“the best in Santa teresa”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Raratonga

Hotel Raratonga
Ranked #7 of 33 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
san clemente
“the best in Santa teresa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2009

more noisy then Ny I don't think so!!!!!!
Is very quiet end the owner are lovley nice peaplo.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
U.S.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

This hotel, while appearing to have nice rooms in the photos, is a dump. The walls are paper thin and you can literally see through the cracks so not only can you hear your neighbors, you can watch them as well. Furthermore, the hotel is surrounded by rooster farms, the inhabitants of which begin "roosting" when the sun goes down rather when it comes up and continue to do so until the sun comes up, at which point they calm down. Perfect for that NOCTURNAL getaway! Once I finally came to my senses and discussed this with the owner she was nothing shy of argumentative and obnoxious and refused to refund any of the pre-paid expenses I had given her which sounds like it's a common scenario for her based on the other reviews. Basically, this hotel thrives on collecting payment in advance for pathetic accommodations and refusing to give any refunds even though the rooms are a joke. DO NOT STAY HERE. There are a million options in Santa Teresa-Mal Pais and this is among the WORST. By the way, I'm a 30 year old surfing, partying guy with a lot of patience and tolerance so when I say it's a disaster to stay here, I mean it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dudeintheknow
Denver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

I wish I did not reserve three nights stay at this hotel. The photos do reflect what the hotel looks like, but what they don't share in the photos is all the noises around this hotel. I believe every rooster in Santa Teresa lives outside of this hotel. Now a rooster off in the distance heard now and again is one thing, But multiple roosters cocka doo dilling all night long to one another is intolerable. I had ear plugs in as well and couldn't sleep. The other issue I had was the noise level between the rooms. There are visible cracks between the wood which allow the light and noise from the room next door to be seen/heard. I know this is Costa Rica and not New York, as the owner so eloquently pointed out, but it might as well be NY with all the noise one has to listen to all night long in NY. My main problem is the way the owner dealt with my complaint. She told me that she turned other travellers away from the hotel and I'd have to pay for the 2nd night I had booked. I had booked 3 nights total. I think this is totally unfair, I saw an empty room under mine and was offered that room when I explained I could hear my neighbors, even when they were talking softly. I also had left some belongings behind and was told for days that they didn't have them, until the last day I went back and they were miraculously found. It felt like my things were being held hostage in order to punish me. I have to say that if you drive down the street and listen you can't hear roosters. They aren't everywhere like Aleesia says they are. Te next hostel we chose was $5 more. Howler monkeys are a unique noise to wake up to, roosters are all over the world. I'm going to not recommend this hotel for anyone that is a light sleeper. If you can sleep with noise, it was nice.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Raratonga, owner at Hotel Raratonga, responded to this review, 15 July 2009
We are sorry if those people didn´t have a good time,but there are some things we would like to say in our defense.
As for the roosters,we are sorry but this is Costa Rica and Santa Teresa,and as stated also from some people who wrote another review here,there are roosters and chickens all over the places.This is part of the Costarican culture and in our opinion also part of the natural beauty of this place.Costa rican day starts at 5 am and by 5pm the sky is already dark.Roosters sing at sunrise just like in every place of the world,and we do understand that there are some people who are not used to it,just like they are not used to live in a so natural and wild place.I thought people came to Costa Rica to see and live something different from their native place,and they shoud not make a scandal for some roosters singing or monkeys howling.I would understand If i had some construction noise nearby, but we are talking about natural noises.

We do apologize though for the problem with what they call a ¨crack in the wall¨,which was actually a wooden panel wich separated from the other.But for this reason they have been offered to upgrade to a fully equipped kitchen apartment for 4 persons,just for free for the rest of their stay,so that we had also time to solve the problem with the wooden panel,but they refused.They had been charged for the second night ( out f 3 nights reservation) because they actually told me right after the check out time even though we had seen and talk to each other at 8 am while they were going to have breakfast(in which occasion they said nothing about those things to me!)

As for the ring,well they left the ring apparently on the sink of the bathroom,even though they had a safety box in the room(free to use!) to put their values.If they had used the safety box this wouldn´t have happend since i personally ask every customer if they took everything out of the box before they live, just like I did with them.What happened is that by an unfortunate coincidence the maid who cleaned that room was off the next day,and when she came back the following one she showed where she had put the ring in our laundry room apologizing for forgetting to tell me.So I called the people where they where staying and gave them the ring back.I was not really happy with the maid behaviour nand i told her ,but this could happen to anyone,to forget something.

I reccomend people to also read all the other good reviews we have,for which there cannot possibly be a so huge difference in what they say about us.We always try to adjust in any possible way to our customers,but we cannot kill the roosters,it would be a horrile and unjustified thing to do to the people of Santa Teresa. Also I would like people to take note that Raratonga has a very good occupation during all the year around and we have customers coming back every year, families,couples and group of friends,and if they come back is because they had a good time ;and that often people who unfortuntely had a bad experience (well I guess we cannot satisfy everyone at 100% as much as we try!) are the ones that are more animated to write to harm ,in such way ,our business.
Thanks for the time of reading our response.
brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

We stayed at Raratonga over Xmas and new year 08 and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Alessia and Stefano are a charming couple that make you feel really welcome and are very helpful. The hotel offers great value, the rooms were clean, well equipped and the entrance to one of the best surf spots on santa teresa beach is under 5 mins walk away. There are some fantastic restaurants within a few minutes walk like Kiki and Milo melo and if you want to head to the noisier playa carmen end of santa teresa its about a 25 minute walk so easy to get too but is not on top of it so you get some peace too!!
Fantastic hotel, would recommend to anyone!!

• Liked — uniqueness, friendly staff, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
new york, new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

I have to say that now it has almost been one year since we last visited Santa Teresa and stayed at Rarotonga, we are very excited to be planning our next trip. In terms of what someone said about the noise...this is Costa Rica...there are chickens running around the yards and monkeys in the trees. This is expected--especially when staying in a place that is surrounded by trees and nature and is one of the more remote areas in CR. But unless you are particularly sensitive to noise...you will sleep amazingly...especially after the entire day you spend surfing, on the beach, in the sun, exploring. We loved Alessia and Stefan and the dogs and the beautiful Swiss Family Robinson hotel rooms. They were by far, the most helpful and kind people we have encountered in terms of hotels. We said we would come back and we are. See you soon...!

Christie and Matt

Stayed January 2008
Chicago IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

I found Hotel Raratonga thru this website and was very skeptical because of the first review. After looking around i decide to contact the owner, Alessia, about reservations in the apartment for one week. Alessia was more than willing to help me out in any way and went beyond the standard hotel owner and offered to set up any trips, cabs, reservations i needed. Upon arrival at a late 1230am bus ride alessia lead us back to our apartment. The small privately owned apartments 3 or four in total and some of the most beautiful landscape i have seen which surprised me because it was privately owned. The rooms are located directly across from the beach in a nice secluded lot in the back. On our first entrance into the room we were totally blown away by the all wooden apartment. Had one queen in one room and then two twin beds in the main room. Ac worked great and fans in both room. The mattress were a 7.0/10 ... a little hard but if thats how you like it then they were perfect. The apartment had a full kitchen, sink, fridge, plates,pots, and all the comforts of home. Bathroom was great. Great tile, shower head was overhead much like a rain fall. Terrific laid back feel. The porch was huge and spent many nights relaxing listening to the birds monkeys and surrounding wildlife. The apartment is right across the beach, you can either go to the left or the right and it is a short 3 min walk to a great beach. To the right about 2 min walk is the gorcery store where you could whip up some dinner in your room. To the left or south is great restaurants! Board rentals run ten bucks a day , dinner ranges from 10-12 and it is some of the freshest seafood you will have. ATVs 50. They also have many other day trips in the surrounding village. If you need any more information feel free to contact me. Finally alessia and stefan run a wonderful establishment and is truly a nice little kept secret with luxurious accommodations. As for the first person who wrote all those nasties things, all those are false, you are going to a very remote part of the world to experience paradise in its puriest forms, if holler monkeys, dust from dirt road, and sunburn are going to bother you then i would recommend vacationing in an igloo in alaska. ;) Thanks for your wonderful hospitallity Alessia!

• Liked — CLEAN GARDENS! LOCATION ON BEACH! LAID BACK FEEL! OWNERS
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Eurozone
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

Booked 2 nights here (on the basis of one suspiciously good TripAdvisor review...) as part of a 2 week circuit of Costa Rica by hire car. Indeed the owners give a nice welcome and the wooden accommodation is clean inside. However, we did not sleep due to all night fighting dogs, quad-bikes passing, cockerels that cock-a-doodle-doo'd from 1am, plus we could hear every word the guests in the next room were saying due to the paper-thin wood partition, and the killer, next-door's howler monkey really going for it. Awful, plus everything was permanently dust-coated due to the proximity to the dirt road (not the beach side...)
We made the mistake of paying the 2 nights up-front ($70). When we emerged red-eyed and nauseous with insomnia to recount the first night to our host, we were told that everywhere in Costa Rica is this noisy and to chill out and enjoy the nature... and no refund, not even for the second night (which of course we did not spend here). We subsequently spent 12 extremely peaceful nights in various CR hotels.
Anyway, dear owners, we hope you put our $35 to good use.... Maybe an investment in earplugs for future unfortunate guests?

• Liked — Cheap for Costa Rica, but as I have learned with age, you usually get what you pay for
  • Disliked — So so noisy
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PerfectReefBreak
Raratonga, owner at Hotel Raratonga, responded to this review, 31 May 2008
We are terribly sorry to hear such things about us and certainly we do not recognize in such description, as many of our customers well know.And we are really disappointed to see that the huge effort we put in our job is being destroyed like that.
Hotel Raratonga is choosen often for being such a quite place in one of the quietest and most virgin area of Santa Teresa and certainly it is the most common caracteristic which is highlighted from our customer
I thought that people used to come to Costa Rica also to see and indeed hear Howlers monkeys and "noises" of natural life around.In this case the "next door howler monkey" was at a distance of 200 mts,since we do not have any tree suitable for them in our property,so they are not next door,but for some reason they are called Howlers.
Monkeys that morning were particularly excited because we had our first rain of the season and i well explained it to those people,which at the beginning addressed to the monkeys as pigs...they really thought they were pigs...no idea of what a howler monkey was and not even interested in go and see a real one when i showed them where they were.
As for the dust...At the beginning of the review this person appointed that indeed the room was nice and clean,and then he contradicted himself saying that everything was dust coated all the time.Rooms cannot possibly be dusty since are provided with A/C and windows,which we always keep shut.
Dust in outside area cannot really be our fault.In Santa Teresa we have a not paved road and all the town is putting an extreme effort to make it paved for next year.But really this is Costa Rica...I find it really mean from this people to address us for the dust caused by the dirty road.
Most of people come to Costa Rica to find a still virgin place,one of the few left in the world.And part of all his attractive is due to all these "inconvenients" that these people really disliked.We are really proud of thisn place as it is,we absolutely do not want to be another Cancun.
Finally this people only wanted to leave the place and our policy, which is well shown in the reception, is that we do not refund nights that have been reserved.Being a really small hotel(only 6 units) we have to decline reservations from other people in order to keep the ones that customers want to reserve.These people have been really upset when I told them that a refund would not be possible,so here comes the bad review of course.
The last thing is that he said that you pay what you get...He actually did not:Rooms have A/C,ceiling fans,minibar,coffemaker,orthopeadic mattress,sheets and towels,private bathroom with hot water and daily cleaning.
All this for $35 per night per 2 persons in this season.I challenge anyone to find a better price for all this.Certainly if he thought that he would be staying in a wonderfull resort he wouldn't had to expect to pay $35 per night.
I really hope the redaction could publish my response to this review.It is really important to us to stand for our hard work.
Best Regards