“A little gem in Santa Teresa.”
Review of Cabinas Calocita

Cabinas Calocita
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A little gem in Santa Teresa.”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I initially booked 2 nights in-between Christmas and New Year but extended my stay as I had such a great time here.

The location is fantastic, literally just over the road from the beach, near to a superb supermarket and surrounded by numerous good cheap eats, my favorite being 'El Capitan' which is right next door.

The rooms are basic but were everything that I needed( clean, comfortable & with hot shower & fan ) for an excellent rate.

Kristian, the owner, is serious about wanting to ensure that the Cabinas are a safe place for guests to stay and that his guests enjoy their stay. The cleaning lady is lovely and the resident guard dog, Lily, certainly fulfills her role of keeping any wayward people off campus whilst being sociable and friendly to people who are staying.

The Cabinas have a communal area and everyone I met was cool and friendly . All in all I had an excellent stay at a great place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 4 March 2013

By far the best,cleanest,quietest and most affordable place to stay in Santa Teresa. We've stayed here the last two years and definitely plan to come back again and again. Christian the owner goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and hosts impromptu barbecues which is a great way to meet everyone staying there. Can't fault it one bit.

Stayed February 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I spent four weeks at Cabinas Calocita in early 2013 and was quite happy about the entire experience. Located 100 meters off the main road (but away from all the dust, which is very important) and 250 meters from Playa Carmen, Calocita is perfectly situated. The hotel has 7 private rooms across 2 stories (4 on top, 3 below), each room with a private bath. There is a shared communal kitchen, which is convenient. I cooked 1-2x per day to save money. The courtyard with its hammocks, surfboard shed, and towering plants is pleasant to the eyes. Christian (the owner) is extremely helpful, informative, and often times funny. He is almost always on-site (he sleeps in a private room nearest the courtyard entrance) and when he is not, his employee Rosa and his dog Lilly are there. The entire premises are extremely well-kept, clean, and safe. The rooms are simple, clean, and functional. Knowing Costa Rica quite well, I can say that Calocita is as clean and tidy as they come. Once (sometimes twice) a week Christian would host and prepare a barbecue in the courtyard during which he (along with his lovely girlfriend and two fellow German friends) would cook freshly caught fish and whatever other food the hotel guests brought. The barbecues are friendly and stomach-filling experiences - do not pass up if you have the chance.

Would I recommend Cabinas Calocita to my friends and family? Yes. Would/will I return? Yes. Pura vida!

• Stayed February 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We wanted to be walking-distance to everything, and boy did we get what we ordered. Calocita is close to the beach, restaurants, groceries, surf shops, travel companies, and even the paramedics - and very LGBT friendly. Chris is a great (and multilingual) host, very personable professional, and the other staff was very patient with my so-so Spanish. Calocita is neat and well-kept, and somehow quite quiet despite how close to everything it is. Chris' laid-back professionalism seemed to set the tone for the guests, too, who were all a pleasure to share the kitchen and common areas with.

The room we had was clean, airy, and bright, and was easy to keep comfortable at night with the ceiling fan. It's not fancy - we had a bed, private shower and bath, shelves, fans, and a table outside on the balcony - but everything the room was well-appointed and the furnishings were new, attractive, and well-kept.

I can't think of anything negative to say about Calocita. It's clean and comfortable and close to everything Santa Teresa and Mal Pais have to offer. We loved our time there and would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I would prefer to get a room at the ends of the building, but they all looked great.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I had a great time at this location. The room was clean and plenty of room for two people. The common areas were pleasant, comfortable and full of great people. Seriously, every person who stayed there was awesome and I think that is a product of the owner Chris. He is super knowledgeable about the area and so focused on the laid back lifestyle that it is almost infectious. The hotel is essentially across the street from the beach and downhill from a gorgeous yoga studio. Plenty of places to rent surfboards nearby with a great storage area. Santa Teresa itself is sort of overrun with tourists but I went during the peak season. That is probably better not around Christmas. That has nothing to do with this place though. I am a picky dude and I really, really liked it. That even says nothing of the extremely affordable price.

Room Tip: Away from the kitchen if you are antisocial. Downstairs rooms are cooler.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four nights on our way through Costa Rica. We were thankful to find the place as it is off of the main street and away from the dust and traffic. The rooms were spotless, smelled great, and very affordable for the area. Not that you need them, but hot showers were a nice option after weeks of nothing but cold. Clean kitchen and small selection of games and books. Chris is a wonderful host that can give you whatever info you're looking for. AND..... Lilly the guard dog! She's the most wonderful pit bull you've ever seen. You can sleep easy knowing that Lilly is on duty discouraging would be snoopers. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I loved this place, we decided to minimise travelling around and took a gamble on it being a good choice (based on reviews) and it was! If I had the money I would just live there. I could get used to that lifestyle, of waking up wandering to the beach for a swim, coming back, brewing some coffee and reading in the hammock whilst my husband went surfing. The owner was always around for advice and tips, the cleaning lady was lovely too. We thought we would have to stay in dorms until we found this gem and I am so so happy we did; this made our holiday totally enjoyable; perfect location, excellent value, large clean comfortable rooms, we will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends