“Great place, great restaurant, great vacation!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Teresa
Alma Villa & Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 33 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great place, great restaurant, great vacation!”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed in Alma for two months last year, I can't say anything bad about the place. I had been in Santa Teresa three times before and Alma is by far the best place I've stayed in. Me, my girlfriend and my brother were more than well taken care of by Rodrigo and Marcela (the owners), as soon as we moved in we felt like we were in the family. The house was perfect for the three of us, with a double bed and another bedroom with a singlebed. We loved the kitchen that made it possible for us to cook the nights we didn't go out for dinner. And talking about going out for dinner, Alma has one of the best restaurants in town. A small and cozy restaurant that serves amazing food, cocktails, smoothies, you name it.
Alma has a great location, about 100 meters to the beach, and about the same length to the center of Santa Teresa.
Another thing I need to say about Alma is security! I've not been in a place in Central America that is safer than Alma. Rodrigo and his family are very concerned about the security of their guests, and it pays off. The feeling of having all your stuff in a safe place makes the stay way more relaxed and pleasant.
Last but not least, the service is great. Both Marcela and Rodrigo are always there to help you with everything from booking a fishing-trip, something with the house or if you just want some good tips about Costa rica.
You will not regret your stay in Alma!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at Alma during a surf adventure and it was basically the perfect place to vacation.
I usually surf on the East Coast - on crowded mediocre waves in frigid water, mostly. The waves in Santa Teresa are clean, plentiful, warm, and BIG! And Alma is close enough to everything, but far enough that I really felt like I was on vacation.
As someone who works hard and plays hard, it's hard to find that balance, but Alma has that vibe - cool, relaxed, but it picks up just when you want it to.
It seemed like a million miles away from my company back in the states and for the first time in my life, I really wasn't ready to leave when my vacation was over. Alma had a lot to do with that. The owners not only gave me great advice on the area (eating, drinking, surfing, beaches, and more), I surfed with Rodrigo and had great conversation with him and his wife.
The dome where I stayed had all the little things and conveniences that make a surf trip a breeze - plenty of space, a big comfy bed to crash at night, a beautiful tiled bathroom and a full kitchen. Plus the normal things like a safe, perks like A/C, and little things I don't even expect like a shower to rinse outside, a patio with hammocks and a table where I had many late nights just talking into the night and laughing and drinking Imperial. You forget how many stars there are when you get away from the savage "civilization" of the States. Over the couple weeks I was there, I just unwound so much and adapted to the slower pace. Alma has beautiful plants, and the owners have really worked to make a little hotel that really fits and respects the place and people. They made an effort to have as low an impact as possible on the environment, while maintaining those little luxuries I mentioned. The fruit trees on the property are a feast for the local monkeys in season - there are flowers and hummingbirds just exploding in color.
The attached restaurant was awesome. So, so good.
And maybe best of all - across the street is the public access path to the beach. You just roll out of bed, grab your board and don't even need to put on shoes. Just stumble 50 yards to a great local beach. There is also parking at the beach, but we didn't rent a car, so it was important that we could walk places. From Alma we could get to many many beaches. The Quiksilver Pro championship, in fact, was held just south of Alma. I have been to Santa Teresa several times and tried new places, but when I go back, I'll be staying at Alma from now on. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We were lucky enough to stumble upon the website for Alma Villa and Restaurant. When I saw the domes, I knew we had to stay there, as I have a soft spot for unique design and architecture.
Little did I know, the service and location would be equally stunning. The owners and managers, a Chilean family, built the domes themselves. During our stay we had great conversations with them about how they came to the area and started Alma Restaurant and Villa. They opted out of the rat race and relocated in large part to enjoy the slower pace of life in the tropical paradise of Santa Teresa.
My husband and I had been to Malpais/Santa Teresa before and enjoyed it, but this time we truly didn't want to leave thanks to our amazing stay at Alma.
It is at the north end of Santa Teresa, just across from a couple perfect beach access points. (For surfing, and for just relaxing on the beach.)
The domes themselves all have at least 2 bedrooms (an upstairs romantic loft, and a queen/single bunk in the downstairs bedroom), so they were perfect for our family, or would be great for 1 or 2 couples or even a small group. The domes also have their own kitchenette so even though there is an AMAZING restaurant on the property you also have the freedom to cook if you'd like. We did - just the basics, but it was super handy.
The bathrooms have cool modern tiling that really embody the vibe of Santa Teresa - a little artsy, a little beach.
The design is both beautiful and functional - the owners have an ingenious system to make the domes more eco-friendly so the A/C and electric runs while you are in the dome, but shuts off shortly after you leave with the key-card.
There is a nice little patio with a hammock, an outdoor shower for rinsing off the inevitable sand and mud, and the restaurant is a great place to spend your evenings. Sometimes it is very chill, but sometimes they have special events - when we were there we got to meet a lot of locals at one of their parties.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family