“Incompetent and couldn't be bothered to help guests who made reservations! Trip almost ruined due to their lack of competence!”

Pura Vida MiniHostel - Santa Teresa
santa barbara, ca
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Booked 4 nights to stay at mini hostel. Plans changed a week or so before we were to arrive at the hostel. Called the hostel to let them know we would be showing up a day later than originally expected but that we were coming. The person who answered the phone at the hostel said he couldn't find my reservation but that I would be fine to come in a day later. Worried that the person I spoke with wouldn't follow up and make sure we had a room, I emailed the hostel and called again to make sure they did not give the room away since it is the high season. Never received an email back and when I called the 2nd time the person answering the phone said they had no way to tell if we had a reservation or not. Didn't make much sense but couldn't do a thing until we arrived. Upon arriving I spoke with a woman who said if I didn't come the day of the scheduled reservation, I was out of luck cause the room was given away already. She could careless of my attempts to contact the hostel and didn't even plan on giving me back my deposit until I told her how angry I was and that I would be making a horrible review of the hostel. Ended up finally finding another open hostel in Santa Teresa where we were charged $200 a night because mini hostel never saved our room. There are plenty of hostels in Santa Teresa. Go somewhere else where they actually care about your business!

Stayed December 2012
3 Thank susanb1003

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Munster, Germany
Reviewed 10 December 2012

the worst hostel i have ever been to! we arrived in the evening and asked for a room- there was one double that had to be cleaned up. after we went to dinner, we saw that the "cleaning up" consisted from changing the dirty bed linen for other dirty bed linen, with strange stains on it. the floor was still so dirty like it had't been wiped for years. the fan was broken and total crap.
the bathroom was so disgusting that i preferred not to go to the toilet. the cockroach was the smallest problem in here.
everything was so loveless, it seemed that no one is interested in keeping the place clean as long as they are making money with it.
we fled the next morning without seeing the kitchen- but if its in the same condition as the bathroom- cheers!

totally gross- there are many better hostels in santa teresa!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laura0683

Travellers are raving about these Santa Teresa hotels

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stayed twice and both times felt right at home.. The staff are super friendly. The location is 2 mins to the beach. It's possible to cook up a storm, swim in the pool, play pool, lounge around in the hammocks, chill out watching cable TV. It's not possible to not enjoy your stay here..

• Stayed December 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 July 2012

From the first phone call speaking to Jack to handing in the key at departure, everyone was incredibly helpful.
We stayed in a private room where one bed rolled out from underneath the other - very exciting for a five-year-old. The room was clean and quiet and bigger than I expected.
Some of the guests did a double-take and were a little surprised to see a little kid running around and splashing in the pool, but minutes later, were making faces with him.
Everyone that worked there was incredibly helpful with making a phone call for me, giving directions, driving suggestions and everything else I inquired about.
A short walk to the incredible beach - be sure to watch the sunset. Speaking of beach, we were standing by some rocks looking out at the ocean, I turned around to take pictures and saw three horses just running on the sand! No riders, no bridles - just running. Very cool moment!
Minihostel is convenient, you can walk to everything.
WiFi access is a nice plus. I swung in a hammock setting up our next destination as my husband and little guy played in the pool.
Music coming from the reception area was always good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 24 June 2012

very nice, staff is awesome!
lots of hammocks, good kitchen, nice swimming pool and good little restaurant!
seconds away from the beach. very good vibe!!
maybe the bathrooms and shower can be better but despite that...i loved it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
mal pais
Reviewed 9 May 2012

On a recent stay at the minihostel I witnessed the owner physically beat up a women and a local man. I would not support any company that allows this type of treatment towards women or its local people. Not only was this horrific, but all the Israeli guest as well as the owner were very loud and obnoxious. No consideration for the other guest.
After this experience I moved to another location on the other end of town and it was more tranquil and relaxing with the "Pura Vida" vibe I was looking for in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Annagracegaraway
Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I stayed at the mini hostel and i loved the place.. Its a great place to chill with your friends, theres a nice area with a pool.. hammocks where you can sit and enjoy the place. you also can camping or stay in one of the rooms they have. all of then are really confortable.. and the people that work in here are really nice and kind. . . i totally recomend this place to stay.. low rates and a grate place close to everything!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends