“Manala Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
San Diego, California
“Manala Hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Manala Hotel was a great experience. The bungalow rooms are large and comfortable, with a great shower area. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The provided continental breakfast was very nice (with local fruit, coffee and toast). There was entry point to a great surf spot, which was as close as any other location I could see. Most of the hotels in this area are across the street from about a 50 yard walk to the beach. I would definately return to this location in the future. They rent ATV's as well, which turned out to be a highlight of the trip.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Dallas
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If you are traveling to Santa Teresa for a vacation, you probably are already looking for an experience that is "off the beaten path". I stayed at the Manala for 7 days while attending a wedding just this past week and I can't give it a better word of mouth than to say I would stay here again anytime I can get back there. I was staying there during the "green season", which is the low season there so the town has a sleepy feel to it (but was picking up as I left). While being "off the beaten path", it's still nice to have a comfortable place to stay. The front desk guys, Ronald and Marco, are incredibly helpful with just about anything. They helped arrange our canopy tour and even told us that others in the hotel were going so we could share a cab, which saved us some money! Cab rides, quad rentals, flights, tours, general advice, (even called in a pizza delivery for us!) both of these guys really made the place extra special. The staff works daily in the morning to keep the place tidy, clean, and there is security walking around at night. None of which is intrusive. 2 outdoor showers for your trips back from the beach to rinse off the sand before going into your bungalow or pool. Hot water shower, mini fridge, and AC in the rooms. WiFi wasn't too great in the rooms, but it was fun to meet people at the pool are using the WiFi there. With only 8 bungalows and the pool at the midpoint, it is literally 5-15 yards from everything. There is a sitting area with a table outside the bungalow that is great for just sitting (very well covered) and eating the simple breakfast (fruit, toast, coffee, juice) that is brought to you in the morning. If you are planning on 2 separate beds, one is the Hide-a-Bed which sleeps lower that the regular bed. I slept in both and they were both comfortable. The higher bed feels a little cooler than the lower bed due to be closer to the AC, which worked out perfectly for me. The lower bed probably wouldn't be long enough if you are a tall person.
Beach access is across the street about 15-20 steps from the end of the driveway. It is about as close as you can get being on the opposite side of the street. The hotel restaurant wasn't open yet for the season when I went.
The town of Santa Teresa is spread out. Renting a 4x4 car (rainy season), quad, motorbike, or bicycle is recommendable, but my friend and I did walk locally the whole time. There are places to eat and a small grocery store within a walking distance. At one point, we actually walked to the next town, Playa Carmen (which is where the bank is), round trip with stops at shops, was about 2.5 hours (in the sun, it gets pretty tiring, but it felt like one sprawling town the whole way). I would rent some form of transportation the next time, just for the speed and ease of getting around to explore.
All and all? I'd stay again. My thanks to the owner, Laura for making my first experience in Costa Rica a great one.

Room Tip: I stayed in bungalow 4, which splits the midpoint with bungalow 6, and it's perfect. It's ac...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed here during the second week of October 2011 for three nights. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. The decorations were simple and sparse, but appropriate for a bungalow. The general landscaping is very nice and the property is quiet; however, on the weekends, you might hear faint music coming from a music club just up the road, but it was nothing to complain about. Breakfast was simple and delicious; fruits, juice, coffee, and toast. It was delivered to the bungalow patio every morning at 07:30. The property is about 150 meters from the beach (across the road and down a little path). Recommend driving an SUV to get there - 4x4 not necessary as long as the roads aren't too wet. October is rainy season and we only used four-wheel drive one or two times - even then only as a precaution. One minor negative: the location is a bit out of town center, so driving up and down the very bumpy road will get old quick. We were not disappointed with our stay and can recommend it as a nice place to lodge.

Room Tip: Bungalows are built in a straight line perpendicular to the road and reception (numerical order). B...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Manala Hotel last December and had a wonderful experience. Santa Teresa and the Manala Hotel were recommended to us by our travel agent because we were looking for a beach experience that was less commercial and off the beaten path. We were not disappointed! We loved our experience in Santa Teresa.

The owner and staff at the Manala Hotel were very friendly and helpful to us during our stay. They helped us to get oriented to the area and made some recommendations on activities and places to visit during our stay.

The beach was a very short walk from the hotel and was beautiful and not crowded. Actually more people were in the water than on the sand since this is a very popular place for surfers!

We rented ATVs one day and drove to Montezuma where we hiked to the waterfalls and had lunch. This was a little bit of an adventure for us since we do not speak spanish and we were worried about finding our way. Everyone at Manala assured us this would not be an issue and we are so glad we took their advice. What a fun day!

Another day we rented bicycles and rode to visit various beaches in Santa Teresa and Mal Pais. This was a great way to explore the area and see a little more than what was right by the Manala Hotel.

The bungalows were so charming. We loved having breakfast on the patio every morning. It was very simple – fresh fruit, coffee and toast – but great to start the day. Within walking distance of the hotel were several nice places to eat – pizza, argentinian, local café (sodas)

We highly recommend the Manala Hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Nice place feels like home, very frendly staff, comfortable. Lovely decorated. Recomendable.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We spent 6 nights at Hotel Manala. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the location was excellent. The staff was extremely helpful with booking activities in the local area. Would definitely go back to Manala again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here last November over Thanksgiving week and had such an amazing experience. What originally drew us to Manala was the privacy and charm of the bungalows, not to mention the reviews I had read that commented on how clean the bungalows were kept. I felt comfortable with our decision to stay at Manala, even though it was a risk considering they had only been open about 6 months at the time.

Our stay from the moment we arrived had already surpassed my hopes. The two men (I'm sorry I don't remember your names, I waited too long to write this!) who worked the front desk throughout our stay were beyond friendly & accommodating. They were so willing to help with whatever we inquired about and always offered great suggestions for restaurants & activities. I never experienced anything but pleasant interactions with the entire staff!

The bungalows themselves were SO clean and so nice. I'm some what of a clean freak so this was super important to me! The showers are huge and the sink area was spacious as well. The layout and decor are both charming and make for a very comfortable stay.
It was a really nice touch to have them knock on your door and leave your coffee (or tea) & breakfast on the front patio every morning, at whatever time you requested. The fruit was always fresh and came with equally simple yet delicious toast & coffee. It's extremely relaxing to eat breakfast on a beautiful front patio facing their pool with the sounds of the rainforest on the left side of you and of the beach to the right.

The beach is only a very short walk down a path straight ahead of Manala and is beautiful!
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the fact that Santa Teresa is not as full of tourists as other nearby towns were. We went to Montezuma for ziplining and found it to be taken over by tourists (with mediocre beaches). Santa Teresa has a certain charm to it because it sort of lacks that commercialization.

As far as restaurants go, everything we tried we loved! Our favorite by far was Chicken Joes, we went back several times & their ceviche is the best I've ever had! The owners were so so friendly. There was an adorable little cafe that I forget the name of, but they had delicious crepes. There was also an argentinian place right next to one of the little bridges that was delicious as well.

All in all our stay there was so enjoyable, we definitely felt like we got really lucky with our choice to stay at Manala and could not wait to go back as soon as we left. We're actually going back again this November!!
I would say do yourself a favor and stay here, it should be rated #1!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple