Latitude 10 is a unique vacation experience that brings you very close to living with nature in a beautiful beachfront location. This however is significantly tarnished by lack of good customer service and privacy.
We came to Latitude 10 during the 2nd week of our honeymoon and although being drawn in by the beauty and uniqueness of the location, we consistently found that staff, at times did not appear interested in ensuring that we had a great stay. No one acknowledged that it was our honeymoon (though we didn’t expect anything, our tour operator had advised them and it would have been nice to have been told congratulations). Far too often, our requests for simple things came late or were completely forgotten, meaning that at no time did you ever really feel fully relaxed and truly at home.
Breakfast in general was lacking in taste and variety. The main rice dish option for breakfast (gallo pinto) was extremely bland, especially in comparison to everywhere else we had visited where it had been very flavoursome. Although this dish stated that it came with plantain, ours did not. When we mentioned this, the lady looked embarrassed and told us they had no plantain – not really service you expect from somewhere with a first class rating. On some days we were offered orange juice and others we were not and when we asked for some, we were made to feel like we were inconveniencing the lady. There are very few guests at Latitude 10 and we both failed to understand why they were not able to provide the service you would expect from a place of this status and cost.
There were however a couple of key positives that bucked this trend, in the form of the barman who had a genuine interest in making our stay special, relaxed, and everything was ‘no problem’ with a smile. He gave the perfect level of customer service, without being ‘try hard’. The casita cleaners were also friendly and attentive. Evening meals were of a good quality and standard, however variation lacked and within 3 days you will have consumed all options available, even though each day is supposed to be a unique menu option.
Latitude 10 states that the mainly non air-conditioned rooms are kept cool by a constant sea breeze. During the day this is true but once the sun and blinds go down, this really isn’t the case at all. This hot heat at night reminded me of my time back-backing in Thailand and staying in cheap beach huts many years ago.
We had read that guests were free to join the daily yoga classes in the studio every day, which I very much looked forward to. When I asked about this, I was told that they do not have a fitness studio, which was very disappointing.
It is important to note that Latitude 10 is classed as being on the outskirts of Santa Teresa. Although less than a 5 minute taxi ride into Santa Teresa, Latitude 10 taxi company charge $26 for a return journey. Coming from an expensive city like London, we found this to be crazy and incredibly frustrating, especially since there really was nowhere else to go within walking distance if you didn't opt for the dinner option during the mornin at Latitude 10 resort.
One other thing to mention is that we arrived by a private taxi transfer. Our driver had been very good and professional. However when we arrived in the area, he spent a very frustrating hour driving up and down the main road trying to find Latitude 10, after a 7 hour journey. When we finally arrived, we were told they do not have a clear sign outside so that it was kept ‘exclusive’. This made no sense to us and we later learned that other guests had experienced the same problem. Unfortunately the mosquito nets didn’t reach the floor and did not work and a result I was bitten very badly.
Overall Latitude 10 has the potential to offer so much. However due to consistent inconsistencies it fails to live up to its first class billing. You never really know what you are going to get.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Latitude 10 Resort was built as a private resort and is now available to the public. The resort consists of five spacious free standing, individually decorated and private casitas. Each casita has its own tropical decor, situated on over seven acres of private beachfront property located near the bustling beach town of Santa Teresa on the Southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica. Staying at Latitude 10 is like staying with good friends at their luxury beach house. You will experience personalized service and attention to detail in a relaxed yet classy atmosphere. Latitude 10 is part of the Cayuga Collection of Sustainable Luxury Hotels and Lodges. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, Santa Teresa Hotel Santa Teresa
- Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort Costa Rica/Santa Teresa