I was looking for a place to enjoy some surfing and yoga and the general vibe of Costa Rica. I really didn't want to be in a big sterile hotel with well trained but uninterested staff. I found Shaka Beach Resort on the web and it looked just like what I was looking for. And it was. There were many great things, but the best were the people. They made me feel like I was a long lost friend that had come to Costa Rica to catch up, hang out and do some surfing. Here are a list of other great things:
1) The beach is awesome. It is beautiful, big and empty.
2) The surf. The surfing was awesome and it was right there. Brent and Mo-e were awesome surf coaches and they made sure that I had a great time, learned a lot and was totally exhausted (in the best way). I hadn't surfed in 30 years and they were great in getting me back into it.
3) The Yoga. They have a nice outdoor studio to do yoga in. Megan was incredible. It was so much more than just doing some yoga positions. She really taught me some stuff, got me connected to the earth and just made me feel great.
4) The place is quite nice. It is not the Ritz-Carlton with sterilized napkins folded into swans. it is down to earth. Clean, comfortable and full of character. The beds are very comfortable. The only downside is all the howler monkies hanging around making a racket (that's a joke by the way; it's awesome to have the wildlife right there).
I can only say that I really needed a vacation that go me away from it all. I spent a week and I could swear it was a month. It was really entering a new world, escaping and having a really great time.
Highly recommend you go if you want a place with some great character and people
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes North of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, is the highly desirable upscale neighborhood of "Playa Hermosa." Shaka Beach Retreat is a private haven offering an alluring example of modern tropical architecture, nestled in the tropical jungle surroundings, home to monkeys, birds, and fruit trees. A short walk leads to one of the most beautiful quiet beaches the country has to offer. Perfect for swimming, relaxing on the sand, and all levels of surfers. Join us for our popular Surf and Yoga Retreats, offered year round. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Shaka Surf Camp Hotel
- Shaka Surf Camp Santa Teresa
- Shaka Beach Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa