“not what we expected”

Tranquilo Backpackers
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I thought we booked a room with a private bath. There is no such thing here! My girlfriend was pretty agitated as this was her first time traveling and she is very bathroom shy. I'm glad we only stayed here for one night.

It was nice to relax on the hammocks.

breakfast service is pretty much DIY. which is nice, but no one explained that to us, so we ask some stupid questions. And we were asked by other guests too, whom didn't get the memo either. I kind of liked not being waited on though. Pancakes and coffee, not bad at all.

Overall shabby place, but the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We went to Santa Teresa last minute, and stayed at Tranquilo Backpackers because Lonely Planet recommended it. At first glance, it seemed very relaxed and the hammocks were a nice touch.

However, we stayed in a mixed dorm, and it was so old and dirty, along with HOT without circulation, that we knew we would have an awful night's sleep. It isn't so much a party hostel as just a loud setting--no windows, and all the rooms are very close together. Not only could we not sleep...we woke up in the middle of the night with BED BUGS BITING US. I believe mine were in my pillow, as all of my bites were on my face. Don't stay here if you can avoid it.

Also, the guy at the front desk was SO chill, that he talked so slow and did not care about anything, nor was he helpful. He was German, along with the other people who work there, so they aren't locals nor speak fluent Spanish.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The good: plenty of hammocks, chill vibe, one of the best equipped and largest kitchens you'll find at a hostel, great location.

The bad: old, this pillows and mattresses, had to request a fan, not the cleanest bathrooms, and very poor security.

The windows to the room only have artistic bars, no screens. We were robbed, apparently by someone using a stick with a hook on it, pulling what they could reach across the bed (our items were placed on the opposite end of the bed from the window) and taking it out of the window. We found this when we came home late at night, called for security and when we said we'd been robbed he just said "I don't understand". Then the owner showed up and said "No one has been in your room, the door wasn't forcibly opened. People use sticks for 'fishing' meaning pulling things to the window, have you not heard of this?" Well, not until then. He went on to say we should have put our things even further from the window or used the safe. He also asked a lot of questions saying the more information we gave him, he may be able to retrieve some of the things as he had been able to "some of the previous times this happened"...ok, no mention of the safe, the robberies, or the fishing strategy when we checked in, which would have saved a lot of money and a laptop.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs so you (hopefully) won't have to worry about "fishing" through the win...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil V
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The outside and kitchen facilities are good, it's a party hostel and considering that there is no windows in the room, just big holes you could be bothered by the noise! The room was the worst I've stayed in Costa Rica mainly because it is kind dirty and the pillows and mattresses are mold so the smell was terrible! The bathroom is not very clean and is old but was acceptable!
There are many others places in santa teresa where you can stay for about the same prices with a much better value!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This place is great. I have stayed here twice. Lots of surfers, good vibe, great open kitchen, free breakfast, so many nice social areas, hammocks, love the layout. They have 3 free computers with internet in air conditioning! It's great. I always meet great people when I stay there. It's right next to the supermarket, and a block from the beach.

Room Tip: Pay a little more to stay with less people.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We walked into the Santa Teresa location in desperate need of a place to stay. Tranquilo had a room with a set of bunk beds and a full size bed for me, my girlfriend, and 2 Swedes that joined us in our travels back in Montezuma....it was a perfect room, and a great price. We didn't have our own bathroom but the shared bathroom is clean and has floor to ceiling doors on all shower and toilet stalls. The porch was awesome with a hammock for each room and a table and chairs. The location is a good one, the grounds are secure with reception and/or security at all hours. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2012

If you are into surfing, live an active lifestyle, and enjoy other people who do too...STAY HERE. This is a small surfer town built for just that. It is literally across the street from the beach. It has a great balance of party, fun, and active living. If you like to sleep until the afternoon this is not the place for you. Everyone here is up at 6-8am because thats when the sun comes up and thats when the day begins and people are ready to surf. There is a complimentary breakfast every morning of coffee and fresh pancakes. If you are like me this can get boring after a week or so....buy some bananas and fruit to liven it up.

There is a pool table, ping pong table, and the biggest kitchen I have ever seen in a hostel. There is a great social area which forces you to make friends with people from all over the world. It has a great vibe and good atmosphere. People chill out at the hostel or if your feeling a party there are lots of bars around but don't worry it's not too loud if you want to sleep in your room.

The surf is consistant but a little busy during sunset. Watch out for amazing surfers there are lots of them.

Overall this place was great I have nothing bad to say. Restaurants are really good and there is a great FRESH FISH Market on the corner of the street so you will never run out of good food to eat. Overall this place was great we stayed here for a week out of our 3 week trip during xmas and New Years and I would come back and stay in this one hostel next time for my entire trip. <3

Room Tip: Private Rooms have a sink or a seperate shower, the top rooms are quieter but the bottom rooms are m...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple