We just got back from a week staying in the “Casa Tortuga” house. This home is perfect for families. This was a family surfing vacation for a family of four, Mom, Dad, teen daughter and twenty year old son.
This private cluster of residences has private entry with powered gates and there is covered carport in front of the house.
There are two separate bedrooms with king size beds (one down stairs and one up stairs) and an additional loft upstairs with a queen size bed. There are also two additional single beds downstairs, but we did not use them. The house has a full kitchen with eat-in bar, living room, two and half bathrooms, large lanai with table and outdoor living area, a separate gazebo area with sitting and hammocks by the pool. There are two safes in the house for valuables.
The beach is less than a two minute (I timed it) walk from another private security gate. The house is very clean and the only bug we saw inside was an occasional tiny ant that managed to find a crumb in the kitchen. We always felt very safe.
The wildlife outside is fascinating. The day we arrived there was a troop of monkeys in the tree in back. Sitting around the pool are in the backyard we frequently saw parrots, monkeys, large red tailed squirrels, iguanas, a caotimundi, humming birds, pacific land crabs, tinamou, etc.. The air is filled with the sounds of nature all day long.
The beach is absolutely beautiful and the waves out front were great. We caught great swell the entire time. It was overhead every day. On one of the larger days we took a short road trip to Cabuya to surf the point. One of the better waves I have ever surfed, 200+ yard right hander that was double overhead. The locals told us it was going off and we caught it good.
At lower tide the beach in front of the house has calmer areas for non-surfers to frolic and swim, Just a short walk down the beach to the right, there were tide pools to explore and swim in.
Nicole, who owns the house is a wonderful host and was on top of any need we had. She also employs a concierge who can help you with any adventures you wish to schedule.
Besides surfing we choose two other adventures, The Canopy Tour at the end of Mal Pais, and one day the girls went Horseback Riding on the beach and mountains. I highly recommend Canopy Tour. Adriane, who runs the tour is also very great to work with.
There are two things you need to be advised of before you come here.
1. If you drive, you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle, and preferably not the little cheap ones. Spend the extra $150 weekly rental fee and get a solid SUV.
2. Be prepared to “go off the grid”. Even though there is wi-fi and cell service, it’s not always great coverage. Don’t plan to live on facebook or twitter. Go offline and enjoy this place. That’s why you’re here in the first place right!
We will be coming back here to stay again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mariposa Private Beach homes began as little more than a dream and a vacant parcel of land in 2003. Our mission is to offer private, well built, clean and comfortable houses with everything necessary to enjoy quality vacation time with your family and friends. This is an ongoing project, and every year we continue to make improvements to our infrastructure, houses and gardens. We are committed to becoming as sustainable and community friendly as possible. Our employees are 100% local (born and raised) help and we use local products and suppliers whenever possible. We are also founding members of our neighborhood association, know as AVSTN for it’s Spanish acronym, volunteer at the local public school and have served on the board of directors of the local water board and AVSTN. Mariposa Private Beach Home’s commitment to improve the quality of life of our employees and growing town extends beyond our gates, as we are involved in various community projects as the recycle program, monthly beach clean-ups, education programs in the public school, public water, roads and security issues. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Mariposa Vacation Homes Hotel Santa Teresa
- Mariposa Vacation Homes Costa Rica/Santa Teresa