“Kind instructor, fun time!”
Review of Nalu

Nalu
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Nalu Surf School & Shop offers professional surf lessons 1, 3 & 5 day courses for all ages. New and used boards for sale. Ding repair, surf tours by land and boat, surf clothing and accessories. With 12 years experience in the area and 29 years surfing experience we will help you with all your surfing needs during your visit.
New York City, New York
“Kind instructor, fun time!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My fiancé and I took three lessons with Ben in mid-December and we had a total blast. Ben was extremely patient with us, kind, genuine, and a great teacher. I learned a tremendous amount and even ended up catching my own waves by the end. We went on to put our new skills to use in Manuel Antonio and we were able to have fun on our own after Ben taught us the basics. Everyone in Ben's shop was nice and helpful and we recommend Nalu without any reservation. This was a terrific value.

CHARLESTON
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What a blast!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Had Mauricio take us out for a lesson. Took his time to get us right and had a great time trying to get it right! Lots of fun.

Sacramento, California
“Pura Vida Ben!!!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My family and I have been visiting Malpais for years. Nalu is the best place to rent surf boards, boogie boards and more! Ben, the owner and surf instructor, is the best instructor my son (10yo) has ever had. My son rides the outer break with us but can be impatient. Ben has such a peaceful instructing style and is very present with the kids so they like to "hang" with him. Ben helped my son become a competent duck diver and witnessed his first tube! I have taken lessons from Ben to improve my duck dives and just get pointers to improve my surfing. Nalu is so accommodating with switching boards up, especially with our long term rentals. The boards are kept in great shape. Everybody who works at Nalu is friendly and ready to help in anyway they can. I highly recommend Nalu to everyone I meet going to Santa Teresa/Malpais/Playa Carmen area.
Thank for another amazing year Ben! We miss you already!
Until next year….. Pura Vida.

Visited November 2013
Vancouver
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Outstanding advice & service!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Ben and Co. were very helpful & friendly, with excellent service and good equipment. Very knowledgable about the area and ready to help all levels of surfing ability. Highly recommended.

Hendersonville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pura Vida! Surfing was awesome!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I were staying on Nicoya Peninsula during a vacation in different areas of Costa Rica. He has always wanted to surf in Costa Rica, so we decided to incorporate it into our trip. Nalu was recommended to us by our hotel, and we are sure glad it was! The road to Nalu is a little bumpy, but it made it even MORE of an adventure! And it was well worth the short drive.

I was not even planning on surfing, but I am so glad that I tried it! Ben was super helpful and encouraging. Despite the fact that I kept falling off, he was so patient and really tried to direct me in how to improve. And I did stand up a few times, which I think is "success" for your first time.

If you are in the area, definitely visit Ben at Nalu. Have a blast surfing!!

Visited October 2013