“Perfection”

Vajra Sol Yoga Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Vajra Sol Yoga Adventures offers private individual or group Yoga classes combined with Surf lessons, Stand Up Paddle (SUP) Yoga tours and beachfront yoga retreats in the idyllic beach town of Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. Plus, upscale yoga, surfing, SUP retreat in Nicaragua. Yoga in Patagonia, Chile and the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, Peru. All levels of experience are welcome. Please visit our website for more information.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have to start off by saying that the previous two reviewers were on the same retreat as me and reading their reviews brought back all the wonderful memories of my week at VajraSol. If you are looking for a week of bliss, a week of adventure, a week to escape, a week to recharge, cleanse, have fun, challenge yourself and practice yoga then VajraSol will not fail you!

I have only extremely positive things to say about my week at VajraSol. I did a tremendous amount of research in order to find the perfect yoga retreat destination and was blown away by all the amazing reviews for VajraSol. A part of me couldn’t believe such a perfect place existed and maybe the expectations were set too high? No…..this retreat FAR exceeded my expectations! Sandra was extremely helpful with all my questions before I booked the retreat. I was very nervous since it was the first time I was traveling to Costa Rica AND the first time I was traveling solo. The flight on the puddle-jumper from San Jose to Tambor is not for the faint of heart, but luckily I had a new retreat friend sitting next to me on the return flight whose hand I could grip!

Once I decided Costa Rica was my destination, I chose VajraSol based on the yoga/surf combination, accommodations, food and the retreat leader. So here’s my reviews on those aspects….

Yoga & Surfing….. The daily afternoon yoga is held in a beautiful outdoor Yoga Shala with the sounds of the ocean and nature all around you. Sandra led the yoga sessions which were inspirational, calming and challenging. I noticed a considerable improvement in my yoga when I got back. There were only 6 of us on the retreat (all solo women travelers!) so the sessions were personalized for us. I loved having the yoga at the end of the day, especially since each session was followed by a beautiful sunset on the beach. The morning surf lessons with Mike and Eric were incredible! Each day we walked 10 minutes down the beach to our surfing spot and had a great time getting up on our boards and conquering the waves. Mike and Eric were very attentive and made us all feel very safe and confident in the water. Whether you’re an expert or have never surfed in your life, you will have a great time!

Accommodations….When I first arrived at Pranamar, I was greeted by the very friendly staff and given a delicious and refreshing drink. I was shown to my beautiful poolside villa that I shared with a fellow retreat member. Everything about the villa was perfect and I especially loved the large private balconies. Pranamar is a heavenly resort on the ocean. The décor and atmosphere are very tranquil and you’re surrounded by nature. I must also add that the ocean-side spa is fabulous for a post-yoga massage or facial!

The food...I still dream about it. We ate every meal together at the Buddha Eyes restaurant at Pranamar except for 2 dinners out in the town and 1 lunch when we were on our own. I liked that every meal was included (except for 1 lunch) upfront. Each meal was incredibly healthy and delicious using all local, fresh ingredients. I especially loved the fresh fruit drinks at every meal. I certainly looked forward to each meal since we had a private table where we all bonded and caught up about each other’s’ activities.

Retreat leader…..Our fearless leader, Sandra is truly inspirational. She’s a very warm, welcoming woman who made the week perfect. She is extremely down to earth and helped us all appreciate where we were, our time off and the beautiful surroundings. There was no stress during the week – she’s very organized and I never had to worry about anything. I loved meeting her and hearing about all her adventures. Living in New York, its very easy to get caught up in work and materialistic things and being around Sandra reminded me that happiness truly comes from being able to step back and appreciate the moment you’re in. I absolutely want to join her on one of her Peru retreats in the future!

This retreat is what you make it. You can certainly have more alone time if you would like or more bonding time with your new retreat friends. I am fortunate to say I left with 6 new true friends and so many wonderful memories. I highly, highly recommend this retreat to anyone looking for an escape and adventure. I can honestly say it was one of the best weeks of my life.

All reviews
"relaxing week"
"amazing peru"
"an adventure"
in 6 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 3 reviews
"amazing trip"
in 3 reviews
"positive energy"
in 4 reviews
"great balance"
"she loves"

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My experience with Varja Sol Yoga adventures exceeded my expectations in every possible way. First, Pranamar is beyond beautiful; it is peaceful and spiritual, built in a Balinese tradition, surrounded by jungle flowers, beautiful birds, fragrant flowers, the sound of the waterfall in the pool, and the surf in the background. My little wooden bungalow had a private outdoor shower, and a big comfy king size bed. Each evening, I would return to my room to find it lit with candles and an inspirational quote on my bed. The yoga studio is also beautiful; large, open air and overlooking the the gardens and pool with a view out to the ocean. The restaurant "Bhudda Eyes" is wonderful, delicious fresh and local foods and fresh smoothies with every meal.
Sandra, the owner of Varja Sol and our yoga teacher made sure that EVERY detail was taken care. Not only is she an intelligent and thoughtful business owner; she is an experienced and excellent yoga teacher, and a truly exceptional person. She responded to every question and every email during the planning stages in a thoughtful and timely manner and became a dear friend during the retreat. I deepened my yoga practice at both a physical and spiritual level. I also loved the surfing!! I was a relative beginner, and our teachers Eric and Mike were lovely, talented, encouraging and fun to be with. By the end of the first day I was getting up on the board consistently and can't wait to get back on a board.
I attended the retreat solo; a time to get away from everything and regroup, and was completely comfortable throughout. It turned out that everyone on this particular retreat came on their own and we all bonded quickly and became fast friends; I will keep in touch with all of these exceptional women!!
I highly recommend Varja Sol and will be back next year!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My review is based upon my experience attending this retreat by myself for my birthday, however as unbelievable as this retreat, resort and experience was I can imagine it would be even more glorious with a friend or a partner, even a group!
Attending this retreat was a vacation, a getaway and a treat to myself. Work and life sometimes become a struggle and the ability to getaway and regroup, reflect and relax is a gift. My goal was to find a vacation that offered me a secure, safe, adventurous but relaxing and upscale getaway. I did a lot of research to find the perfect balance of all these qualities and Vajra Sol and Pranamar offered everything and more.
As a single women traveling alone my main concern was obviously safety and ease of travel and accommodations. Sandra took care of any questions or concerns I had prior to my arrival always answering my emails promptly and ensuring me she was always available to answer any questions via phone or email. She took care of all of the transfers throughout my stay, airport, activity and otherwise. The accommodations at Pranamar are safe and secure, offering safes in each room as well as ample staff always available and around. The staff at Pranamar were some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life and any request or question was taken care of with ease and efficiency. These people are here to please, they love their job and it shows.
Now I love my yoga, I live in LA and my yoga consists of a lot of people and usually loud music. I knew this trip would force me to take it down a notch and chill out, which admittedly was hard to do, but with the calm surroundings and lack of loud music, traffic, tv, cell phones, etc, your forced to chill out and enjoy the slow pace. Yoga in the "Yoga Shala" at Pranamar is something that should be experienced by every yogi. As soon as you set foot into this peaceful, outdoor space a sense of calm washes over you and you truly realize what a special place this is. Having this space is one of Pranamars biggest draws and daily yoga classes provided by the amazing teachers including Sandra are spiritual (many shavasanas ending in tears, but maybe I'm totally emotional and silly, its hard not to appreciate the unbelievable feeling you get from this place). The afternoon yoga classes were the perfect way to end a fun day and prepare for the evening with friends and watching the sunset(which is another spiritual experience in itself).
