“Best Vacation Spot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shaka Beach Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Aspen, Colorado
“Best Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This trip to Costa Rica couldn't have been more perfect. I've been to Shaka before, so I knew what I was in store for. However, I was blown away by all of the improvements they've made.

Since I was there last they have hired a new chef (the food was gourmet, 5 star restaurant quality), re-vamped the dining experience with candles, flowers, cloth napkins, place mats, etc., and they have laundry service that was super easy and inexpensive. More than that, they have a photo package where I was able to purchase pics of myself surfing and doing yoga...something I've never had before because my husband/friends are always in the water with me...not taking pictures.

Everything was amazing and I can't wait to go back. Already booking a trip at the end of July!

Room Tip: I've stayed in every room and they are all really good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Shaka was great. I went with my brother for the purpose of learning to surf and to experience somewhere different. The surf instructors were all very patient, as I have never done anything like that before. They made it fun and allowed me to learn at my pace, yet still challenged me. The yoga class was one of the best I have had. The instructor was great and the yoga studio could not have been better. The location of Shaka was perfect. It was remote and quiet but still within walking distance of several places to eat, one of the most breathtaking beaches I have ever seen and a small market. The volunteers and staff went above and beyond to make sure we felt welcome and to show us a good time. Jerry, a surf instructor, was awesome. Gave us a few tours and took us on a hike to a waterfall. I can not say enough about the housekeeper, Maria. She was so sweet and I cried when I had to say goodbye. The volunteer, Adrian, was a huge help as well in entertaining and encouraging both my brother and I. This trip challenged me in so many ways to be braver than I previously was, to let go of expectations and enjoy the unexpected and to stop thinking so much. I made so many new friends, both guests and staff, that I hope to keep in touch with and I fell in love with Costa Rica. Oh, and there are monkeys!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rebecky7
Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I read all of the positive reviews of Shaka on Trip Advisor and was really excited to take my family there. I would agree with all of the positives - a truly incredible beach a short walk away, very friendly staff at Shaka, and our weather was perfect. However, there are a few things these folks should work on and a few things you should know just to set your expectations correctly: 1) The quality of the cottages is best described as "a nice college dorm room". So, if you're 25 and used to sleeping in dorm rooms and hostels, they are awesome. If you're 45 (like me) and used to sleeping in resort-like accomodations, they're very basic. Also, when we checked in the first night, we had no toilet paper and the light fixture in our bathroom didn't work. 2) The quality of the food is best described as "very good cafeteria food". Again, if you're 25 and used to eating at your college cafeteria, it's fantastic. If you're 45 and used to eating in resort-like restaurants, it's pretty basic. We (and all of the other guests we met) went out to local restaurants a lot for dinner. 3) Surf classes were very good, surf board quality was good, and the beach/waves are absolutely world class. We had two instructors for six students most of the week. We all improved our surfing skills, although I had thought we'd make more progress surfing every day for a week. 4) The yoga instruction was very good. The instruction was very good, the accomodations were very good, and you looked out at a jungle scene (with lizards and monkeys) during the sessions.

Set your expectations according to the above, and you'll have a really fantastic vacation at Shaka.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Marathoner2013
shakasurf, Owner at Shaka Beach Retreat, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests, especially the stuff that shows what we need to work on. Unfortunately we have had some issues with the kitchen staff and are currently searching for a new chef. Our hope is to have our kitchen back up to speed but it has been tough finding the right chef. Thank you again and have an amazing day.

Frank Bauer, Owner, Shaka Beach Retreat
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Shaka is an incredible place -- two minute walk to the most beautiful beach in Costa Rica (Playa Hermosa); short drive to Santa Teresa for restaurants, shopping & entertainment; clean, comfy & friendly accommodations (take a nap in one of the many hammocks!); peaceful, serene & still maintaining such natural beauty (no big resorts anywhere around!). But what makes this place truly special is the people -- Brent, Megan, Mo'e & the whole Shaka family provide their guests with an unforgettable (and affordable!) Costa Rican experience. I highly recommend for anyone interested in learning to surf & practice yoga or simply enjoying a healthy & relaxing vacation filled with good food, great people & beautiful scenery.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patrick C
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

My wife treated me to a trip to CR for my 40th birthday. She handled everything and on arrival she informed me that I had a surf lesson booked with Mo'e a local surf instructor. I was so impressed with the first I booked daily lessons for the rest of my stay. It was challenging but I enjoyed every minute and would finish each lesson with a grin ear to ear. I had so much fun I returned 2-months later with a friend and stayed at Shaka. The vibe is relaxed, the rooms are comfortable, and the food was fresh and healthy. Meals are surfed at the Rancho and this is also the gathering place to hang out and talk with other guests and new friends. I came home with the bug and have been surfing ever since. It is an amazing how my life has changed for the better since that first lesson. That was just over 3-years ago. I've returned yearly and it's apparent my experience isn't exclusive as all the guests have that same ear to ear smile:)

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jason T
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have never been in a more caring, loving, and such peaceful environment in my life. The amount of support and guidance you receive from everyone at camp is overwhelming. Coming from a small town in Northern California, i was incredibly intimidated by the idea of coming down to Shaka. But once i got situated and introduced to everyone at shaka, i knew that everything was going to be just fine. The camp itself is absolutely beautiful. The cabina's that you will stay in are incredibly comfortable that give you a lot of space. The camp has air conditioning which is incredibly important for the jungle environment. The food is delicious and so authentic. The beach that is walking distance from camp is the most beautiful place I have ever set foot on and the surf is pumping the majority of the day. Please consider the idea of going down to the most peaceful place you will ever travel to! You wont regret the time you spend at shaka! Get down there and experience life within the jungle! Pura Vida everyone!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Quinn S
Kentwood, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were at Shaka in November for a week of adaptive surfing We were treated like family from the moment we were there. The beach is beautiful and never crowded. The water is beautiful. Waking up to the sound of monkeys is something I never dreamed of. We got to snorkel, zipline and ride quads. Cannot give a higher recommendation for Shaka. Just go and have the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
#10 of 26 in Santa Teresa
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
#5 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Shaka Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!