“Surfer's Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, Florida
“Surfer's Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Was my second stay at Casa MarBella, I could not choose a better place to stay in the Santa Teresa area. I have visited Costa Rica four times over the years, with out a doubt the nicest place I've stayed at. Jim and Stephanie always treat my friends and I like family. Minutes away from the beach and perfect waves, a dream come true. I highly recommend Casa MarBella, if you have not been there yet, what are you waiting for?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great atmosphere and setting, very clean, quite, great view and very nice staff. Plenty of things to do close by, beach is a short walk down the hill. Its a good place for a family, a couple or solo. Have no complaints and will be back next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike B
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This will be my 10th year going to Costa Rica and will shortly be my 7th time staying at Casa Marbella, so this is a long, overdue review. For me coming here isn't even about exploring Santa Teresa anymore. It's about pure relaxation. Casa Marbella is probably the cleanest, most well thought out hotel I've been to in Costa Rica. I've stayed in every room except the luxury condo and you will be more than accommodated in any of them. The beds are comfy with American style bed linens and all rooms have air conditioning and kitchen items so that you can prepare small meals. (Even the ones without a kitchen). I absolutely love getting a room with a kitchen, preparing a delicious meal with local ingredients, and sitting outside to watch the sunset with a nice glass of wine. What a great way to conserve money and relax at the same time! It's quiet, it's safe, and it has an amazing view of the ocean. I'm a yoga teacher, so having the yoga deck also overlooking the ocean for whenever I feel like practicing is also amazing to me. There's an infinity pool with chairs for sunbathing and a couple of hammocks for when you are lazy, There's WiFi and a little fridge with beverages/beer/wine that works on the honor system. There's always fresh coffee in the morning and some books if you would like to read.

Nearby you will have most of the places you would need to go to. There is a soda (a typical restaurant) at the bottom of the hill as well as a couple of supermarkets. There are other restaurants/bars/banks/a pharmacy/stores/the beach all within walking distance. Horizon next door has great yoga and there are other places for yoga/pilates that you can get to on foot. Brisas del Mar also next door gives a discounted breakfast to guests of Casa Marbella. (They're also great for dinner!)

If you want to get out and about, Jim and Stephanie can help you plan whatever excursion you would like. If you don't want to go out to eat, they will provide with a list of places that deliver. You can get a massage on the yoga deck or they can arrange for other spa services. You need to rent a quad, car, or arrange transportation? They can do it. Want a surf lesson? Jim's a great teacher and will take you. They can tell you anything you need to know and how to do anything that you want to do. You will not get a better place for such reasonable prices.

Lastly, Jim, Stephanie, their daughter, Naia, and the rest of the hotel staff is what really draws me back. It's like staying with friends and family every time. The only time I am unhappy is when I have to leave.

Love you guys!
Adrienne

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We brought a group of 12 ppl from San Diego to Casa Marbella for a Yoga Retreat.. The view up the hill where casa marbella is located,,, is absolutely stunning.. Its quiet and super secure and jim and Steph plus their angelic daughter NYA were so helpful.. We had everything we needed right at our fingertips… Taxi, excursions, recommendations-- just ask the people at the front desk.. Plus Amelin, the massage therapist is TO DIE FOR.. Make sure to book a session with her and take a private yoga class in the Open air yoga studio with Stephanie.. My favorite restaurant, Brisas Del Mar, is actually right next to Casa Marbella. Their are stairs that attach the hotel to the restaurant, so you have amazing food just steps away!! There are several different selections in terms of rooms.. Its awesome for a huge group or just to rent the private rooms too.. The prices are affordable and its super clean!! This place is a MEGA GEM!!!

Room Tip: Get a private room that overlooks the pool with a kitchenette or splurge and get the condo!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have to start of by saying thank you to the owners Stephanie and Jim. They were the most accommodating hosts to our whole party which included my mother, brother, 6 year old son, my boyfriend and I. The place was very clean, and had a cozy yet exotic feel to it. The pool view is to die for. One could practically spend their whole day enjoying the view there, soaking up the rays and be completely satisfied. Jim gave a my bro and I a surf lesson. He was organized, timely and you could tell he is passionate about surfing which made the lesson even more enjoyable. He gave us rides on the four wheelers to the doctor, and was very helpful in recommending what to see and where to hang out while in Santa Teresa. I would definitely recommend Casa MarBella to anyone looking for an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My fiance and I visited Santa Teresa with another couple and stayed in one of the 3 bedroom apartments at Casa MarBella. The apartment was spacious, beautiful, and very clean. The best part was the terrace with the hammock overlooking the Pacific- your own slice of paradise. While the hotel is quite the uphill hike from the main road, it is well worth the trip for the views alone (plus the main road can be pretty dusty). The service was great as well- they even provided a delicious home cooked meal for a very reasonable fee.

The restaurant up the hill, Brisas del Mar, offers a discounted brunch for hotel guests and has the same amazing views. We had both brunch and dinner there and it was excellent.

Room Tip: If you can, book with a group in one of the apartments- you get your own private patio and the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. We have traveled all over the world and have some pretty unique tastes. We like to be in a civilized area but don't want to be in a cruisy, overly commercial resort where you get 0% of the culture (and miss the real experience of traveling) On this trip alone we stayed in San Jose, La Fortuna, and Monteverde for outdoor active activities we wanted to do in each town. Our trip was perfect but Casa Marbella was the crown jewel of our trip. My wife and I booked the two bedroom with the private balcony overlooking the ocean. I couldn't hardly get her to leave the hammock on the balcony! She just wanted to sit in that hammock all day and read. I finally convinced her to come down to the beach with me. Jim (the owner) hooked us up with a board (I surf) for cheap of the 3 main days we wouldn't have activities planned. He then offered to take me out to a few of the local breaks himself and tip me off on the best spots and approaches to catching the breaks. Nice boards and nice service. The boards are right there for you to use. They also have ATVs you can rent from the hotel. Prices allowed you to get it for traveling around to the other local areas on the peninsula.

Once we were done surfing we road our ATV over to Montezuma based on a conversation we had with Him and one of the other guests we had met (and went to dinner with) that week (recommended and provided directions). Road along the beach road and walked out on some of the most beautiful and untouched beaches we've ever seen.

Jim and Stephanie run this place like a bed and breakfast with class. We felt like we were going to stay with some old friends who happen to live in Costa Rica in one super nice house where things are kept up and clean. The two bed room includes a full kitchen so you can run down to Ronnie's Market and get some snacks, beers, etc for chilling at the house in the evening after a day out exploring or to just stay at the casa and feel the current of the experience. Water in the shower was without issue for us. I think one time we got a cold flush and it was because we didn't let the water warm up long enough before getting in.

The entire layout of this place makes sure to remind you that you are in the lap of Costa Rican luxury, both natural and man made. You don't get the funny CR smells up there on Jim and Stephanie's hill and when you look out at that pristine ocean, with the undulation of water endlessly running toward your shores you get an image burned into the depths of your visual cortex that reaches down into the pocket of your soul and puts you on that whispered secret of tico time. It's hard to leave this place. I find myself in the office closing my eyes and still imagining the image of the ocean from our balcony and can feel the magic of this place stirring the depths and putting my mind at peace. If you are in the area and want to understand how magical this place can truly be book a stay with Casa Marbella with Jim, Stephanie, and the other staff. Really fantastic place to stay everyone!

Room Tip: Only the 2 bedrooms and up have a private balcony but the other rooms have access to a common pool a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple