“Refreshing, relaxing and rejuvenating!”

Horizon Ocean View Hotel and Yoga Center
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York City, New York
“Refreshing, relaxing and rejuvenating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

The basics: I stayed in a cute, clean studio room with a comfortable bed, clean water system (you can drink from the sink, no problem). I had a mini fridge, a safe, and a little basket for laundry. There was no closet, but a simple bar with hangers for clothes and a couple of hooks (totally sufficient). One thing that I had to think about was throwing the toilet paper in a separate provided garbage can- guess it helps a probably older or more rural pipe system? I loved my private deck with table, chairs and a hammock- played Bananagrams and lounged in the hammock overlooking the ocean and trees. Outside I had a cold shower for cleaning off after trips to the beach, and they've a small 'tranquility pool' with a fabulous view...Vegetarian Tea House was clean, with awesome options, and the Yoga Deck is awesome! Beautiful view with mats and props provided. I didn't want to travel with my laptop & there's a computer in the reception/tea house for guest use...the reception closes at 5pm. Let's see, what else...the walls are a bit thin, so if you are in a cabina next to a loud talking couple, you'll hear them, but this wasn't too bothersome.

To extend and share...

I am so grateful the universe brought me to Horizon for what was a relaxing, clarifying cleanse vacation. The owners, Yoav and Gali, did a wonderful job creating a great yoga/detox program for me, and made me feel welcome & safe on my first ever vacation/travels abroad alone! I enjoyed talking with them, really enjoyed the yoga classes (I am a dancer and teacher myself- they were all great teachers)- my vacation package included guided meditations, and the holistic center/spa they work with has a fantastic staff- Dr. Teo, Annie & Jessica took wonderful care of me, and the spa was so lovely. Through staying at Horizon, I was able to do just as I'd hoped, which was to relax, find more focus and space in my head and body to prepare me to go back to New York City and start up with an intense work schedule...the perfect place for me. For that and so much more, I am grateful.

You will find a generosity and open spirit with the staff at Horizon, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to stay for relaxation and rejuvenation. Morning or sunset yoga classes offered (overlooking the lush green trees and the ocean), the lovely beach is a quick walk down the hill, there are cute spots to eat (the Horizon Tea House has delicious food and natural beverage selections (The fresh herbal tea, Shakshuka and Power Shakes are awesome!), and Pasta Basta down the hill is a wonderful choice as well for those who eat meat or want a large variety of options). I enjoyed the peace & quiet, went into town for some evening entertainment down the road, met locals and travels who came just for the yoga...do yourself a favor and book your relaxing vacation at the Horizon Hotel!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

I booked 10 day stay detox/yoga trip at this amazing place.

I have done some detox trips before (Portugal and turkey) but you can not compare this to Horizon.
The place has something magic about it. Every little corner has had tastefull attention. Looking around makes you see more and more.

The detox was started with a few days raw food. Followed by 3 days juices (i did 4) and the last days raw food again. All the amazing food was made (and brought twice a day) by Joanna from the [-]
I have to say, what a wunderfull and warm person she is. Food is her passion, and you can tell!

I didn't have any food in the teahouse for that reason but it looked delicious.

Staying away from the teahouse to not get tempted to take any other food (especially when I was on only juice) I didnt speak to Yoav and Gali that much but they checked in on me now and then. They are so nice and warm people who take the time for every guest.

The yoga lessons Yoav gives are beautifull and I learned so much already in just one week! Yoga lessons every day wich I def. going to keep up back in Holland, on the roofdeck with an amazing view. Pictures don't do justice, it's much nicer in real.

I can go on and on but don't need to say more.

I'm writing this in my hammock by the way on my last day of stay (sadly).

Last words:

Don't hesitate if you want to go here. I'ts THE best stay in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Horizon's charm, natural beauty, and quiet environment surpassed our expectations.The owners' generosity was notable in their attention to detail and availability to assist with services to make our trip smooth and stress-free. Our meals were works of art and our cabina was lovely. We opted out of tentative plans to try zip lines and other adventures to sink into the serenity and gentle energy at Horizons.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

This is the best place ever! The villas and rooms are beautiful and the couple owning the place will take so good care of you. You can have a fantasic breakfast or lunch in the Tearoom, or you can lay in your hammock sipping on a glass of wine from the nearby supermarket. You have the best restaurant in Santa Teresa up the hill from the hotel, and you have a five minute walk to the beach. If Im lucky to get back to Costa Rica again, this will be my first priority.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

We came back to stay at Horizon for a second time for our honeymoon this year because we fell in love with it when we visited in the summer of 2009. The relaxed atmosphere and outstanding hospitality made us feel like guests at a friend's home. The ocean view is incredible. We were able to watch the sunset from our balcony every evening and fall asleep to the calm sounds of the ocean each night.

We especially enjoyed Horizon's food menu. We still miss it. Everything on the breakfast and lunch menu was exquisitely plated and prepared with fresh ingredients. We looked forward to breakfast after yoga each day and lunch everyday after surfing or a day at the beach.

The morning and afternoon yoga was excellent. The view of the Pacific Ocean from the yoga deck, along with the sea breeze made for a perfect combination for meditation, reflection and a healthy yoga session.

Horizon's location is perfectly removed from the main street, but just a few minutes down the hill to the beach, shops and restaurants. In our opinion, Horizon is the perfect retreat for anyone that's seeking a peaceful spa experience in the paradise of Costa Rica. We're currently trying to figure out how to visit once a year for our anniversary! We really can't say enough great things about our experience at Horizon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

OMG this place is beyond compare. We are a family of four and we stayed in the cabin with the private pool. This is a gorgeous little hillside retreat in a perfect location, with spectacular views and great breakfast and lunch food. The owners are friendly and informative and the yoga is invigorating and relaxing at the same time.

Santa Teresa/Maplais is a fantastic little, out-of-the-way surfing town with a variety of beautiful beaches and the Horizon sits somewhere near the middle of it all. Our log cabin was very clean and comfortable with various seating options, including very comfortable hammocks, everywhere. The pool is a wonderful, secluded place to refresh after a hot day in the town or on the beach. Horizon is in the middle of the hill and there is a great restaurant for dinner a short walk up the hill and another a short walk down. There are many great places to eat, shop and relax all along the little, albeit dusty, road through town.

While I don't normally visit the same place twice, if I ever get back to Costa Rica I am definitely going to Santa Teresa and staying at the Horizon! I hope they don't ever pave the long road in.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

1) The rooms were new with great views, high ceilings, and comfortable beds (Our last day we had to stay somewhere else which was on the beach - Luz de Vida- where the bed literally caved in the middle, not to mention the lizards running along the wall and the moldy musty smell that made me want to barf). There was a fan in the room, the rooms were impeccably cleaned, and what a difference being up a slight hill makes in terms of temperature (we weren't sweating our faces off on the balcony). The balcony had a hammock - nice touch. Compared to other hotels in this price-range...well, incomparable..surprised that they don't charge more (heheh...hope the owners don't charge me more on my next trip though)
2) Pool - used it to cool off, not that big, but very clean, great view.
3) Safety - we were surprised one night at 3am by someone looking into our room with a flashlight. We told the owner the next day, who did some investigating, and found out that it was the security guard who had heard something over in our area. The owner (who was in the Israeli army mind you) told me he had tried a dozen of security guards and had checked on them at 4am to make sure they were up (only two remained). This security guard knew that some locals steal things out of rooms if they see an opening while tourists sleep so was checking to see if our stuff was still there. This was just another example of the tight ship that is run up at Horizon.
4) Smoothies - OMG. AMAZING. and the Muesli. seriously. the food is FANTASTIC before or after yoga.
5) Yoga - can't beat yoga on a deck overlooking the ocean...
6) Atmosphere - Very Zen, Crisp, Relaxing, Friendly (but not TOO friendly if you know what I mean). Just perfect. This hotel is Extremely well run in every aspect. And yes, there is Wi-Fi.
7) Restaurant up on the hill is great - hotel owners helped us set up reservations as well as book other activities for us.
8) Guess I might not stay here if I have trouble walking up a small hill or if your idea of a vacation is a rowdy, drinking fest...this is a place to relax and recharge.

1 Thank StephoCono