“MY NEW FAVORITE VACATION SPOT!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I love this place! I've traveled all over Costa Rica and this is definitely my favorite place that I stayed.
Surrounded by beautiful landscaping, the cabinas are comfy, spacious, and very clean with great working A/C.
My husband loved the surf lessons, the instructors are very thorough and big on safety, and the beautiful beach is only a two minute walk from the camp! I really enjoyed the private yoga rancho surrounded by jungle and nature, the instructor was super cool and she totally kicked my butt! This place is totally family friendly (We had our 9 month old with us), the surf and yoga were so much fun, the staff was super friendly, and the food was amazing! We will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Maiulanikoe

Reviewed 31 May 2014

After reading all the reviews for Shaka, I decided this was the place to go for vacation. My husband and I wanted to stay somewhere that was close to the beach, close to town, but far enough away that we could have some R&R. Shaka was it.

We arrived at the airport early in the morning and rented a car from Economy. They picked us up at the airport and took us to their office to get the car. We also could have taken a taxi but we wanted to do some adventuring, so the car was a great option. After picking up the car we set off to Shaka. It took us about and hour and a half to get to the ferry. Once on the ferry, we relaxed, grabbed some lunch and soaked in the culture...and the beautiful scenery. We arrived at the port and drove for another hour and a half...then we were at Shaka!

Upon arrival, we were greeted and shown our room, which was super clan and had cute towel animals on the beds. We put our stuff down and were told dinner would be at 6:30.

Dinner was amazing. Fresh caught tuna, mashed yucca, a beautiful salad...it was definitely gourmet standards. We were tired and had a big week ahead, so we went to bed straight after.

The next day was filled with surfing and yoga. My husband is an amazing surfer, so we ventured out on our own. I took a break from that to go to yoga...which was beautiful. The instructor, Megan was so sweet and gave great instruction. She also came by a could of times to help me adjust my pose and go deeper, which I love! She was a very peaceful person and made the experience even better by adding some meditative suggestions into the practice.

Brunch was delicious and everyone at Shaka welcomed us with a smile. We adventured around town and did some shopping. We grabbed a quick snack at a local place and went back to the beach.

When we came back our room was clean with fresh towels and new towel animals. We had some laundry to be done so we left it for Maria, the housekeeper, and it was clean and folded.

The rest of the week was so amazing. We had a great time and will be back.

Room Tip: Tajalin is where we stayed, it was great!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I just love this place. It is right on the beach, in the forest and has such beautiful gardens. The food is wonderful, the rooms fantastic and the staff super friendly and helpful. It is one of my favorite hotels here in Costa Rica. The howler monkeys hang out in the trees, the beach is peaceful and safe, the iguanas crawl across the lawn and up the trees.. a great place to relax!!!
The added Yoga studio puts it over the top , Its all you can ask for and more , planning my trip SOON !

Room Tip: All room are perfect for your stay !
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank larrybenarth
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed with Shaka the week of 5/11/14 for seven days. I purchased surf&yoga package.

First, if you expecting to use the second option list on their website (Shuttle Bus by Montezuma Expeditions), you need to reserve ahead of time. Or else they will not pick you up at the airport. (I called the same day few hours ahead of time.) I was dropped off by the local bus at Santa Teresa at 9 pm the day of arrival. It was dark. Called and emailed the owner multiple times and no response. (He was at Costa Rica at the time, but I was not inform to contact anyone other ways)

The yoga is really disappointing. The instructor maybe not at her best during the low season. Instead of teaching, she chose to spend most of the time talking about herself and her feelings. So if you are not big about a therapy style yoga class, you could just skip the part even if it is free. On top of the whole thing the yoga schedule is not designed to be taken if you are also doing surfing. The maximum class you can take is one class per day most of the times, so you are better off paying for each class ($12 each) And you could also check if she is in the mood of teaching and if you like her style. Either way you are better off without paying for the yoga package.

I agree with the other review the villa is pretty basic. The mattress is hard and the pillow smells funky. It is very clean. (lots of ants at night) The lady cleans the room has the warmest smile. She even wiped my ipad screen one day. Very detailed.

There are LOTS of mosquitoes. They attack you during sleep. I was told there were two people who stayed with Shaka had malaria. (One person is the volunteer of the retreat. The other person identity unknown.) Stay away from the shared cups. I am not sure it's the filter of the water or the cups were not thoroughly washed. I was not sick or anything. Just the cups smell bad and visible foggy things at the bottom of the cup.

The air conditioner was down third day of my staying. The yoga instructor/costumer relationship lady (Megan Panchinin) suggested maybe it's broken because I used it too much. Or I set the temp too low. After she exhaust her speculation she then offered to switch a room for me at night, if the air conditioner was not magically self healing in 12 hours.

I wanted to book Montezuma zipline trip. The yoga instructor/costumer relationship lady booked Mal Pais zipline for me without asking. Later on realized there was a miscommunication, she felt really bad for the taxi driver and urgently called him to apology. I understand there is a business relationship there. But at least fake to care about your customer.

One night after dinner we were talking at the dinning area (myself and two other customers from Colorado) She came in and turned all the lights off and left. Three of us sited in the dark and looked at each other. The moment I felt really hilarious. Maybe she was really environmental friendly a person. It's really not my position to judge but she should not be doing customer relationship.

The surfing instructor was really good. (Chris) The beach is beautiful. I am a supper beginner and also intimidated by the power of ocean in some way. I felt bad that he had to push me into the wave most of the times. I am willing to pay more than what they listed for surfing.

The food standard is not consistent. If there are other important/new customers it might get fancy. If it is just yourself you might end up eating home made spaghetti with not much sauce on it. The portion is up and down too. The portion for brunch is very little. The dinner is more. If you get hungry between 10 am (brunch) to 6 pm, meditation is your only solution because there are no other places around. (one small convenience store. they have lots of chips)

No signals for phone. Wifi is slow. No way you can call internationally beside wifi based apps.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Stacey Y
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This trip to Costa Rica couldn't have been more perfect. I've been to Shaka before, so I knew what I was in store for. However, I was blown away by all of the improvements they've made.

Since I was there last they have hired a new chef (the food was gourmet, 5 star restaurant quality), re-vamped the dining experience with candles, flowers, cloth napkins, place mats, etc., and they have laundry service that was super easy and inexpensive. More than that, they have a photo package where I was able to purchase pics of myself surfing and doing yoga...something I've never had before because my husband/friends are always in the water with me...not taking pictures.

Everything was amazing and I can't wait to go back. Already booking a trip at the end of July!

Room Tip: I've stayed in every room and they are all really good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole L
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Shaka was great. I went with my brother for the purpose of learning to surf and to experience somewhere different. The surf instructors were all very patient, as I have never done anything like that before. They made it fun and allowed me to learn at my pace, yet still challenged me. The yoga class was one of the best I have had. The instructor was great and the yoga studio could not have been better. The location of Shaka was perfect. It was remote and quiet but still within walking distance of several places to eat, one of the most breathtaking beaches I have ever seen and a small market. The volunteers and staff went above and beyond to make sure we felt welcome and to show us a good time. Jerry, a surf instructor, was awesome. Gave us a few tours and took us on a hike to a waterfall. I can not say enough about the housekeeper, Maria. She was so sweet and I cried when I had to say goodbye. The volunteer, Adrian, was a huge help as well in entertaining and encouraging both my brother and I. This trip challenged me in so many ways to be braver than I previously was, to let go of expectations and enjoy the unexpected and to stop thinking so much. I made so many new friends, both guests and staff, that I hope to keep in touch with and I fell in love with Costa Rica. Oh, and there are monkeys!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rebecky7
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I read all of the positive reviews of Shaka on Trip Advisor and was really excited to take my family there. I would agree with all of the positives - a truly incredible beach a short walk away, very friendly staff at Shaka, and our weather was perfect. However, there are a few things these folks should work on and a few things you should know just to set your expectations correctly: 1) The quality of the cottages is best described as "a nice college dorm room". So, if you're 25 and used to sleeping in dorm rooms and hostels, they are awesome. If you're 45 (like me) and used to sleeping in resort-like accomodations, they're very basic. Also, when we checked in the first night, we had no toilet paper and the light fixture in our bathroom didn't work. 2) The quality of the food is best described as "very good cafeteria food". Again, if you're 25 and used to eating at your college cafeteria, it's fantastic. If you're 45 and used to eating in resort-like restaurants, it's pretty basic. We (and all of the other guests we met) went out to local restaurants a lot for dinner. 3) Surf classes were very good, surf board quality was good, and the beach/waves are absolutely world class. We had two instructors for six students most of the week. We all improved our surfing skills, although I had thought we'd make more progress surfing every day for a week. 4) The yoga instruction was very good. The instruction was very good, the accomodations were very good, and you looked out at a jungle scene (with lizards and monkeys) during the sessions.

Set your expectations according to the above, and you'll have a really fantastic vacation at Shaka.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Marathoner2013
shakasurf, Owner at Shaka Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests, especially the stuff that shows what we need to work on. Unfortunately we have had some issues with the kitchen staff and are currently searching for a new chef. Our hope is to have our kitchen back up to speed but it has been tough finding the right chef. Thank you again and have an amazing day.

Frank Bauer, Owner, Shaka Beach Retreat