Now along with obvious ease and safety and relax I wanted to do any and everything Costa Rica had to offer me, I am a very active person and love adventure and outdoor activities. And all of those were at my finger tips. I chose SUP as my activity to accompany my yoga because I am from California and love the ocean but am not a fan of waves and didn't want to spend my days battling with the ocean, instead I got to experience some unbelievable serene marshes and the beauty of the ocean past the waves. Our SUP daily adventures were always epic, Sandra uses (in my mind) the sweetest, coolest and pretty sexy Costa Rican SUPer, Victor from SUP Montezuma. Victor took us to some awesome spots around the Peninsula, he was organized and took care of everything, he always had water and cut up fresh fruit for us after our excursions. Our spots were reached by car rides in Victors 1960's Jeep which was an adventure in itself, and I wouldn't have wanted it another way(bring dramamine if your tummy gets woozy). SUPing is a fantastic total body workout and a great way to enjoy the beauty of the coastline down there, also get a good tan!! Along with SUPing there was zip lining available which I chose to do with some of the girls from our retreat, it was super fun and the company used was accommodating and awesome, all transport was taken care of by the hotel as well as all reservations for activities. Before arriving in Costa Rica I told myself I wanted to do any and everything and Vajra Sol and Pranamar offer you that, but once you get there you realize that maybe squeezing everything in just isn't in the cards and relaxing by the pool, on the beach in the fabulous lounge chairs or checking out the tide pools up and down the three mile stretch of beach are more appealing. Regardless of what you decide to do when you get there, it is all taken care of!!!
So on to the amazingness of Pranamar and the effortlessness of this entire retreat. Like many women I like the comforts of home and the finer things in life. I can rough it but if I have the ability to Glamp id choose that. This retreat and resort offers a little rustic with the perfect amount of luxury. Being greeted with a wonderful smoothy at check in to start, beautiful villas and bungalows with everything a traveler needs to feel comfortable in a foreign and remote country, food to die for at every meal, accommodating and friendly staff, spa amenities and beautiful grounds to roam. The beach will take your breath away every time, the constant change in tides and colour of the sky throughout the day dazzles every time you walk out to it. The turn down service every night accompanied by a saying from Buddha is the perfect thing to end the day, allowing you to reflect on your days activities and the blessings in your life.
I can't forget this review is for Vajra Sol and there are so many words I can use to describe it and MY experience. It was effortless, adventurous, emotional(for my own reasons), and all in all exactly what I was looking for and everything I needed in a retreat and vacation. Sandra is the most loving and caring person I have ever met, she is organized and accommodating, she has a sense of peace about her that is infectious. I feel so blessed to have found this wonderful retreat and getaway in Costa Rica and absolutely plan to return again as well as am looking into Sandra's Peru retreat at the end of this year. I came away from this retreat with 5 new amazing friends(all women and we all came solo which was a first time for Vajra Sol), a sense of peace, adventure and overall calmness.
Whether you are traveling alone or with someone, if you are looking for a getaway of a lifetime I suggest allowing Vajra Sol to take care of you!

VajraSolYoga, Owner at Vajra Sol Yoga Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Lovely Nicole,

Thank you so much for all you shared here. It is with happiness hearing about your positive experience post-retreat. What a gift to give yourself for your birthday! You are such a joy and brought a brightness and warm humor to the group. Coming solo on a retreat can initially be a bit intimidating. The ease in which you came into it is what many other solo retreaters have experienced as well. For those considering coming on their own, I can only imagine your review can be nothing less than inspiring encouragement.

One thing you forgot to mention ; ), the perfect headstand you did on the board during the SUP Yoga session! I love seeing you continue paddling in LA. Enjoy!

In gratitude & peace -

Sandra @Vajra Sol Yoga

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Sandra is wonderful. She put together an amazing week, in a great location, and every person from the resort staff to the surf instructors were top notch. She truly went the extra mile in every way. Even once the retreat was over, she was incredibly helpful in arranging our next steps and being sure everyone was taken care of. During the retreat, people are given the option of SUP, surf or yoga as a "focus" with the option to partake in any of the other activities as well. There was enough variety to keep everyone satisfied, but without any rigidity the schedule. There was also plenty of down time to just chill out. I would definitely recommend this retreat to any of my friends.