“A Flawless, Beuatiful, and Warm-Hearted Visit”
Review of Hotel Raratonga

Hotel Raratonga
Ranked #9 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2009

My fiancee and I just spent a week at Raratonga on our first real vacation together. And we could not have been HAPPIER with the entire experience. From Alessia's welcome upon our rather late in the evening arrival, to the comfortable, charming, and unique accommodations- everything was perfect (even the rates!!) We truly felt like we were welcomed into the little Raratonga family. We made friends with the other guests, hosted little dinner parties on our private balcony, and simply enjoyed every single moment in comfort and tranquility. We have already recommended Rartonga to several friends, and will return ourselves, possibly as soon as our honeymoon next year!!

Many thanks to Alessia, Stefano, and the rest of the Rartonga family!

Simon and Alexandra

There are newer reviews for Hotel Raratonga

Reviewed 29 November 2009

Awsome, would definitaly recommend Hotel Raratonga!!! Came down for a surf vacation for 2 weeks and originally just booked the first week ( in case we didn't like the hotel or found a better place) but ended up staying here for the whole time. Good location-a quick walk to the beach,grocery store, and resturaunts, but on the outskirts of town so it seemed less crowded and quieter. The trees and plants surrounding the hotel makes you feel like your right in the middle of the jungle and we watched monkeys and other wildlife right from our porch. The owners/managers Stephano and Allessia were very friendly and helpful and we'll definitaly try to make it back someday. 5 stars

Reviewed 15 April 2009

more noisy then Ny I don't think so!!!!!!
Is very quiet end the owner are lovley nice peaplo.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2009

This hotel, while appearing to have nice rooms in the photos, is a dump. The walls are paper thin and you can literally see through the cracks so not only can you hear your neighbors, you can watch them as well. Furthermore, the hotel is surrounded by rooster farms, the inhabitants of which begin "roosting" when the sun goes down rather when it comes up and continue to do so until the sun comes up, at which point they calm down. Perfect for that NOCTURNAL getaway! Once I finally came to my senses and discussed this with the owner she was nothing shy of argumentative and obnoxious and refused to refund any of the pre-paid expenses I had given her which sounds like it's a common scenario for her based on the other reviews. Basically, this hotel thrives on collecting payment in advance for pathetic accommodations and refusing to give any refunds even though the rooms are a joke. DO NOT STAY HERE. There are a million options in Santa Teresa-Mal Pais and this is among the WORST. By the way, I'm a 30 year old surfing, partying guy with a lot of patience and tolerance so when I say it's a disaster to stay here, I mean it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dudeintheknow
Reviewed 7 April 2009

I wish I did not reserve three nights stay at this hotel. The photos do reflect what the hotel looks like, but what they don't share in the photos is all the noises around this hotel. I believe every rooster in Santa Teresa lives outside of this hotel. Now a rooster off in the distance heard now and again is one thing, But multiple roosters cocka doo dilling all night long to one another is intolerable. I had ear plugs in as well and couldn't sleep. The other issue I had was the noise level between the rooms. There are visible cracks between the wood which allow the light and noise from the room next door to be seen/heard. I know this is Costa Rica and not New York, as the owner so eloquently pointed out, but it might as well be NY with all the noise one has to listen to all night long in NY. My main problem is the way the owner dealt with my complaint. She told me that she turned other travellers away from the hotel and I'd have to pay for the 2nd night I had booked. I had booked 3 nights total. I think this is totally unfair, I saw an empty room under mine and was offered that room when I explained I could hear my neighbors, even when they were talking softly. I also had left some belongings behind and was told for days that they didn't have them, until the last day I went back and they were miraculously found. It felt like my things were being held hostage in order to punish me. I have to say that if you drive down the street and listen you can't hear roosters. They aren't everywhere like Aleesia says they are. Te next hostel we chose was $5 more. Howler monkeys are a unique noise to wake up to, roosters are all over the world. I'm going to not recommend this hotel for anyone that is a light sleeper. If you can sleep with noise, it was nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Raratonga, owner at Hotel Raratonga, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2009

We are sorry if those people didn´t have a good time,but there are some things we would like to say in our defense.
As for the roosters,we are sorry but this is Costa Rica and Santa Teresa,and as stated also from some people who wrote another review here,there are roosters and chickens all over the places.This is part of the Costarican culture and in our opinion also part of the natural beauty of this place.Costa rican day starts at 5 am and by 5pm the sky is already dark.Roosters sing at sunrise just like in every place of the world,and we do understand that there are some people who are not used to it,just like they are not used to live in a so natural and wild place.I thought people came to Costa Rica to see and live something different from their native place,and they shoud not make a scandal for some roosters singing or monkeys howling.I would understand If i had some construction noise nearby, but we are talking about natural noises.

We do apologize though for the problem with what they call a ¨crack in the wall¨,which was actually a wooden panel wich separated from the other.But for this reason they have been offered to upgrade to a fully equipped kitchen apartment for 4 persons,just for free for the rest of their stay,so that we had also time to solve the problem with the wooden panel,but they refused.They had been charged for the second night ( out f 3 nights reservation) because they actually told me right after the check out time even though we had seen and talk to each other at 8 am while they were going to have breakfast(in which occasion they said nothing about those things to me!)

As for the ring,well they left the ring apparently on the sink of the bathroom,even though they had a safety box in the room(free to use!) to put their values.If they had used the safety box this wouldn´t have happend since i personally ask every customer if they took everything out of the box before they live, just like I did with them.What happened is that by an unfortunate coincidence the maid who cleaned that room was off the next day,and when she came back the following one she showed where she had put the ring in our laundry room apologizing for forgetting to tell me.So I called the people where they where staying and gave them the ring back.I was not really happy with the maid behaviour nand i told her ,but this could happen to anyone,to forget something.

I reccomend people to also read all the other good reviews we have,for which there cannot possibly be a so huge difference in what they say about us.We always try to adjust in any possible way to our customers,but we cannot kill the roosters,it would be a horrile and unjustified thing to do to the people of Santa Teresa. Also I would like people to take note that Raratonga has a very good occupation during all the year around and we have customers coming back every year, families,couples and group of friends,and if they come back is because they had a good time ;and that often people who unfortuntely had a bad experience (well I guess we cannot satisfy everyone at 100% as much as we try!) are the ones that are more animated to write to harm ,in such way ,our business.
Thanks for the time of reading our response.

Reviewed 21 January 2009

We stayed at Raratonga over Xmas and new year 08 and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Alessia and Stefano are a charming couple that make you feel really welcome and are very helpful. The hotel offers great value, the rooms were clean, well equipped and the entrance to one of the best surf spots on santa teresa beach is under 5 mins walk away. There are some fantastic restaurants within a few minutes walk like Kiki and Milo melo and if you want to head to the noisier playa carmen end of santa teresa its about a 25 minute walk so easy to get too but is not on top of it so you get some peace too!!
Fantastic hotel, would recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I have to say that now it has almost been one year since we last visited Santa Teresa and stayed at Rarotonga, we are very excited to be planning our next trip. In terms of what someone said about the noise...this is Costa Rica...there are chickens running around the yards and monkeys in the trees. This is expected--especially when staying in a place that is surrounded by trees and nature and is one of the more remote areas in CR. But unless you are particularly sensitive to noise...you will sleep amazingly...especially after the entire day you spend surfing, on the beach, in the sun, exploring. We loved Alessia and Stefan and the dogs and the beautiful Swiss Family Robinson hotel rooms. They were by far, the most helpful and kind people we have encountered in terms of hotels. We said we would come back and we are. See you soon...!

Christie and Matt