“Perfect”
Review of Villas Hermosas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Villas Hermosas
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Perfect is the only way to describe Villa Hermosa. From beginning to end.
Secluded yet close to everything you might need;
Beautiful grounds, monkeys included;
Our villa was fantastic;
The staff friendly and made us feel like old friends;
Morning breakfast in the Rancho was a true treat;
Sunset on the beach was a real joy;
The owners, Brad, Tara and the "kids" were the greatest.
In short everything was perfect.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

It is a little hard for me to add to all that has been said about Villas Hermosas. Just know that what has been said is all true and it is all there for your total pleasure.

I've been fortunate to have been able to travel to many places in my life and this place was hands down the most comfortable and hospitable place I've ever stayed. Hospitality is a huge word for me in that it is so much more than providing a beautiful place to stay with all the amenities and people to take care of your every need. Hospitality is creating an environment that makes you feel welcome, relaxed and special. Not forced but more a part of the character of the place and people. An environment that gives you space to create your own experience and the means to make it happen in a caring manner. Villas Hermosas is just that kind of place. Tara and Brad love what they do and they do it extremely well. They are fun loving, upbeat and gracious hosts. And, they have help that enjoys the same attitudes. They did everything possible to make our stay what we had hoped and wanted it to be and it was.

I especially liked the size of Villa Hermosas. With three villas and a honeymoon suite it is a way different experience than what you'd have at a larger place. No crowds, just a dozen or so like-minded people wanting to relax, enjoy life for a while, and experience what life has to offer in a distant land.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

The drive to Villas Hermosas from the ferry landing in Pacquera was a little long on the dusty and bumpy Costa Rican roads. But, as soon as we pulled into the parking area @ VH, we were delighted to find a real gem in the middle of the jungle! Brad and Tara, the hosts, were wonderful, and we were in awe at the natural beauty around us. The cleverly designed villa was very comfortable and had everything we needed, plus some unexpected surprises. The central location allowed us to take in zip-lining, hiking, fishing, and Brad's ATV tour. Whether to relax poolside, or in the shade of the Almond Tree Grove looking out at the waves of the Pacific Ocean, was one of the most difficult decisions we made all week! We hope to return again, the sooner, the better!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I've stayed in several hotels in this area over the years and my wife and I enjoy this one the best. I'd say it's a combination of the location, the beauty of the area, the facilities and the owners themselves. Tara and Brad are extremely kind, friendly and accomodating and their staff follow their lead. They have a beautiful piece of property, right on the beach and their design of the buildings and pool blend in seamlessly with the environment. We stayed in the honeymoon villa which is like having your own house, with front porch and hammock, right on the beach. Just walk along a short, shaded, path and you're at the waters edge. The bed is very comfortable with a nice, firm mattress. The shower is spacious and great water pressure. Cable TV and DVD player in case you have a few free minutes. Although there is an air conditioner, we found it was only necessary in the heat of the mid afternoon; if we were in the villa. The natural air and breezes keep it very agreeable and this is the hottest time of the year. This part of the country is for a vacation that's different and a bit more untame than the usual. No high rises or chain stores. The area is a little like the wild west but now with some beautiful places to stay and food that is unbelievably great wherever you go. World class surf is right outside. Interesting travelers from all over the world. The cold cervezas flow naturally and freely. Come here soon before they pave the roads and the masses arrive to change it forever. You won't be sorry if you spend some time at Villas Hermosas. Just keep a couple of weeks open for us next winter. I don't want to have to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2011

So what can you say that already hasn’t been said…the beer is too cold, the ocean too warm, the ice cream snacks too tasty? Villas Hermosas lived up to every expectation that I had and exceeded so many that I hadn’t even thought of! Brad and Tara are consummate hosts who seem to know exactly what you need before you even realize it. Our two week stay was one of our best vacations ever!

My wife and I stayed in one of the poolside two bedroom villas with two infants, our three year old and my parents and found the space to be just about right. Most of our time was spent around the pool and hanging out on the front porch swinging in the hammock. The accommodation was very comfortable with lots of space and had all the amenities we required. I wouldn’t call it super luxurious but we weren’t looking to be pampered and doted on. It’s the tropics so there was the odd bug, gecko or even frog hanging out nearby but it made for great fun for our daughter watching and learning about the different animals to be found. The pool and rancho are definitely the highlights of the property with ample space to let the kids roam. It was also a very social spot as you tend to get to know Brad, Tara, their staff and other guests as they come and go over breakfast and throughout the day.

