“So much fun! Great Instructors.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We came for a planned 7 days but stayed for 3 weeks. The surf lessons are put on by real surf veterans. The whole place has a real family atmosphere. We met some great friends during our stay. The beach in the area is the best around. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes to have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank CanadaRentalCottage

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at Shaka with a lovely friend with the purpose of surfing, relaxing and checking out the local area. We loved it all. The surf side of things was really convenient as we were different levels. My girl was learning and I can surf. The beach was super friendly for all levels with some challenging waves and also good conditions to learn in. The instructors were excellent teachers which also meant I could get a few waves while knowing Ness was in safe hands. They got her to a level in a few days where she could come out and join me in slightly more challenging waves and we could enjoy the ocean together. The food was delicious and if you felt like going out somewhere else for dinner or a party, the staff pointed you in the right direction. Very relaxed vibe at Shaka and really great spot for exploring and meeting friendly people. I even sat down the beach one morning checking out the surf and Giselle was chilling right next to me. Not everywhere you can chill with a super model... I actually didn't recognise her but my friends who I saw down there told me who it was. Pity Im not a super bowl winning quarter back. The little towns to the north and south of Hermosa are beautiful little spots for exploring as well. Highly recommend this place to all walks of life.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Justin_Oz76
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here as part of our honeymoon and it was great. Ideal location close to a great beach to learn to surf on. The accommodation is nice, clean and comfy (could do with a docking station though), The Rancho is a great place to meet the fellow guests and chill out. The food was basic and fresh (but they dont claim for it to be anything else).

We had surf lessons with Jerry who was great. Managed to get both me and my wife on our feet on our first lesson. And we did yoga at the resort a 10 minute stroll down the beach.

The wife also loved the massage which we had in our room.

All in all a great stay and good value for money.

The same as anywhere in Santa Teresa, some form of transport is beneficial.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cham08
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Shaka is an amazing surf camp. It has by far the best beach i have ever seen for surfers. I have taught surf camps all throughout san diego and the layout of this beach is hands down the best for surfers of all abilities. The inside waves are flawless for learning. There is a long left and hollow right at opposite ends of the beach. No crowds! It's rare that I actually look for other people in the water to talk to but at shaka you will. Great Food! Great Staff! Great Lodging!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Christopher H
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Shaka surf camp is an experience not a vacation. The rooms are simple and clean with air conditioning, very good for the afternoon siesta. There is no TV or radios in the rooms, if you want amenities and room service with a pool go somewhere else. The staff is very nice and helpful, my rent a car was there waiting for me when I got there. Anything you want to do they can arrange for you like reservations or zip-line tours, every place they told us to eat was great.
The one thing that stood out for me was how and where they taught us to surf. Chris gave us basic instruction around the Rancho while we were enjoying a great cup of coffee in the shade and we all took turns practicing before we went down to the beach. It felt like we were being taught by friends and not in a surf school. They stay in the water with you and make sure you get it. We all got up that morning, There is nothing like surfing, can't wait to go back

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank uvider
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My two friends and I decided to spend our senior year spring break at Shaka learning to surf. We didn't know exactly what we wanted out of our spring break going into the trip, but after spending a week at Shaka, all three of us agreed that it had far exceeded any expectation we could have had - it was exactly what we had wanted. The location is beautiful and secluded - the beach is never crowded - the water is warm and welcoming - the accommodations are immaculate and comfortable. Everything about our week at Shaka was relaxing and rejuvenating. Learning to surf was perhaps the most fun experience I have ever had; the instructors were very helpful and catered to each person's ability and experience. The staff, in general, was the best part about Shaka. Chris, Krista, Laura, Mike, and everyone else we interacted with were all perfectly friendly and helpful. We felt immediately that we were part of their Shaka family. We ate breakfast and dinner together and spent much of our downtime just hanging out with them. All of them were willing and happy to accommodate our schedules and needs - on our first day we arrived after the morning surf lesson but they took us out later that day anyway, so that we wouldn't have to miss that day. They saved us food when we missed meals for yoga or other activities (and by the way, the food is amazing - fresh fruit and avocado and fish, and the possibility of vegetarian options). After a week, we all truly felt like we were leaving Shaka with new friends.

I honestly could not write a more glowing review of Shaka and all of its staff. I've raved about it to all my friends and family and will look forward to the day that I myself can return for another week of the perfect mix of fun and relaxation. If you don't stay at Shaka, you're definitely missing out. Throughout college I've had the opportunity to travel all across Europe (studying abroad), and I don't think I enjoyed any of those trips as much as I enjoyed my stay at Shaka.

In short, I'm giving Shaka an enthusiastic 5/5 rating but it definitely deserves more. If you end up going (and you should!) please say hi to everyone for me!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank xaniram
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of visiting Shaka for two days while we were traveling on the Nicoya Peninsula. We realize most people stay longer, but we only had the short time available. When getting ready to leave, we both agreed that two days was certainly not enough!! However, in that short time we fell in love with Shaka!
The location, the facility, the beach, the instruction and the PEOPLE! We cant say enough about the incredible staff and the sense of family that we felt in such a short time. Even the cook, groundskeeper and housekeeper felt like family!
We enjoyed great surfing, a great selection of boards, daily walks on a beautiful and quiet beach, a wonderful yoga class at Pranamar, incredible food and amazing people (both staff and guests). The cabinas are well built, cute, simple and comfortable. The grounds are well kept and beautiful!
We highly recommend Shaka to anyone looking for a fun, but quiet, safe, and very beautiful place to hang out and surf!

Room Tip: Four cabinas with varying bed set ups as well as a "house" to sleep bigger groups.