“Keep the funk alive!”

Funky Monkey Lodge
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
“Keep the funk alive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

The Funky Monkey certainly walks its own path in a world of travel. The lodge is situated up a small knoll and surrounded by trees and foliage. Upon entering, you feel like you are entering a small, tidy jungle encampment. If you are seeking luxury or conventionality, then the Monkey might not be for you.

We stayed in a private bungalow for $ 60 per night. The bungalow was crafted from rich teak wood, had clean tile floors, and the back of the bungalow opened to a covered, tiled back porch, complete with teak chairs, a crafted table and a hammock. A great spot to read, smoke, or simply take a moment.

The bungalow did not feature comfort items like a percolator, television or the like. To lack such items was a struggle during times of inclement weather. We were there during rainy season, and at one point the rain fell for 48 hours, leaving us a bit stir crazy. However, during positive weather, such comfort items are not needed. The bungalow is a super cool place to hang your clothes, take a nap or simply enjoy the atmosphere.

While the Funky Monkey does not provide mints, free breakfast nor an austere lobby or reception area, it does provide a truly friendly and welcoming, social lodge environment. Monkey staff are just as likely to join you in watching a football match or have a chat as they are to serve you a drink or evening meal. For example, during a particularly rainy afternoon. The entire staff, guests and employees of nearby lodges all gathered in the communal area to watch a Gold Cup match between Argentina and Uruguay. We all hung out like friends, and it was a fun experience for my girlfriend and I. Upon the conclusion of the match, staff jumped up and began preparing a delicious, fresh, home cooked meal. In that moment, staying at the Funky Monkey felt like home.

So, if you're seeking the impersonal conveniences of a Holiday Inn, the Monkey is not that. But if you're looking for a rich, laid back and unique experience, check it out!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Bodinadler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I was in Costa Rica for a couple of weeks this June. I had no plans other than heading to the Santa Teresa, going to the Funky Monkey (recommended by a friend) and figured I would plan my trip from there. I ended up staying my entire vacation there. So many perks. . .great mellow/layback town, beautiful beaches, warm water and the Funky Monkey. I loved the Funky Monkey! I stayed in a bungalow for a most of my trip because I couldn't pull myself away from the privacy and space. The bungalow I was in had a queen bed (with a mosquito net), two bunks, fridge, outdoor bathroom (amazing) and a patio with a hammock. It was perfect! I was hesitant to move into the "dorm room bungalow", but was very pleasantly surprised about how nice and cheap it was! I had a bed in the "loft". I loved waking up and looking out at the greenery and hearing Santa Teresa rise. The staff was very friendly and really made you feel comfortable. The grounds were very lush, beautiful and well maintained. The bar/restaurant/lounge area is great. Bruno makes some good drinks and Alex's curry eggs were delicious. I will definitely be back very soon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

came to funky monkey as a backpacker, who was planning to leave the hostel after a month......... I stayed for 3 MONTHS!

I cant say enough about the place.

- Located within 100 yards of santa teresa beach
- ocean view from the kitchen
- one of the best chefs in costa rica (Alex)
- rooms for a cheap backpacker or private ocean view apartments with A/C ( in my time there i stayed in every room this place has to offer)
- the staff/ owners will go out of there way to do whatever they can to help you!!
- Did i mention the pool
and the list is endless!

The funky monkey is the perfect place to Base yourself in Santa teresa - Playa carmen - Mal pais

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Markvallance10
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

One off the best places in the world.
They have a really cool place with Pool, yoga dojo, lots of rooms, really good restaurant with the really good Chef Alex.
Lots off adventures, really good surf town, all the staff is really friendly given u the best vacation ever. The owners Emilio and Gabi are simply great, i felt that i was part off there family.
I love u guys and i hope too see u soon...
Funky Monkey ROCKS

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Dunedin, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