The food provided at breakfast was always fresh and tasty with made to order eggs if you so desired. Don’t go expecting a big breakfast buffet with all the fixin’s but be assured that there was always plenty of fresh fruit, some kind of tasty treat like pancakes or waffles (depending on the day), with juice, coffee and toast. As far as lunch and dinner options go there are dozens of restaurants (ask Brad and Tara for their recommendations which were always spot on), the grocery stores have a surprisingly wide selection and ‘Pineapple Express’ will deliver from a number of restaurants throughout the area. I would certainly recommend having a car at your disposal as it makes it effortless to chase down anything you might need or feel like eating.

We didn’t do a whole lot of touring around as it’s kind of tough with our three munchkins but we did manage to sneak away for Brad’s ATV tour, certainly one of the highlights of our stay! The beach was perfect for our three year old – at everything but the highest tide she could run around and play in the waves on the beautiful sand to her heart’s content. One thing to keep in mind is that the best parts of the beach are about 150 meters to the north of the property. The other thing is don’t go expecting a perfectly manicured and maintained stretch of sand, this isn’t an all inclusive resort where the beaches are cleaned while you eat and sleep. Otherwise, the water is warm, what people you do run into are generally very friendly and you can always find an empty peak for those that are looking for waves.

We are already planning our next trip to the area and bringing along a whack of friends and family. If you are looking for a spot where you can have a blast with your kids, ride a few waves and eat some great meals in a very friendly, intimate and downright comfortable setting Villas Hermosas is about perfect!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Ok, so everything you've heard is true. The beach is beyond perfect, the hotel grounds are beautiful, and the staff at Villas Hermosas is outstanding. Brad and Tara are amazing at what they do. Tara scheduled us plenty of activities and did a great job at finding the best deals and giving us great advice. You really need to do Brad's ATV tour. You can read all about that greatness from the other reviews, so I wanted to add more about our trip and the room, since that's what I was most unsure of when we were planning our trip.

We flew into San Jose and stayed one night in the Hampton Inn there (which I would recommend). We took the public shuttle to Villas Hermosas (arranged by Tara). After being there a few days, we decided to rent an SUV (also arranged by Tara). We were able to drive back to San Jose in our rental and drop it off there (again, thanks to Tara). I think it would have been too confusing to drive from San Jose to Villas Hermosas in the beginning even with a GPS if you are unfamiliar with the area since there are no real addresses or street names. I was terrified of taking the smaller plane into Tambor, but after talking to Tara and other guests, I think we would have done that in retrospect. From there, we would have taken a cab to Villas Hermosas and rented a car from there.

We overpacked like crazy. Since it was our honeymoon, we figured we would go out to lots of nice dinners. We really only wore our bathing suits and wore nicer clothes one night (still with flip flops). The town is VERY casual so I would recommend just bring lots of suits and flip flops with some nicer cover ups.

I am a planner by nature, but Tara assured me that we could wait until we got there to make all of our plans and she was totally right. It was so nice deciding at the last minute what we wanted to do, and she was able to take care of all of the arrangements. So even if you are a planner like me, I would recommend just waiting until you get there. We took surfing lessons, went on Brad's ATV tour, went ziplining in Montezuma, and drove to Playa Coyote (all of which are highly recommended!) and still had lots of time to relax on the beach and mingle with other guests by the amazing pool. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the sailboat tour.

Breakfast is included in the price and is decent, but I would not say that it's spectacular. The best part is the eggs that are made to order and the fresh fruit. One morning we saw a hugh cockroach crawling up the side of the bar where the food is kept (however, it is outside in the jungle so this is understandable) :/

We stayed in the Honeymoon Villa. This is the only villa with an ocean view. The rest of the villas have a view of the pool. The porch is amazing and there is a lot of room in the villa. However, I would not call it luxury by any means. There were a few dead bugs on top of the canopy and underneath it that didn't get cleaned our entire trip. There were a few spider webs containing dead bugs that did not get cleaned up our entire trip. The towels were very thin and scratchy. The bed only had two pillows and it was not very comfortable. On our last day (thank goodness), I saw a cockroach in the living area...

