“Unforgettable...”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Diamond Bar, California
“Unforgettable...”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had actually booked this trip through Vajra Sol Adventures, to go on a yoga/surf retreat. I had looked over reviews and pictures of the resort to get an idea and I have to say, that it didn't disappoint. It was incredibly liberating to feel so free and relaxed. The two things that stand out the most are the people who work there and the incredible food. I wake up every morning dreaming about smoothies and the yummy oatmeal banana pancakes! It was always a pleasure to see the same faces waiting on you day after day that it felt like spending time with family. And having Susan stop by our table for lunch every day and entertain us with stories was something to remember! By the way, we still talk about the key lime/passionfruit cheesecake! I can't recommend this resort enough to everyone. If you're looking for paradise, look no further than Pranamar Resort!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alice L
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Ha ha, glad to see my chatting with you didnt drive you nuts! I love to meet all the guests, but you were so darn friendly and fun...that i probably drove you nuts. And im delighted you loved the panckakes and the keylime pie....thats my daughters specialty. But truth be known, the beauty and warmth of Pranamar are the GUESTS and my amazing PRANAMAR STAFF
We are really family....thanks for joining right in!
Susan money, owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The staff is amazingly accommodating and the grounds are gorgeous. The food is phenomenal and it was the perfect setting to propose to my fiancee. We will definately be back for an anniversary soon!

• Stayed July 2011
THANKS!!! My gosh, Ischmel our surf instructor is exactly as you say, a real gem. And Paola at the beach bar LOVES her job...because of people like you.
Where do i begin? Thank you seems insignificant.....but its from my heart.
see you soon, i HOPE
susan money, owner
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Leaving the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and then tolerating the indignities of modern air travel, what a joy to drop ones baggage (literal and metaphorical) in this little corner of paradise. I can go on about the beauty, the beaches, the great food, but what makes Pranamar so special are the people. Such a warm, caring, and helpful staff, they truly represent the spirit of pura vida.
I won't mention everyone,but my special thanks and love go out to Ishmael, my surfing instructor. My wife was running a yoga retreat but Ishmael was my guru of the waves. " Breathe, relax, focus, look ahead not down, do not fight the ocean"- is this life or surfing? You know when they say someone is "good people"? Ishmael is good people and he loves to teach and he's good at it. And then there's Paula ( I hope that's how she spells her name)who runs the little beach bar. What a doll. Everyone fell in love with her- always smiling, always helpful.
These two are representative of everyone on the staff and for this I must commend Susan, the owner, because this attitude does not come by accident. The tone is set from the top.
Now not everything was perfect, There are little things here and there that can be improved. Internet access was very intermittent and unpredictable and this was a serious problem for a member in our group. Closet space was in most accomodations nonexistent. We had a curtain rod that was not very stable and fell a few times. The latch on the doors to our armoire was broken. If you choose, you can hold on to these little imperfections but for me, those cares melted away when compared to everything good and pure about Pranamar. I miss you all.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank IraBernstein
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Having spent the last 6 nights at this resort, the above average food, ambience, and surfing were seriously undermined by internet service that was slow (i.e. makes POTS look like 4G) and intermittent...an exaggeration as it was available sparsely only at various hours during the day (unavailable more than available). What's even more disappointing was the management's refusal after my request that they alert future guests about this problem by making adjustments to their internet representations on their web site. Had I known of the problem beforehand, I would have never stayed at this resort.

If you do find that you are already committed to going to Pranamar and need reasonably fast internet service with excellent availability, go to the restaurant "Pasta Basta". Its about a 10 minute cab ride into Santa Teresa and is open from about 11AM until the late evening. The manager is very welcoming and appreciates your business.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ben0506
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Ben
Thank you for taking the time to write Trip Advisor! As you well know (since I am the owner who discussed the internet connection with you) this problem is being worked on. For the benefit of newcomers to Costa Rica, be aware that many things in this country can be "sporadic". For example, electricity...internet...delivery service...banking and money transfers, water and road accessability!!
Pranamar has the fastest internet service available in this part of the country. There is no other service provider, so its not as though we can change hands the minute a problem arises. As I had explained to Ben, there is a mountain behind us that makes difficult our internet connection since it is via a radio signal, not wired. Yes, he was able to go elsewhere...(where the mountain was not a problem) and get connected. However, I am presently helping the internet company find the owner of a the mountain so that they can put a tower there. It looks like this is going to happen! I do not feel I need to say on my website that internet can go down, because if anyone is doing their homework about Costa Rica or any other country they are visiting in Central America, they will read about the roads, the electricity, the bugs, the banking and the lack of public water....frustrations which make this part of the world a little more challenging. Just ask any of us who live here.
That said, Im very excited to say we have excellent internet at times and it looks like we are going to be able to have consistent internet in the near future! But if your life or your business depends on having high speed internet 24 hours a day, be prepared to visit various other locations...all of us suffer from time to time! Knowing this will reduce your stress.
Part of travel is accepting that the rest of the world is not as blessed as North America...in terms of services...but this can be compensated for by celebrating the kindness of the locals, their ability to adapt and the beauty of their country! Thank you Ben for sharing your experience!!
Susan Money, owner Pranamar
Hamden, CT
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned from a trip to costa rica where I was able to spend a couple of nights at Pranamar. Stayed in bungalow 1 which looks right out onto the ocean. A gorgeous tropical room with a gorgeous view. The food was excellent and the service top notch. Everyone so friendly and warm. I highly recommend the high quality yoga classes with Nancy. The Shala has spectacular views. Susan , the owner and her husband Greg were personable, making themselves available for all kinds of conversation.They were extremely helpful in arranging accommodations for us at a beautiful bed and breakfast in Tamarindo for the end of trip. Whether you want to practice your downward dog, surf the waves, or just relax in the hammocks and enjoy the sunset, this is the place to go in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Charlestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have traveled extensively and many times in Costa Rica.

Although my family and I do not usually stay at resort like hotels and generally rent private homes this place was great.
The Staff accommodating and friendly, Food was outstanding, Villas beautiful. They have several excellent Yoga teachers and classes for any level. Top it of with a 5 minute walk to great surfing.

I had several massages with De'lores working on some shoulder issues. She was beyond great! I could have had a massage everyday, but she insisted I wait several days between to allow the adjustments to take. Clearly more concerned with healing me than taking my money.
Nothing here for young kids..(my boys are 14 and 19) If your kids surf and swim they'll have a great time.

Room Tip: Villa 1 on the beach