“Worth every penny!”

Ranked #3 of 27 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Prior to arrival we were slightly nervous about the price as we were on a budget but BSS is worth every penny.

Beautiful villas, amazing communal areas for cooking and relaxing, a lovely pool to dip in for when your feeling salty and sandy, an epic beach bar only 100 meters down the road and great surf.

Whether your surfing, relaxing or exploring this is the perfect location. We will definitely be visiting again.

Georgie & Nathan

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I know it seems hokey to put all 5s but it really was just the perfect experience. The location off the beaten path was great for some seclusion yet felt very safe and easily accessible. I am not a fan of the animals and I didn't have any issues of being nervous - the locals/staff were very conscintious about the dogs running around. The staff at blue surf were aboslutely amazing. I was the one planning the trip and even with the airlines messing up flights the staff was so accommodating and helpful to set my mind at ease over an already stressful time. Once at blue surf the staff continued to be such a big help. They took care of our every need to ensure we had a great time. Also they were very personable and fun to be around. My over all experience was the perfect combination of fun and relaxation - so much to do and such a beautiful place to do it (or nothing at all!!)

• Stayed January 2014
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

At Blue Surf Sanctuary, I could not ask for a better experience for my first visit to Costa Rica.

I just got back from my trip last week. The weather was gorgeous (sunny, dry, and 80-90 degrees) and the water was wonderfully warm. As a solo traveler, I had a lovely bungalow to myself that was well kept and tastefully decorated. The staff was incredible. They made me feel warm and comfortable, and were always helpful in their recommendations. I booked a surf package, so I surfed a few days under the instruction of Toro, who I would have to say has been the best surf instructor I have had to date (I've had about 10 plus surf instructors to date from all different locations). Toro helped me advance my surf skills (I'm a beginner/intermediate long boarder) by teaching me about the waves and connecting it to my surfing. He rooted for me on during the process. Actually, some of the staff (Sofi/Juli) were out on the beach rooting on certain days for me as well. It just made me feel great!

Since there is a shared kitchen, you get the opportunity to interact with the other guests at Blue Surf. It makes you feel like you are part of one big family. I had a few Imperials (a popular beer in the area) with the other guests, and we had fun times chatting around the pool area. Often, we had the neighborhood beach dogs/puppies that would come by to hang out with us.

Check out Rocamar Beach Lounge down the beach path from Blue Surf for some drinks during sunset. Also, down the street toward Flora Blanca is Makana's - a restaurant owned by Chito's brother (a surf instructor at Blue Surf). Makana's is only open for breakfast/lunch...but you have got to go for the fresh seafood. Chito's brother fishes for the fish served at the restaurant himself every morning.

Anyway, to sum everything up....I am hooked on Santa Teresa and Blue Surf Sanctuary and can't wait to return! Definitely coming with friends next time. Pura Vida!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christina L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Blue Surf was the highlight of our holiday in Costa Rica, I could not recommend this place enough! Our room was lovely, spacious, quiet and comfortable. The surfing was so much fun, thanks to our instructor Mickey who was amazing. It is located slightly outside the center of town which makes it a quiet and peaceful place to stay, but it's only a 5-10 mins walk to the nearest shop and there are a couple of excellent restaurants very close by. However, what makes it is the staff, they have all been incredibly friendly, helpful and accommodating and above all great fun!

The place is well organised, professional and incredibly friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Had a great time staying at the Blue Surf Sanctuary. Toro, Crystal, Jude & Julie are a great staff. They were very friendly, thoughtful, and accommodating with answering questions, setting up my excursions, teaching surfing, and socializing. The bungalow was sweet. The coffee was good. The atmosphere was fun. Breakfasts at Flor Blanca were great too. BSS is a great place to stay for surfing enthusiasts who want to learn ocean surfing. BSS is sponsored by Billabong which is a respected name in the surfing industry.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Honestly, I cannot even think of a negative quality to associate with BSS. Kind, honest people create the vibe you feel upon arrival and I think this is their key ingredient. I have stayed at a lot of different places in Costa Rica and found BSS to be a great slice of life.

Expect a beautifully landscaped common area that will provide a great foundation for relaxation.

Thanks to everyone there for making my vacation a pleasant escape.

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Toro and Elijah were our surf instructors for five days while we stayed at Blue Surf Sanctuary and they were professional, friendly, mindful, and knowledgeable. As first time surfers, we very much doubted our ability to hit the waves but our instructors made sure we had a great time while increasing our skills with every passing day.
The accommodations were very clean, comfortable, and relaxing. The staff members here are very friendly and helpful. We successfully navigated our way through the best Santa Teresa had to offer because of their advice.
Location wise, you couldn't ask for better because it is away from the dusty town center but close enough to delicious restaurants (via ATV/car) and just a few steps away from the beach. We highly recommend Blue Surf Sanctuary for fellow travelers. We hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: The Armonia room was perfect for couples with a King sized bed and small day bed as well.