Two friends and I stayed at Casa Marbella June 8-14. First of all, the place is beautiful, set high on a hill above Malpais/Santa Teresa, with amazing 180 degree ocean views. We had the condo, which is a large 3 bedroom unit on the top floor (we had way more space than we needed), with a private balcony (see the pictures). The rooms are great, AC in the bedrooms, everything is quality built with local materials. The infinity pool is great.
The owners: Jim and Stephanie run the hotel and live on the premises in a unit identical the one we stayed in. It truly has the feel of staying with friends who help you understand the area and get around. Jim gave my friends surfing lessons and they both commented on how great a teacher he is. Likewise, they set us up for whatever tours we wanted, we did a canopy tour and an Isla Tortuga snorkeling trip. They advise on the best tours, and also arrange massage or yoga lessons (Stephanie leads these).
The season: June is the "green season", which for us meant 2 days of complete sun, 4 days of partial sun (though still frequently warm and sunny, enough to easily burn/get tan) and one day of morning sun and PM rain. Bottom line, like others, we saw relatively little rain during the rainy season. The nice thing was the hotel was easy to reserve, and we shared with relatively few people (there are only about 8 total rooms). The surf was perfect every day (4-6ft, occas overhead, glassy in AM) as the area is known for. Jim will clue you in on where to go and when if you want. They have boards to rent for cheap.
Area: easy walk to restaurants of all sorts, market, beach. By easy I mean a solid hike up a pretty steep hill, but the distance is short, and it didn't bother us. If you can't walk up a hill, you could rent a 4 wheeler or drive up and down. By Costa Rican standards, typical. The restaurant next door (to which you get a private access) called Brisas del Mar was outstanding, the best food for the money in the area. Get three pitchers of Watermelon Cocoloco and say high to Poochie and Noodles (resident pups).
Comparison: basically there seem to be three types of places in MP/ST - you can stay at the beachside high end resort type places up the road (Flor Blanca, Red Palm Villas), do an independent hotel like this or rent a house yourself, or stay at a youth hostile. For us this was perfect, we visited Flor Blanca and my thought is that it was overpriced, and I don't like the all inclusive resort feel, if I wanted that I'd just go to Cancun. You get all of the same amenities at Casa Marbella for less money, and a much better view (all of the places at beach level are really villas set in the trees and you see nothing).
Summary: we'd stay here again in a heartbeat, it was perfect for us, and I would recommend it to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa MarBella is a boutique hotel situated on a mountain slope in Santa Teresa. The property provides a spectacular panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and is a five-minute walk to the beach, restaurants, and stores. Being surrounded by rainforest, it offers a unique opportunity to watch wildlife in their natural habitat. The area is renowned for its consistent surf breaks, some of which are walking distance from the property. The Casa consists of eight units with four different typologies of rooms for your different needs and group sizes. It is an ideal venue for those seeking the privacy, services, and comforts of individual hotel rooms, yet the intimacy of a private villa. The décor of the rooms is a minimalist approach with a tropical touch. The amenities of the hotel include free parking area, Wi-Fi in the common areas, infinity pool, ocean view yoga deck, sun terrace, and reception. All of the rooms have ocean view and air conditioning. Services we provide include house keeping, massage, babysitting, and concierge where we can schedule an array of activities for no extra charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Casa MarBella reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marbella Santa Teresa
- Casa Marbella Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa MarBella Costa Rica/Santa Teresa