“Amazing time in Costa Rica!”
Review of Manala Hotel

and 1 more site!
Manala Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Austin
“Amazing time in Costa Rica!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

When planning my trip recently I stumbled upon the Manala hotel and could not be happier that I did!! We arrived to Costa Rica in San Jose and Fabian with reception at Manala helped get us safely from the big city to our final destination at Manala Hotel on the coast. He, as well as other staff are friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating and are able to help you with anything you need. We had assistance with planning our overall trip, signing up for and getting to zip lining and had a wonderful three days at the hotel.

We went in September which is typically the rainy season but had an amazing time nonetheless - we experienced a small earthquake but almost instantly the owner of the hotel was at our door to make sure we weren’t scared or in need of anything - everyone here always greeted us with a smile and care. Following the earthquake we had a bit of a rain storm (about 6 hours’ worth of downpour) and a power outage, but again the owner and staff were at our door in minutes with candles and offered to bring our group anything that we needed - they even called a taxi for us so that we could go to a restaurant down the street while we waited for power. All in all customer service here is unrivaled. You couldn’t find a better place to stay in most of the world.

Along with the great service, the hotel and grounds are beautiful - incredibly clean with all the modern conveniences. The bungalows are separate and private and all would be amazing to stay in (sometimes hotels have rooms better than others - not the case with Manala. We stayed in room 4 right across from the pool). Our daily breakfast of fruit, toast and coffee was delicious - I really wish we had stayed during peak season though because I hear the restaurant is amazing. Location is another perk of this hotel - we were in proximity to anything we could want. Shops, the beach and great restaurants were only steps away and in both directions. I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Santa Teresa as a couple or with friends!

Room Tip: Only 8 bungalows available - I would avoid number five only because it is right next to the pool. Th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
MANALAHOTEL, Propietario at Manala Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
We are really glad to help each of our guests. In Manalá we can arrange tours for travelers when they arrive here. There are many interesting things to do in Santa Teresa, Malpais.
We are now in the middle of the rainy season, as they could see, it does not rain every day, and when it rains is still hot. After September, 5th´s earthquake there have been small earthquakes, but we take special care of people in here.
It is a real pleasure to give our best custmer service for people enjoying the beauty of Costa Rican coasts. We do daily cleaning into the bungalows, and they are self-enclosed and separated of others for more privacy.
Our rate incluides continental breakfast (toasts with butter and jelly, three kinds of fruits, orange juice, coffee, tea, milk). Manalá Hotel is surrounded by many places to eat as well.
Thanks a lot for your recommendations and good comments, we will be glad to look at you in the peak season again.
See you soon...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at Manala Hotel for 3 nights at the end of July. We loved the bungalow accommodations! The room was spacious, airy, and very quiet given it was a detached, standalone room. Access to the beach was down a short lane directly across the road. While the beach was basically deserted anyway, we liked that the hotel was north of town - this meant that we often had the entire beach to ourselves - amazing!

The best part of Manala Hotel was the helpfulness of the staff. Surfing lesson? Taxi? Dinner reservation? Departure transportation? Anything we asked about was recommended and booked for us within minutes.

My only suggestion for improvement (and this is getting nit-picky) would be more comfortable lounge chairs by the pool. The pool area was a great way to unwind after a day in the surf and sun. Manala was the perfect find for our stay in Santa Teresa!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
MANALAHOTEL, Propietario at Manala Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you very much for your truly review. Me and the staff are really happy with your stay and we hope you can come back to have a really nice vacations again. For summer the lounge chairs by the pool are of wood and have a small mattres, really comfortable! You came in the rainy season and this year we decide to change them, because the mattreses get wet and conserves humid. I promise that if you come back in summer, we will have the comfortable once for you. Thanks again for your review and have a great and truly relaxing time!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2012

A great place to "get lost" and do your own thing for a while, if you want. All cabins are detached from any other structures, except cabin #5.
The cabins are large, still cozy, well appointed and very clean. The kitchen produces amazing food and good suggestions from the chef. The pool has water jets on the side if you want and it's close to the beach. The wifi connection is tenuous though.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 is attached to the main building and near the kitchen. Probably best avoided.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin B
MANALAHOTEL, Propietario at Manala Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thanks Kevin,
This is a nice and good review. We hope you can come back again!
Just to let you know, we are in a place that Wifi is like sacred. We have 2Mb of speed and is the only choice we have. Is the maximum in the locality. Is not an excuse, but is the best we can do. We hope that for the next time you come, we can have a better coice for you. Thank you very much!!
Devon
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Amazing staff and bungalows. The restaurant is amazing (try the Tuna steak!).
Very quite and quad bike hire is available from reception (better quality bikes than some of the main rental places in town).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Simple and Direct!! Thank you very much for this review. More than welcome to have you back any time!!
Marina, California
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My Wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I went to Santa Teresa back in 2003 and boy have things changed.

We stayed at manala for 6 nights on the second portion of 11 day honeymoon. We left the five star resort just up the road so it was a bit of a change but we are not used to super nice hotels so it didn't bother us.

