“A little different, but we'd do it again in a heart beat!”

Hostel Seven7 Casa Del Gingi
Kamloops, Canada
“A little different, but we'd do it again in a heart beat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

We read the reviews before staying here, and read some of them now that we have left as well. In a sense they are all accurate, it just depends on the travellers and individual preferences. For us, we were far more enthralled with the amazing vibe here. Laid back to the max without compromising safety, or service. It also had a way of attracting some of the most wonderful travellers we met on our trip. We adjusted to our rooms not being cleaned and serviced every day, no towel service, and at times Gingi was hard to get a hold of. And yes there were some randoms answering the phone on occasion if need be, but that was the charm of the place. Pura vida!! The second Gingi knew you were in need of something, he was very attentive and very helpful. A great guy! Thank you Gingi!

Room Tip: For the cost of two ppl, private rooms are minimally more expensive with many benefits.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seliina S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Pros: Nice big room. Terrace area with table and chairs outside room. Bike hire. Pretty garden with hammocks. Big kitchen. Friendly staff. Gingi, the owner, very helpful.

Cons: Tiny and dirty private bathroom. No towels given. Kitchen although large was extremely poorly equipped, we couldnt even find one bowl. Staff seem to use the hostel as their own house and forget that we are paying customers. They used the reception area as a place to hang out and played very loud and mostly explicit music with lots of swearing at all hours of the day and night. When you just want to chill out and read outside your room, in the garden or even inside your room and all you can hear is Eminem blaring profanities it isn´t really inkeeping with the "chilled out vibe" of Santa Teresa. I had to ask one of them to turn it off while i wanted to skype my parents (the wi-fi is much better outside the rooms than in them) he did turn it off but put it back on very loudly before I had even finished my call! My boyfriend and I came back from the beach one day to find a couple of the guys who work at the hostel sitting at the little table outside our room on top of the clothes we´d put out to dry on our chairs.

Overall a cool place in an awesome surf town, but needs a little tweaking. We really enjoyed our stay all in all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Collingwood, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stay in a clean hostel steps from the beach with the peace of mind that comes with round the clock security. Gingi is always friendly and more than willing to assist in any way that makes for a more pleasant stay. There's a pool table, hammocks, basketball court and you can even take a private (or group) surf lesson with Gingi. Will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Way more than I was expecting - this place has all you need. Such a short walk to the beach, and the best restaurants! Place was clean with beautiful lush courtyard in front with hammocks set up. Gingi was always around to help us find everything we were looking for in town and also gave us private surf lessons. All our neighbors were super friendly and we will definitely be recommending to friends :)

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Jacq-raw-
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I spent more then two weeks at hostel 7 (casa de gingi).
the place is clean, there are rooms with ac and private shower and for the traveler who travel
by the budget they have dorm rooms (also with AC).
there is a kitchen (fully equipped) for the use of all the guests.
I must say that the kitchen was very clean (unlike one review I read here) and there is a cleaning lady that cleans it more than once a day.

if you are a traveler that wants to sleep in a private house outside the hostel, you should talk to gingi (the owner and manger of the hostel), he will be happy to help and take you to see some places.

other than that, I took some surfing lessons with gingi that where really helpful and got me surfing in no time.

important! this is the only hostel that I've seen in all of Costa Rica that has a guard every night, it gave me a very secure feeling while I was in the hostel or out in the village.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Hostel7 was the first hostel I stayed at while in Costa Rica, and I had such a great time that I came back two weeks later with friends (who also loved it). Great vibes and location right next to the beach and sweet surf spots, close to grocery store and restaurants, and a quick bike ride to Mal Pais where you can score some amazing fresh fish (or even catch it yourself). Bikes for rent, pool table and basketball hoop are fun, hammocks are relaxing, rooms are nice, and the owner and staff are super friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable. I met so many cool people and had such a good time here, would love to go back again! ¡Mil gracias por todo, y nos vemos!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hostel 7 was great, laid back, great kitchen with everything you need in it, hammocks,a pool table, surf rental nearby, option of surf lessons, right by a grocery store (with liquor) and staff were really knowledgeable about surf spots, restaurants and all the rest you'll need to know. The place has a lot of character to it too. I read a few reviews that complained about the bathrooms not being clean but they were fine. I travel alone and I met a lot of fun people there.
There is a quiet hour that starts at 11 which is good for surfers or travelers wanting to wake up early. For those of you who want to party longer, the beach is close!
A few downsides: although the rooms have locks, there are no lockers if you are staying a dorm with people you don't know, and there are fans but no air conditioning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo