The Funky Monkey certainly walks its own path in a world of travel. The lodge is situated up a small knoll and surrounded by trees and foliage. Upon entering, you feel like you are entering a small, tidy jungle encampment. If you are seeking luxury or conventionality, then the Monkey might not be for you.
We stayed in a private bungalow for $ 60 per night. The bungalow was crafted from rich teak wood, had clean tile floors, and the back of the bungalow opened to a covered, tiled back porch, complete with teak chairs, a crafted table and a hammock. A great spot to read, smoke, or simply take a moment.
The bungalow did not feature comfort items like a percolator, television or the like. To lack such items was a struggle during times of inclement weather. We were there during rainy season, and at one point the rain fell for 48 hours, leaving us a bit stir crazy. However, during positive weather, such comfort items are not needed. The bungalow is a super cool place to hang your clothes, take a nap or simply enjoy the atmosphere.
While the Funky Monkey does not provide mints, free breakfast nor an austere lobby or reception area, it does provide a truly friendly and welcoming, social lodge environment. Monkey staff are just as likely to join you in watching a football match or have a chat as they are to serve you a drink or evening meal. For example, during a particularly rainy afternoon. The entire staff, guests and employees of nearby lodges all gathered in the communal area to watch a Gold Cup match between Argentina and Uruguay. We all hung out like friends, and it was a fun experience for my girlfriend and I. Upon the conclusion of the match, staff jumped up and began preparing a delicious, fresh, home cooked meal. In that moment, staying at the Funky Monkey felt like home.
So, if you're seeking the impersonal conveniences of a Holiday Inn, the Monkey is not that. But if you're looking for a rich, laid back and unique experience, check it out!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach lodge on a natural hill in the middle of a private jungle, away from the main street but only 200m walking from the main surfer beach, famous for its white sand and perfect waves. Great place for solo travelers, couples, families or groups. Clean and comfortable rooms with daily maid, free wireless, free and secure parking, safe place with restaurant and swimming pool. Great getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, HostelWorld, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Funky Monkey Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Funky Monkey Hotel Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Santa Teresa
- Funky Monkey Lodge Costa Rica/Santa Teresa