Just a few things that are characteristic of the area, not just Villas Hermosas, that I did not know before booking the trip. Geckos will get into your room. They are tiny little lizard things that go very fast. Also, you cannot flush any toilet paper. You need to throw it all out in the garbage can, which I never really got used to. There were signs in all of the fancy restaurants to do the same.

Anyway, I would totally recommend Villas Hermosas, and I do think that the price was very low for the amazingness that you get. I just had super high expectations from reading all of the reviews, so may have been let down just a little from those.

10  Thank kayellepea
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We traveled to Villas Hermosas for our honeymoon and could not have asked for a better experience!! We've been home in Colorado for a week now and I still cannot shake the sand out of my head that keeps me daydreaming about our trip!! Brad and Tara are absolutely fantastic people and even their dog, Samsona, makes you feel very welcomed! We have traveled pretty extensively and have never experienced such wonderful "hosts" that truly played an integral part in our experience...we just left last week and have already booked for the same week next year if that is any indication of how we felt about Villas Hermosas.

We flew in to San Jose and rented a car to drive to Mal Pais. We enjoyed the drive which took us almost 5 hours each way (and includes a beautiful ferry ride in the middle of the trip). Once you get off the ferry in Paquera, you are greeted with windy dirt roads in the middle of the jungle and it felt like the perfect introduction to the adventure that laid ahead of us on this trip. We had zero issues driving the rental car (a 4WD) and navigated very successfully on the roads in the area. I would recommend either renting a car or an ATV for your stay at Villas Hermosas. It is probably a 15 minute drive past Santa Teresa and it was nice to have the car to drive in for dinner/drinks and groceries (however there is even a grocery store in Playa Hermosa now, too). I do think that you can get along just fine without a car as there is a food delivery service (which we used twice) and also restaurants within walking distance (we really liked Ambrosia which was quite close). Tara and Brad provide great guidance in regards to your food options and were happy to schedule reservations for us to some of their favorite places.

The main reason we chose this area was for the surfing and it did not disappoint. I am new to surfing and the break on Playa Hermosa was PERFECT. We had the opportunity to meet up with Brad in the water a few times and he gave great tips to this newbie! We spent the majority of our time on the beach and in the waves and it was absolutely amazing!! We had grand intentions of doing a ton of activities on this trip but only ended up doing a few because we had a hard time leaving the gorgeous beach. Another lovely couple staying in Villas invited us on Brad's ATV tour (which they had heard we should NOT miss) and we are SO glad that they did. It was truly one of the best days of our trip and you should definitely go if you have the opportunity while you are there. He takes you to Playa Coyote along gorgeous beaches and dirt roads and you get to enjoy a delicious meal in the middle of the tour. The only other activity we did was the Montezuma zipline tour. Tara recommended the 1 pm tour and it was perfect (there were 4 of us total on the 1 pm tour....and the 3 pm tour was at max capacity with 24 people!). The zipline guides were great and take you safely to the Montezuma waterfall where you can cliff dive into gorgeous water and cool off before you finish the tour. We drove the "back way" to Montezuma as guided by Brad & Tara and it was a fun experience within itself (again, nice to have a car!).

The breakfast every morning was great and it was fun to chat with the other guests in the rancho. We ended up sharing drinks and stories with a few of the other guests almost every evening in the rancho which was really quite nice (I guess we're social travelers). The "good faith" refrigerator with beers and other treats was nice to have and helped ensure we were never thirsty! We stayed in the honeymoon villa which was absolutely amazing. We spent so much time on the front porch (in the hammock) which has the most amazing views of the sunset (and oh, the sunsets!!!). The weather was lovely at night and we never even needed the A/C but kept the windows open for the breeze and so we could hear the ocean waves crashing. A few nights the howler monkeys cruised through and made their presence well heard...which was awesome! We spent our last 2 nights in a villa by the pool to get the best of both worlds and they are really quite lovely as well! The gardener on the grounds is constantly working to keep the foliage beautiful (and if you appreciate plants, you'll appreciate his hard work). The pool was really nice as well....we would even take a dip prior to eating breakfast after spending 2 hours surfing after dawn patrol!

Lastly, I would also recommend getting a massage by Tara and Brad's own personal favorite massage therapist!! She was absolutely amazing!! We were able to get our massages on the front porch of the honeymoon suite as the sun was setting and it was unbelievable.

I cannot say enough about Villas Hermosas and Brad & Tara....it was exactly what we wanted and so much more! El Sarpe :)