What an excellent time we had at the Funky Monkey. Alex makes great food. It's very eclectic and he will do whatever he can to please your palette. Bruno is the bartender/everything else. He's fun to talk to and will give you a run down of what's available to do and how to get to places. They make a great team. The owners are very nice and did us a huge favor, which I won't mention because no-one should expect them to go as out of the way as they did for us.
We did a lot of research before we went to Costa Rica. We knew we wanted to be on the Pacific side and be able to see sunsets etc. We knew it would be hot and there would be bugs. My biggest piece of advice to anyone going would be to prepare and understand what you are getting into. There was no A/C for a week. You sleep with just a ceiling fan and you have to have a mosquito net over the bed. It's very hot and there really isn't much of a breeze. The ocean is for surfing, don't expect to go wade or swimming in gentle waters.
Having said all that, the pool is very nice all times of day to cool off. It's very relaxing to walk along the beach and there are almost always surfers out to watch. We went every morning at 7am to get a cafe con leche and go watch the waves for an hour before breakfast. There are lots of great places to eat in town (Burger Rancho has excellent tuna burgers and veggie burgers, the fries are good, too) but I recommend getting the meal plan and eating what Bruno and Alex cook for dinner and breakfast. Try the Tico Burrito.
With the help of Gabi, one of the owners, we took an ATV to Montezuma for the day (7 hours was $63 which included our gas). We went on the zipline that goes to some waterfalls. It was a great day trip. Getting there was easy and Gabi was very helpful.
Getting to Santa Teresa from San Jose was interesting. Follow Gabi's instructions and take the bus. It takes a little longer than some other methods but it is much more affordable. We took a cab which cost two of us $140 total. It was actually a good thing because it was raining and there were landslides that made the buses take even longer.
Overall it was romantic, rustic, and relaxing. We ate well and really enjoyed our time there.
Thank you very much, Emilio!!!!! It was a great way to end our trip knowing we had a few bucks left in our pockets.
Thank you to everyone there for taking care of us so well and making it an enjoyable experience. Alex and Bruno, you ROCK!!!

Room Tip: Drink tequila and read on the bungalow porch.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoshHollis2112
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

I just spent two weeks at the Funky Monkey in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. I've stayed at many hostels/hotels in my days, and the Funky Monkey rates at the top of the list. The owners, Gabi and Emilio, are great hosts, and the staff is very friendly and hospitable. It felt like a home away from home. The accommodations are perfect for the location. My room was clean, airy, with a killer porch for afternoon reading and relaxing. The food was also excellent. I explored town to check out restaurant options, but ended up eating most meals at the Funky Monkey because the food was the best in town, and the environment was friendly.

Room Tip: ask for the bungalows
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

The Funky Monkey is a nice place to stay, especially if you simply want to relax. It is located above the main strip that runs through Santa Teresa. So it is nice and quiet and close to the beach. I went there with a group for a week and got to know the crew that keep it going - I can't think of enough nice things to say about them. :-)

I also enjoyed relaxing by the pool and getting to know the local iguanas that like to stop in to see what everyone is up to. Listening to the sounds of nature at night that surround the property. Sipping Imperial beer while watching the Stanley Cup playoffs with other lodge guests from Canada and learning interesting facts such as, Sean Avery is not a huge boob like he is when he's on the ice - I believe it too. The rooms are comfortable bungalows with little porches that have two chairs, small table and hammock.

Do not come here if you are not prepared for the weather. It is a very hot, sticky tropical environment. In this part of Costa Rica water is scarce and must be conserved at all costs. So, there is a probable chance that you will be limited to one shower per day. Also be aware that it is very buggy here. There are a lot of skeeters and other creepy crawly things that like to feast on people. If you do not like to be eaten alive, have allergies to bites, you may not want to visit this part of Costa Rica.

If you don't care about that kind of thing, have a sense of adventure, love to surf and meet nice people come to Santa Teresa and stay at the Funky Monkey if you can. :-)

• Stayed May 2011