Florblanca Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Red Palm Villas(Santa Teresa)
View Hotel
Blue Surf Sanctuary(Santa Teresa)
View Hotel
Surf Vista Villas(Santa Teresa)
Manala Hotel(Santa Teresa)
Wave Trotter(Santa Teresa)
View Hotel
Rumbo Surf Lodge(Santa Teresa)
View Hotel
All reviewssurf houseflor blancaopen airnectar restauranthorseback ridingcosta ricaliving roomsushihowler monkeyscoconut crabyoga and pilatesother restaurants in the areacouples massagecanopy bedwalk minutesspa treatmentsthe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I was looking for a relaxing place where I wouldn't be bothered by anyone... The Florblanca delivered! The villas were truly secluded and incredible. The hotel staff was very friendly and made each of my requests happen.
Positives: Amazing sunsets on the beach attached to Florblanca, friendly and accommodating staff, beautiful resort grounds, great pool area, large open villas.
Negatives: Shouldn't count on having internet or cell phone access (but you're on vacation, why would you need it?), since the villas are open you have to expect that you might run across some bugs or animals. I don't mind those things, but I know some people do.
I was there in January and the weather was perfect. I plan on making another trip back sometime!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2007

My wife and I just spent 5 fantastic days at Flor Blanca. Our room, a
1 bdrm garden view, was amazing. Much larger than our NY apartment, very quiet and beautifully appointed with air conditioning and ample lighting in the bedroom, an incredible outdoor shower/bath, and a huge open-air living room. We had the opportunity to switch to an ocean view room but liked the garden view so much that we stayed. FYI it was very quiet but may have been different if we'd had a room further back near the road/parking area.

We found the staff to be professional, courteous, friendly and responsive. The concierge team was very helpful in scheduling everything from our return to San Jose to various activities in a timely and efficient manner, the food and drink service was excellent as well. I've read the reviews complaining about the service and perhaps they forgot they were at a beach resort where everything is supposed to be a bit more relaxed?

Activities: There is a terrific yoga studio that overlooks the beach and the instructor, Nancy, was terrific. The classes are as challenging as you need them to be. Surfing lessons were great and we'd definitely recommend the afternoon/sunset horseback riding at hacienda del arroyo about 15 minutes up the road. Fantastic views, great guides and very healthy horses. Snorkeling at low tide at Playa Sueco was great, Snorkeling off the beaches here is a little strange b/c it's done in tide pools where you're rarely in more than 5 ft of water. The visability isn't great and it feels a bit silly but there are some very cool things to see.

Overall, the best activities here are relaxing, enjoying the beach, having drinks at sunset taking in the amazing views, etc.

Getting there--we flew to Tambor and rented a car there. The drive to Flor Blanca was about 45 min. The Budget rental folks were very helpful. They picked us up at the airport and the car was clean and ready. In driving the rough roads in the Nicoya, a stabilization bar near the rear axle broke but they replaced the car (picking up the old and dropping off the new) at our hotel within an hour or two of notice. Incredible service. Driving the roads around here is a lot of fun and they're generally better than the Osa peninsula. If you get a chance to drive the road from Mal Pais over to Cabuya, do it if you have 4x4. It is absolutely the roughest road we've ever driven
(in a bad rain it'd be impassible) but the scenery is stunnning.
Worth it if you're confident in your vehicle.

Montezuma: We didn't think much of the waterfalls near Montezuma, but there are fantastic beaches and swimming opportunities on the way
to the falls about 5km south of town (about 40 minute hike beyond
yling yling resort).

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WorkHardPlayHardNY
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Florblanca was recommended by a close friend who spent her honeymoon there a few years ago. I was a little nervous, having read a recent review here that was mediocre, but booked it on my friend's strong recommendation.

I couldn't be happier. First of all, the staff was incredibly helpful in arranging flights from San Jose to Tambor, and then ground transportation from there - seamless.

The villas are huge, apparently recently remodeled to have outdoor baths and very modern. We had some industrious termites trying to build something in ours, but they weren't a problem and we alerted the staff who promptly took care of them. But what really blew me away was the food - I have no idea how they managed to get a NYC caliber chef down there - but the menu looked like something out of a restaurant here in the city.

The front office was particularly helpful in setting up activities. I'd recommend the canopy tour (ziplining around the forest, and swimming in waterfalls) as well as the horseback riding on the beach. The beach and scenery are top notch.

I don't have any real complaints. The only thing I'd say is that you get what you pay for -- Florblanca is not cheap. At all. But it was definitely worth it. I'll be going back again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank McQuade88
Reviewed 27 March 2007

We recently stayed in a beautiful oceanview suite at Florblanca...can't say enough about how impressed we were with our villa - two bedrooms - two full baths (the main one was a huge open air affair), lovely sitting area with an open balcony.
The grounds were very nicely kept, the pool was beautiful.
Swimming was not possible right in front of the hotel, but a ten minute walk took you to a very nice beach, great for boogie boarding and surfing.

On the down side we found the dinner service at the restaurant to be some of the worst service we have ever received in our travels. Some of the staff were trying to do their absolute best, while others just stood around talking. The meals were hit and miss, and very pricey for Costa Rica.

In general., we found that there was quite a range in the attitude of the employees. Some were very warm and friendly, in particular the Costa Rican staff, while others were cool and apathetic, particularly when management was not around. Although our initial impression was very positive, by the time our stay was over we had decided this would not be on our list of places to which we would return.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank 16canuck
Reviewed 2 March 2007

My wife and I stayed here for the first 3 days of our honeymoon back in September of 2006. Let me start off by saying, this resort was perfect for us!
We arrived kind of late, not knowing it would take so long to drive from San Jose (I don't recommend doing that unless you have 6 hours to kill) and by the time we arrived the front desk had closed. We pulled up, and there was a gaurd outside in the parking lot. He helped us unpack our car, but unfortunately he didn't speak much english. We didn't know at the time that the front desk was closed, and we thought that's where he was leading us. When we walked in a beautiful open air lobby, we realized it was actually the living room to our room! The staff had written us a note and neatly placed it on our bed welcoming us, and it mentioned the restaurant had closed but they had left a full complimentary sushi dinner in our fridge. Plates and a sushi set was already on one of the tables in our living room. My wife and I eat sushi about twice a week, and this sushi was delicious!
Being the off season, we pretty much had the entire resort to ourselves, in fact there was only one other couple there! It was a truly sureal experience... To be honest, even though it was supposed to be the rainy season, it didn't rain on us at all! Not even once! The locals actually commented that the rain wasn't normal, so I'm not saying if you go during rainy season you won't get rained on...we just lucked out I guess.
We really just enjoyed the seclusion and attention to detail that the hotel provided why we were their guests. I would go back in a heartbeat...
They helped make our honeymoon absolutely incredible.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple