This is difficult. We had the two bed villa which is expensive - more than $400 a night so maybe my expectations were too high. Here are the pros and cons:-
Amazing beach and loads of places to drive around and explore and great bars and restaurants
Friendly, informative and welcoming owners
Nice beach bar with fab margaritas and surprisingly good food
Once you get used to the dusty surroundings and accept that it's ok to do nothing it's really relaxing. If we'd stayed a couple of days longer we'd have got the balance perfect between relaxing by the bar, going exploring and finding great places to eat.
2 bed villa is not as charming as the one beds and looks directly out over the other villas so it felt a bit like we were on a seaside housing estate rather than in a beach house
Vibe is definitely self-catering rather than hotel. Coffee and sugar is supplied but even if it's not a hotel (and it says it is) then most self catering places supply a welcome pack of milk, juice and bread which would have made a huge difference to us at minimal cost. We arrived hot and bothered and had to immediately go to the supermarket in the dust (it's REALLY dusty). Also minimal toiletries means that if you were expecting hotel toiletries you have to go and buy shampoo and conditioner.
We were there at the end of the season and some things were looking tired - broken hammocks by the beach and a less than sparkling pool. However we weren't paying end of season prices!
So we really liked it but it would have been easy to get at least one more star from us with minimal expenditure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning, luxurious private villas, each with an open sky shower, a kitchenette and outdoor sitting area, tucked in a lush tropic garden. Outdoor, beachfront chemical-free swimming pool with lounge chairs and hammocks on the beach, for the utmost relaxing atmosphere and the best sunset view. Restaurant onsite. Centrally located to supermarkets and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Playa Cielo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Cielo Hotel Santa Teresa
- Playa Cielo Costa Rica/Santa Teresa