I don't know where to start with how wonderful and special this place is. First, the location. Right on the beach, with some of the most fun, gentle surfing waves you can imagine. Walk out of your bungalow, take a few steps, and you are on a miles long beach that you are sharing with maybe, on a weekend, 20 other people, all spread out. You largely have the beach to yourself -- paradise!! The beach in front of Pranamar is a little rocky for swimming, but fine for wading and meditating among the tidepools. And OMG the sunsets over the water. We watched every night and it filled us with wonder. A 5-6 minute walk gets you to a gorgeous beach with great swimming and surfing. Second, the people. Owners were on site when we visited, and the staff were so friendly, that after only a week we came to think of them as friends. My husband celebrated his birthday here, and the staff asked if we wanted to have a special dinner brought to our cottage. With all honesty, we said, no, we want to be with our new friends. I think the staff genuinely like working there and it shows. Third, the yoga. We had three instructors during our week, all excellent. The yoga is a pretty standard vinyasa practice, nothing too too strenuous (I am used to a Baptiste practice, so keep that in mind -- this isn't Hatha), with a few Bikram and ashtanga poses thrown in. There was also a Yin class. Fourth, the accommodations. We stayed 5 days in Bungalow 2 and then 3 days at one of the White House cottages. Both were lovely, but we preferred the Bungalow at Pranamar. Bungalow 2 was great, an amazing outdoor shower and comfy bed, plenty of space and clean. I honestly don't know where the bad reviews about bugs and cleanliness come from (??). I guess I agree with VascoDG -- if you are into super-lux hotel chain type resorts in touristy areas, I guess this isn't for you. Actually, don't come here -- you might mess up the Zen of this place. But if you want a chill, restful vibe, in peaceful, friendly surroundings, Buddha and other yoga inspired furnishings around you, and not a lot of people, this is for you. The White House is a little more posh, with a full kitchen, and more secluded. Pranamar has the feel of a community and the paths are almost like meditation mazes. The pool at Pranamar was built to look like a river (it meanders, has a green bottom, and is surrounded by a lush tropical garden) and we loved swimming and lolling around in it. I actually thought Bungalow 2 was kind of a deal -- we got breakfast and yoga classes for both of us included, and given that the room was a good value. Oh -- and the food at the restaurant is delicious. Which is good, b/c there's not a lot within walking distance here (there's one tapas place 5 mins walk away which is yummy, but cash only!).
The only thing I'd say is I wish there were screens on the windows and doors -- we love fresh air and don't love a/c, but it is probably not a good idea to throw open the windows without screens, because this is the jungle and yes there are bugs here. But in all honesty they didn't bother us at all. We didn't even use our bug repellent that I anxiously brought after reading the reviews (I'm usually the girl covered in mosquito bites after the camping trip). In any event, I wish I could have slept with fresh air, but I was too chicken to do so without screens.
Basically, one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. A pain to get here (if you are from the NorthEast US) but utterly worth it. A great feeling about the place and so restful and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Thank you Pranamar for a great vacation!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Costa Rica’s Premier Ocean Front HotelPranamar Ocean Front Villas and Yoga Retreat, an intimate, consciously designed oceanfront hotel recently built on the spectacular beach of Playa Santa Teresa, offers guests tropical beauty and nature in an exotic and friendly ambience. Along with world-class surfing and our top-quality Yoga classes, numerous activities and adventures await you.Immerse yourself in the beauty and ease into nature’s rhythm as Pranamar’s experienced and caring staff take care of all the details, making sure your vacation is perfect.Our hotel offers a variety of accommodations to fit your needs and desires: our luxurious two-storey villas built around a free-form saltwater pool have private lounging areas, tropical gardens and boast spectacular views, while the ecologically-constructed bungalows offer tropical simplicity with sea breezes, spacious decks and views of the ocean.Pranamar’s beautifully designed open-air restaurant and tea lounge specializes in healthy, delicious cuisine using organic fruits and vegetables, local fresh fish, seafood and organic meats.We invite you to step into the rhythm of nature, breath in the energy of the sea and discover... PRANAMAR!!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pranamar Villas And Yoga Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Pranamar Villas And Yoga Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa