“Kickin back at Shaka”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Carbondale, Colorado
“Kickin back at Shaka”
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Just got back from a week at Shaka Surf Camp. Super chill with friendly staff. The food prepared by Gretle was amazing. Some of the best food I have had in Costa Rica. The accomodations were super clean and comfortable. I liked Shaka because it was a bit out of town and was nesttled in the lush jungle. The walk to the beach is short and the waves are uncrowded. We got at least head high surf every day we were there. Great surf vacation spot!

• Liked — Close to uncrowded surf
  • Disliked — No internet/phone service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank waverider79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I'm in a wheelchair and Shaka is the only surf camp I have ever been to outside of the US that has put such a high degree of detail into addressing wheelchair accessibility...Every one who works there was so attentive and helpful when it came to making sure I was having a great time!...The beach was literally in the camps back yard, the surf was fantastic and best of all, was almost completely empty! I'd highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who are in a chair and want to experience the real Costa Rica and not the tourist traps!

• Liked — The accessibility and location
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Wheels831
LA
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I spent my spring break 2008 at Shaka Surf Camp in the company of old friends and new friends in the form of the staff at Shaka. We were about the first guests at the camp, and were welcomed as family by Greg & Greta, Frank, and Chris & Co.
Away from internet and cellphones, attuned to the rhythm of the tides, eating simple, delicious food, and surfing my heart out, I sloughed off the stress of living in the US and got the quietude to listen to my body, stretch, and sweat, be salty, nap in a hammock. I got patient, kind, and expert surf instruction from the staff, and have been surfing on my own at home ever since.
Shaka provided a genuine vacation at a fair price, so that my experience and interactions there did not feel commercialized, and I had a spiritual week. I will definitely be returning.

• Liked — Simple and clean.
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank DowntownBrownLa
Las Vegas
Reviewed 23 July 2008

One of my best vacations I ever had was spending time at the surf camp. I had not surfed in a long time. It was great to get back on a board again.This place gives you the opportunity to start out easy and work your way up to bigger waves.One of my favorite things to do was quad riding from beach to beach. Within 30 minutes you can be at your next destination. You can have lunch or drink a beer at the local cantina on the beach. I would recommend that you go to the beach at night to watch the sunset. The beach is not crowded at all, very peaceful place to hang out. Sometimes I would not see anyone, it was like I had my own beach. At night I would just hang out on a hammock listening to music. Now days I like to have everything set for me. I do not like it when I have to get dressed & go find place to eat. For me that is a waste of my time. I like to relax & enjoy my vacation. There at the Shaka surf camp they do all the work for you. They are the friendliest group I have ever met. I can't wait to get back down there. I know you will enjoy your trip, I did!!! Thom

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank Thom5
surfguy808
Reviewed 22 July 2008

i recently visited the shaka surf camp in costa rica last month. The experience was great!! good waves in a laid back and quiet town with helpful atentive staff members and surf instructors. I highly recomend this surf camp to anyone that wants to distance themselves from a tourist trap surf town.

• Liked — the property is very nice
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2008
3 Thank surfguy808
San Diego
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I was told to try surfing at this beach when I stumbled on Shaka Surf Camp. I am a beginner and took a surf lesson from Greg. He was very helpful and gave me lots of good tips. I even stood up for the first time!!! I wish that I had known about the cabinas earlier, because I would have loved to stay here. The cabinas are really cute and there is a huge open air rancho with a full kitchen for dining and socializing. I imagine this place will be busy once the word gets out, as they are the only cabinas near this beautiful beach.

• Liked — Close to a quiet beach, good for learning to surf.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
#5 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Playa Cielo
Playa Cielo
#7 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Shaka Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!