day. Fellow travelers and staff were all very pleasant. Nicoletta cheerfully made arrangements for massage, dinner reservations, taxis. Breakfast is a bit spare but lunches are very good. Otro Lado is enough off the road to be quiet and dust-free and is an amazing value for the area. We loved it and will be sure to stay there when we return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles V
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I recently went to Santa Teresa for my brothers wedding. My father-in-law had stayed at the Otro Lado two weeks before and insisted that we stayed there too.... And I'm so glad that I did! It was one of the most relaxing hotels I have ever been to. I had many other family and friends in Santa Teresa at the same time and they all wished that they had stayed there too. The stay included breakfast that was very tasty. The staff was extremely accommodating as I had injured my leg the day before my trip and they moved me to a more convenient room on the first floor. The room was perfect! We had a hammock right outside of our sliding door, as do all the rooms on the first floor. This place seemed like an oasis in paradise. They did not have TVs in the rooms which I thought would be a problem (as I watch tons of TV) but I didn't event miss it for a second! You must stay here! My better half and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the first floor because they all have hammocks on the patios
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple