“Latitude 10 -to- Florblanca Reserva (based on old rates)”

Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We booked our stay at Latitude 10, and it merged with Florblanca soon after. They honored the rates, but the meal prices increased. This review is based on the rate we paid, but i will slip in the odd note about my thoughts on the new "Florblanca Reserva".

Location:
The location was nice and very secluded. The drive to the resort was approx. 45 minutes, half on dusty dirt roads that are standard in Santa Teresa. The town of Santa Teresa was nearly non-existent. Mal Pais had a few offerings with different restaurants and hippie hang outs/hostel type places. A surfer town to say the least. Town is better reached by taxi.

The food was good, but the portions were very small for breakfast. French toast came as two pieces with no fruit or side. Same goes for most of the other options. The breakfast menu didn't change while we where there. Lunch was decent. Dinner was great when Sebastian prepared the meal. Otherwise it was good, but just not near Sebastian's quality. Meal prices were a little on the high side. I'd say they're slightly more expensive than what we're used to paying at better than average places in Toronto. We often ate at Florblanca for lunch as the food was cheaper and better IMHO. Alcohol..... well, this was a sore spot. Alcohol was a good 20% cheaper at Florblanca. This irritated us. We felt as though we were being taken advantage of because we were at a more 'exclusive/expensive' resort. They are owned by the same company, and encourage guests to use the facilities at Florblanca. This would irritate near anyone.

We ate down the road at Chile Viola (sp?). This place was great with good portions, and good prices. Service was fantastic. Dress light as it gets a little warm up there. It is within walking distance (to the left as you leave the resort, next big place on the right about 10 minutes). Bring a flashlight.

Beaches
In front of the resort, the beach was nice but swimming was out of the question - too rocky. Walk 5 minutes to the right, or 10 to the left. The beach to the right was far more isolated. WEAR STRONG SUNSCREEN! (I speak from lobster color skin experience). The staff will advise of tides and times to go swimming.

Room
We loved it! Amazing. It was a junior suite, but it's all we needed. Great bed. Very well decorated. Clean. Open bathrooms... takes getting used to, but I miss it now. The glassless windows where great. Shades can be drawn for privacy.

Wildlife
We were fortunate enough to have an abundance of wildlife visit us on a daily/nightly basis. Howler monkeys would come see us very often and 'park' themselves just above our bathroom. We also saw an anteater, and a kinkajoo. Crabs are everywhere (not in the room thought)!!!

The NEW Florblanca Reserva:
Now a few notes on the new rates. One phrase should sum it up..... NOT WORTH IT!! I feel that the rate that we paid (approx. $225/night for the junior suite) was fair for low season. I would go back in a second at this rate. The hotel is not anywhere near ready to sell themselves as an uber-exclusive resort. The room we stayed in goes for $450-900 a night now (would have been $650 at the time we stayed). That I find ridiculous. To charge around $650/night not including meals, this place has a long way to go. They would need a full time chef with the skill of Sebastian, a much more white glove level of service (not that I want this type of thing), and um.... uniforms would help. Denim and tank tops at $650 per night for the cheap room doesn't cut it. They are trying to cater themselves to the elite clientele, but they have a seriously long way to go.

Overall, we were quite happy with our stay, but I will never recommend this resort to anyone at these rates. We have stayed in boutique resorts around the world far nicer than this for cheaper than the rate we even paid. Florblanca Reserva - put out or get out.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank cash_traveler
Latitude10, Manager at Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2009

Thank you for your review of Latitude 10. We would like to inform you that as of October 1st, 2009, Latitude 10 will have fully reestablished its independence from Flor Blanca. Latitude 10 will be managed again (as it was prior to February 2008) by Cayuga Sustainable Hospitality, the management company of other upscale sustainable boutique hotels in Costa Rica such as Arenas Del Mar Beach & Nature Resirt, Lapa Rios Ecolodge and Harmony Hotel. We invite you to rediscover the new concept of Latitude 10 that is focused on a truly unique and sustainable lodging experience with a very personal touch. Hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2008

we stayed for 7 nights on our honeymoon. latitude 10 is intimate and secluded, with a relaxed atmosphere. as the place accommodates 10 people maximum there is almost a feeling that at times we had our own private resort.. we stayed 2 nights in the master suite which is a sumptuouos airy villa facing the ocean and with an air of colonial grandeur. we loved the enormous outdoor shower and verada to drink our evening beers on. the junior suite was smaller but no less charming. the only thing we could have done with was a fridge. the hotel leads directly to the beach which is deserted 95% of the time, save for the odd beach comber/jogger/snorkeller ambling past. all the rooms have no locks or windows and we felt very safe. the lack of windows means there is no air con. we felt the need to ask for an extra fan because the temperature doesn't fall below 25 degrees which was a bit much at night. the food is cooked by sebastian the chef and was fantastic. the staff were very accommodating and helped us out with renting surf boards/car etc. highly recommended for chilled out holiday but with bit of luxury too.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Latitude 10 was everything I expected. Personal service, unique accomodations, and a beautiful and remote setting.

I was somewhat worried when I learned a week before my arrival that Latitude 10 had been purchased by the owners of nearby Florblanca. I became even more concerned when I saw that the new room rates were substantially higher than those I booked and the meal plan had been eliminated. I had read issues about rates and prices at Florblanca suddenly being charged at higher rates than previously represented.

My concerns were unfounded. My previously booked rate was honored. The meal plan no longer existed, but the prices for meals were not at all out of line for the quality of meals prepared.

I am not at all sure how best to describe this resort. It is personal and intimate. An ideal place for honeymooners, or couples just looking for a place to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city.

The layout of the resort is well designed. The center of the resort is the clubhouse/dining room. The pool is immediately in front of this meeting/dining area. On each side of the clubhouse are the master suites, both considered ocean front. The three junior suites are actually behind the clubhouse to the left, right and center. All the suites are separate standing structures hidden amongst the landscaping.

For those worried about privacy, each suite can only be reached through its own pathway. There is no reason to go down the pathway (at least for the master suites) unless you are going to that particular suite. Although the roofs and parts of the side of the stuctures can be seen from the clubhouse, they are each just far enough away and surrounded by the jungle to be quiet and secluded.

Although I said above the resort is an ideal place for honeymooners and couples, it was also perfect for my family of five, with an 8 year old, 14 year old and 16 year old. In fact, during part of our stay, all but one of the bungalow/suites were occupied by families with kids of all ages. And all of the kids loved it! It was amazing how much fun the kids could have when there was no tv, internet or cell phone available.

But you honeymooner's and couples don't worry. First, it was Easter break. My guess is there are very few other times of the year when families will be traveling to a place like Latititude 10. Second, the suites are secluded enough that I doubt the kids were an issue for the couples that were there during our stay, except perhaps around the pool, And finally, I was told that one of the new policies being implemented by Florblanca, is that no more children under age 12 will be allowed.

While I would take my kids there again in a second, I must say that when we walked into our Master Suite, I said to my wife, this would be alot more fun if it were the two of us. The suite was beautiful, with dark woods, romantic lighting and candles, and an open air design that is difficult to describe. The attention to detail was evident at every turn. And the ventilation could not have been better. In the heat of dry season, the breeze at night (along with the whisper quiet ceiling fan) kept the room extremely cool and comfortable.

The outdoor bathrooms were also stunning. Nothing quite like taking a shower outdoors! My son especially enjoyed seeing a monkey in a tree above him while he was taking a shower!

Others have raved about the food and staff, and those raves were well deserved. We enjoyed all of our meals (and drinks!)and thoroughly enjoyed the personal attention we received from all the staff. They knew just the right amount of attention to give and were always there if needed.

If we had a special request, the request was met, whether asking Sebastian to make something special for the kids, or having any one of the staff giving input on the next days activities. The new ownership would be well served if they make as few changes a possible to the stafff and how they serve their guests.

I always try to think of what things could be improved. With Latitude 10, that list is small. My wife pointed out there were no robes, kleenex, or blow driers in the room. Her point was for that kind of money, they should provide those type of amenties. Probably a valid point. The only negative comment we could come up with on the meals was that soups were not Sebastion's strength. They were good, but they were not spectacular like everything else he prepared.

One thing guests should be aware of is that some of the representations on the new website have not yet come to fruition. There is no wireless internet service in the rooms yet and if each room has a four wheeler, that was news to us. My guess is those are amenities planned for the future that have not yet been added.

We had a wonderful stay at Latitude 10 and will recommend it to our friends as a place to go with or without kids. We are hopeful that on spring/easter break weeks and Christmas, the resort will consider relaxing its kids policy and allow children under 12 during those time periods because I would hate to have to wait 3 or 4 years to return with my family.

Regardless, we plan on returning. Latitude 10 is a special place and provides a unique environment that should not be missed

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2008

This is an amazing get away...very private, just 6 rooms scattered around the property, big common area for food and hanging out....amazing staff and chef (Sebastian) who has a different menu for you every day.

The rooms are all open air with fans (there's only one with A/C, and it's small and in the main building.) We were always fine at night, cool enough and no mosquitos as this is a very dry area....

There are of course, the usual beach and Costa Rica critters all around...monkeys, birds, crabs all over the beach, funny little jungle squirrels....all wonderful and beautiful.

Surfing is the main attraction in this area, and the hotel is on the beach but the best surfing is about 10 minutes down the beach...in front of the hotel are great tide pools in rocks...great for wading...but not surfing.

The hotel is now associated with Flora Blanca next door, which just gives you another pool, but keeps the Latitude 10 area separate and special. The yoga at Flora Blanca is also great -- 2 times a day and also private sessions.

This is a great place to "get away from it all" -- or for a larger family party...where you want to stay together but have space...we had 10 people travelling...adults and 4 teen boys who were surfers and it worked out great!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Latitude Ten Degrees was a paradise beyond belief. I have stayed at various Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons around the world and this resort by far surpasses all that I have resided at in terms of quality and charm. Of all the places we stayed in Costa Rica (Tabacon in L'Arenal and Gaia in Manuel Antonio), this was by far superior.

We had gourmet meals every night from the French chef. What reviews dont tell you is that food is very important as restaurants close up early in Santa Teresa. Also, if you want gourmet food, it is not always easy to find around town. Many places are small little joints with run-of-the-mill dining options. Some of our dining delights included at the resort included seared ahi on a bed of lentils, beet salad with blue cheese and walnuts, and homemade gelato. Whats great abotu latitude ten is that they make the menu according to what you want. Before youa rrive, they will send a questionairre to find out what foods you like, so they can serve them during your visit. (FYI, everything is organic and delicious)

As for location, Latitude ten has a corner on the market. We had our own private beach area in front of the hotel. A hop, skip, and a jump down the beach from one of the big surg breaks in Santa Teresa. My husband loved it as he did not have to drive to surf in the am. And if we didnt feel like beaching it, we could retreat back to the pool house to listen and watch the waves from the resort pool at the clubhouse.

Latitude ten bungalos are also a special treat. There are only four bungaloes at the facility. They are separated with much foliage and trees so one party never hears a whisper of the other. We were in the honeymoon suite on the water. We could see the waves as we were tucked in bed at night. The entire bungalo is open air and at night, the staff comes in and lights it with candles and incense to create a wonderful mood. Amazing! (All of the candles and scents are catered to your desires, they offer a wide variety).

For eco-friendly people (such as myself), the entire resort is sustainable. They use organic everything and ar completely self sufficient with solar panels and recyclable products. It still amazes me that they can create such a high quality resort and still be sustainable. What the Ritz' excuse?

Lastly, another differentiating factor is that Latitude Ten is the newest resort in Santa Teresa. It opened in early 2007. (That is why it actually does not pop up first on google or other resort planning websites when searching for resorts in ST). Others like Mal Pais and Flora Blanca win out as they have been the standard in the past. But I guarantee they pale is comparison. They look tired and warn down. Latitude Ten is plush, incredibly well-irrigated and rich. What a breath of fresh air! I guarantee you will be so disappointed if you stay at those over Latitude Ten.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank courtneymccolgan
Reviewed 20 December 2007

My husband and I finished our stay in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais with three nights at Latitude 10. The property is absolutely beautiful. Originally constructed as a private retreat, the owners opened it as a hotel in 2007. There is a stunning, open air clubhouse for dining and lounging. A second floor room above the lovely kitchen is used as a massage and yoga studio. The views of the ocean from this perch are amazing. Guests stay in bungalows of varying size. We had a junior suite in the garden and it was beautiful. The teak bungalow is windowless and has an open air bathroom. The bed was fabulous with loads of pillows. A lovely chaise, desk and armoire round out the furnishings. Also, included were a coffeemaker, flashlights and Skintastic. A porch with two comfy chairs made a for a nice spot for reading.

Meals are prepared by Sebastian, a French chef, and his assistant, Yvette. While we were staying there we only had one of his amazing meals as he had to take a few days off for personal business. His replacement, Matt, turned out to be a fellow Torontonian and a fabulous cook. Along with two fantastic dinners, we also got a lot of great information about where to eat and shop in Toronto from him.

When not eating or sleeping, we lounged around the pool with a glass of wine and our heads in our books. When we tired of that we'd take our drinks and books and lounge on the beach chaises or in the hammock.

There was only one other couple at the resort while we were there and on Friday they left. The place was all our's! I spent some time wandering around the property taking photos of the gardens and checking out the other bungalows (all were gorgeous).

To ensure we never experienced the slightest discomfort was the amazing staff. Marianne (sp?), Johnny and Jenny ran the place with the friendliest professionalism. We were just so impressed with each of them and one of the best parts of our trips was getting to know them.

As we were leaving early in the morning for the long flight home, Johnny handed us a couple doubledecker ham and cheese sandwiches Matt had left for us. How nice is that?

At the Tambor airstrip we encountered Jenny who was meeting her mother's plane. We had the great pleasure of being able to tell Jenny's mother how impressed we were with her wonderful daughter.

Now, I'm hoping I've said many things that would make you not want to stay there because I want there always to be space for me. However, I really do hope that Latitude 10 does well and is constantly booked. The setting is lovely and the staff has worked very hard to make staying there very special and memorable for the guests.

PS
I forgot to mention the dogs! They are friendly and adorable.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamwidmerpool
Reviewed 1 November 2007

This place was our only destination in Costa Rica and I can honestly say we had a magical time. It is right on the beaches of Santa Teresa with a wonderful ocean breeze, with open air bungalows that are as comfortable as they are beautiful. I am usually hot-natured so was a little concerned about there not being any AC in the room, but was pleasantly surprised that with the ocean breeze and fans it was quite comfortable(we were there in late Sept).

Apparently it had rained quite heavily there the week before we came, but when we arrived the weather was very sunny and there were only a few showers in the 5 days that we were there. The beach was beautiful although definitely not for swimming due to the waves and rocks, except for during low tide in various tide pools between the rocks. We heard there were better beaches to swim about a half hour's walk away though.

We stayed in one of the Junior suites that was a perfect size for just a couple. It was furnished beautifully and immaculate every day. Every night the staff would light our candles and place incense around the room which was a nice touch.

As far as the staff goes, my wife and I can't say enough about Johnny, Marianne, and Sebastian. Johnny did a wonderful job of managing the place and taking care of any of our needs during the day, and then by the afternoon/evening Marianne would take over. The wonderful thing about this place is that even though there are many resort-like amenities and services, due to it's small size there is a very private and intimate vibe. And Sebastian's food is phenomenal, it was quite difficult to eat anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple