My husband and I used Trip Advisor to select this ideal small & private hotel for a 1 month vacation. At that time Casa Marbella had close to 280 reviews w/average of 5 stars. Incredible. This sold us, and we want to reciprocate with our own review, offering very specific info. 1) People: the English/Spanish speaking couple who owns this place is incredible. They give far above & beyond what you'd expect. They built this beautiful place over a period of several yrs & their hearts are in it! We felt like honored guests, and were treated with such warmth & kindness. They provided accommodations to meet all of our needs & expectations. The owners responded in ways we didn't expect, for example Steph volunteered to bring us fresh fish at a reasonable price, loaned us her own crockpot & they both may have been willing to give us the shirts off their backs! Jim responded promptly when we had a banking problem and resolved it immediately. The owners also put us in contact with many resources- some you might consider using including Joann- specializing in organic food cuisine; Lauren- highly skilled Pilates trainer; therapeutic massage therapists; horse farm right next door which provided horseback riding on the beach; taxi drivers known by Jim and Steph (amazingly inexpensive & never a wait); yoga & surf instructors. Other people we came to know: Wilfredo- night guard, Fausto- full time maintenance provider, two lovely housekeepers, & friendly reception. (Imagine a senior citizen couple in tears as we left & had to say "good-bye" to our new friends). 2) The place: exceptionally clean, safe, well designed, numerous options for room types; gorgeous pool within steps of our door; honor bar; fully supplied kitchens in suites; comfy beds; clean & efficient air conditioners; outstanding view from balcony for breath-taking view & sunset every night; minutes from a highly rated restaurant on site; huge grocery store (Ronnie's) at turn-in to hotel; tranquil & peaceful atmosphere. 3) The city: small developing town with numerous delicious restaurants; roads are not all paved, so delightful rustic feel; opportunity to interact with the local people & culture; safe; roads filled w/ motor bikes, rented ATVs, pedestrians & bicycles. Not much shopping except for essentials like- groceries, surf shops, surf clothing & minimal # of gift shops. Check out Banana Beach & Blue Surf, both with casual restaurants/bars on the beach. 4) The experience: it felt much like a wellness retreat! We ate organic & native food; hiking; walking the beach; professional massage therapist on site; yoga & Pilates instruction. There are guided fishing & snorkeling tours. Nature conservatories within an hour drive. And for those who like it: zip lines in the city of "Montezuma"; Curu has lots of monkeys & wildlife! We were truly able to detach from normal life at home & completely relaxed & rejuvenated! Thanks so much to Steph & Jim - owners, their adorable daughter, loving dog, and staff people who have shared the blood, sweat & tears in creating this special & unique place. I suggest taking the opportunity to practice Spanish with the helpful employees.
Not only all of that- the cost for the hotel and restaurants was very reasonable!
PS important info: we were not able to use our cellular phones. Two options for communicating with home: WiFi is readily available w/no charge, allowing Skyping & FaceTime. OR purchase a cheap unlocked cell phone at airport which allows calls outside the country and within Santa Teresa. One more suggestion: it was our preference to not rent a car! So much is within walking distance or for a better option to get around area- we suggest renting an ATV. It's fun! Jim or Steph will arrange it. (We flew into San Jose- took puddle jumper plane to Tambour, and the owners had a taxi waiting for us to the hotel!!)
We will be back - no doubt!!!! Muchas Gracias!
Lynne Maria and Deacon Dave Lindmeier, Minnesota, USA
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa MarBella is a boutique hotel situated on a mountain slope in Santa Teresa. The property provides a spectacular panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and is a five-minute walk to the beach, restaurants, and stores. Being surrounded by rainforest, it offers a unique opportunity to watch wildlife in their natural habitat. The area is renowned for its consistent surf breaks, some of which are walking distance from the property. The Casa consists of eight units with four different typologies of rooms for your different needs and group sizes. It is an ideal venue for those seeking the privacy, services, and comforts of individual hotel rooms, yet the intimacy of a private villa. The décor of the rooms is a minimalist approach with a tropical touch. The amenities of the hotel include free parking area, Wi-Fi in the common areas, infinity pool, ocean view yoga deck, sun terrace, and reception. All of the rooms have ocean view and air conditioning. Services we provide include house keeping, massage, babysitting, and concierge where we can schedule an array of activities for no extra charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Casa MarBella reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marbella Santa Teresa
- Casa Marbella Hotel Santa Teresa
- Casa MarBella Costa Rica/Santa Teresa