The Pros:
-Literally right across the street from the only place I would ride a bike to surf in Santa Teresa. You walk out of the resort, go across the street, and walk down the path to the beach (next to La Lora). The proximity to the surf can't be rivaled by any other resort in Santa Teresa.
-Since this was the second half of our honeymoon and we were doing the sparse day trip activities and surfing, it was nice to come back to a A/C room with a TV and just relax and watch some HBO or ESPN.
-Marco and his restaurant in the Hotel. He's only been open for 8 months or so but the traffic from outside the resort is null and void. Almost every breakfast or dinner we ate there, we were the only ones and it was great. Granted, its their slow season, but it was pretty nice to not have to wait a long time to get something to drink, be waited on etc... Not to mention he is a great cook and makes amazing meals for really cheap!
-Maids keep the rooms nice and clean with the daily service
-Pool jets/jacuzzi steps were nice to relax in
-The resort just looks amazing and there are geckos everywhere.
-Very quiet and peaceful
-Close to town, but far enough away to not be in the "thick of it"
-Close to Food, if you don't have a quad or bike, you can surf and eat all within walking distance.

Cons:
-The Beds. I'm 6'3", 220lbs and my wife is 5'9" 135 and with the rooms only having a queen bed, it wasn't that comfy. Also, its an old style spring bed that would bounce my wife around while I was moving etc.. If they get new beds, this place would be so much more comfy!
-There is no bar, or no real social place to meet anyone at the resort. After Marco closes the restaurant, its dead, which can be a good or bad thing, but a bar would be nice. La Lora is right across the street so if you need a drink its right there.
-Bottle openers and eating utensils need to be in the rooms. No big deal but when we needed them, good thing the office was open and Ronald happen to have a fork.
-no phone in the room but reception will call anyone for you, as long as its between 8am-8pm while they are there...

Only reason I gave it a 4 of 5 was because of the beds. This place would be a knockout 5of5 if the beds were nicer.

Oh, I also saw them put two beds in one room for a family from brazil that showed up so I thought that was pretty cool of them. The staff is so nice, Ronald was super helpful our whole stay there and we offered him a stay at our place in California for him and his girlfriend...

definitely going back!

Room Tip: all the rooms are great and I believe the same layout. Restaurant is up by villas 6,7,8 which is fa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
MANALAHOTEL, Propietario at Manala Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Santa Teresa is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy time with friends or the couple. Also, a great place to surf or to learn how to surf.

Manalá Hotel offers to our guests “queen beds”. We are really glad to help them with everything they need to make them feel the good sensation of the vacation time. Restaurant was open for breakfast and dinner, and closed at 10 pm. This is not a big place, there are only 8 bungalows, maybe other people want to rest instead of having some drinks, but it is possible to meet people on the pool or while restaurant is open. About meeting people there are different spots in Santa Teresa to have some drinks and socialize with other travelers or local people.

Into the bungalows is not allowed to cook, so that is why there are no utensils inside, but while reception is open we will help you with everything you need.

Thanks a lot for comments about Manalá Hotel, it is always a pleasure to see guests coming back to our place, it make us feel so much good.

Hope to see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband and I spent five nights here and it was awesome! The staff was VERY friendly and helpful for whatever you wanted to do. The restaurant was one of the best in the area. We ended-up eating there for several meals. We would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Erin,

I just have a word for this review... THANKS!! We are more than greatful for this kind of review, we just expect you can come again and enjoy of this great place! Our staff and me will be more than happy to have you again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Our vacation time was coming up again and while we could've stayed anywhere other than Costa Rica, we both felt like we hadn't had enough the first time around. So we booked our bungalows for Manala for the second year in a row.
We arrive and I was a little car sick from the drive in, but I stumble into the bungalow and immediately noticed a few differences from my first stay. There were flowers on the bed in the shape of a huge heart, and a bottle of champagne with 2 flutes. "They stepped up their decorations" was my first reaction (though it was wonderful the first time) and I was pretty clueless as to why our room was set up like this.
Then my boyfriend proposed and it all made sense :).
I thought their effort to make it special was so thoughtful and they all asked him about it afterwards.
It meant a lot to me that they remembered us and really cared about that moment being special.
Okay now onto food! Their restaurant was finally opened and had been open for only a few days when we arrived.
It. Is. So. Delicious! We ate in for several dinners- the mahi mahi is my fav! Everything we had was great and it's run by the best people. They were very sweet and I loved the family feel.
Eating next to the pool looking into the rainforest isn't bad as well ;).
Again I highly recommend this spot.
Santa Teresa is not for anyone expecting a resort-town, as I've read a review where they were disappointed it was too secluded? As I've said before, it's for people who love quiet towns not overrun by tourists. If you're stuffy about the laid-back surfer/beach vibe, then you probably shouldn't head into a town that is known for that :).
Although I have a feeling Santa Teresa will one day be outed as the best spot to the masses and it may very well over flow with tourists, but I'm hoping not!

• Stayed November 2011
Hi Tammy,

Our staff and us are really happy with you!! We love when people come back!! We are more than hapy with this review and we hope you can come back AGAIN!!! Thanks for this motivation and it´s good that you let people know that this place is not for every one! that why guest have to research a little bit more of the places they are going to visit.
Thanks again for everything and for note our detail changes.