“Outstanding experience, incredible staff”
Review of Casa MarBella

Casa MarBella
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Outstanding experience, incredible staff”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My family stayed here for about a week and loved it. The room was great and the hotel was beautiful and comfortable. The staff were outstanding; Jim and Stephanie were extremely helpful with everything.

We stayed in one of the 3 bedroom suites, which included a large kitchen and a private ocean view balcony. It was very clear that a lot of attention had been paid to all of the details of the suite, including beautiful stone work. The kitchen was clean and well equipped. The rooms were large, clean, and very nice. The balcony had a table and chairs where we usually at meals, a couple adirondack chairs, and a hammock. The balcony was a great place to hang out and watch sunsets, as well as play games and eat meals.

Having the kitchen was great for both convenience and saving money. We ate all of our breakfasts at home, and many of our dinners and lunches. We went fishing on the second day of our trip and brought back enough Yellowfin Tuna to provide a few meals. Without the kitchen, we wouldn't have been able to cook up the tuna. There is a grocery store (Super Ronny's), that is right down the hill, so shopping is easy.

The location is great, right in the middle of "downtown" santa teresa. There are many restaurants and shops within close walking distance from the hotel. The beach is also about a 5 minute walk.

There is a great restaurant called Brisas del Mar, whcih is just up the hill from the hotel. There is a private staircase that leads up there, so you can easily walk up, rather than having to go down the hill and back up and around. The food was outstanding and quite reasonable for the quality. They also have some local microbrews from La Perra Hermosa Coastal Brewing, but you might have to ask for them as they didn't put them on the board. We went there twice and tried a few different seafood dishes and the beef tenderloin. Everything was outstanding and the portions were pretty sizeable and included a salad. The appetizers and desserts were also great. We always ate breakfast in our room, but I guess they also offer a discounted breakfast to people staying at Casa Marbella.

The pool is great, it's an infinite pool with a view of the ocean. It was always very clean and was a comfortable temperature. A shower is provided right next to the pool to rinse off. The pool gets some shade in the morning and late afternoon, which is really nice.

The hotel has an "Honor Bar" with water, soft drinks, and beer. The prices are only slightly more than at the grocery store, and you just take what you want and write down what you took next to your room number. This was really nice when we first arrived, because we felt like having some beers, but wanted to just relax and not go anywhere.

Each morning, they make great free coffee for guests. It's usually available all morning and often into the afternoon.

Jim and Stephanie were extremely helpful, as was their assistant Amelina. Stephanie helped out with setting up a shuttle from the ferry to the hotel, so that we didn't have to deal with finding a legitamite taxi ourselves. When we first arrived, we had gone through a rough travel day with a lot of issues and last minute changes, and arrived much later than we expected. Jim was there to greet us, and brought us right up to the room without worrying about checking in that night. He showed us around, and called in an order for pizza for us.

The staff helped us rent an ATV, and schedule the excursions we were interested in. They even called in dinner reservations for us. They were very knowledgeable and helpful, and were always around to assist. Jim rents surfboards right out of the office and has a selection of all different types and sizes. They also work with an ATV rental company that will bring the ATV right up to the hotel.

Overall our stay was great, and the atmosphere and service provided by Casa Marbella were a big part of it. We spent about half of our trip hanging out around the hotel and town, and really enjoyed the comfortable and helpful environment.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We can't wait to return to Casa MarBella! A home away from home indeed. Service was amazing - the owners were fantastic - the view was unforgettable - I could go on and on.....
I would recommend renting a quad & trying the local Guaro at least once during your stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This dream-like boutique hotel was recently the setting of my seven day vacation in Costa Rica. Aside from the stunning appearance of the hotel, the breathtaking view of not only the lush hilltops but also the beautiful blue ocean, this quaint hotel is the perfect get-a-way for any size group. I was one of 14 staying in Casa Marbella and we were all completely taken back by the service, beauty, ease and comfort of the hotel.
Highlights for me included:
• The variety in room sizes was extremely convenient. We had couples, singles and families and since they offer a variety of room sizes each guest (and price point) could find their best fit.
• Beautiful landscape of grounds and entrance (very welcoming to a first time visitor)
• The owners/hotel representative were there at all times and willing to help with any task or question, wonderful people.
• The rooms were very comfortable with breathtaking views in each room.
•The private porch off many of the rooms made it possible to have personal time while still enjoying the beautiful scenery-with great hammocks!
• The pool was our hub for much of the day offering the relaxing comfort of a gorgeous pool with a perfect view to the ocean.
• The larger suite was perfect for group meals/hangouts.
• The full kitchen in many of the rooms was wonderful for those who didn’t want to go out every meal.
• Details of perfection, there is such a sense of care throughout the hotel. You can truly feel how much the owners love their home and the degree of detail. The level of thoughtfulness for guests’ enjoyment is rare and greatly appreciated.
• Location, we loved being on the hill, just a hop away from the activity of the street but close enough that walking is a breeze.
• Security, each night the (very kind) security guard made his rounds through the hotel. Though we didn’t have any problems with safety the entire trip, if was very comforting knowing extra security was on site.
• Beverages, though there was not a full service bar, the beer/wine, soda and water bar was extremely convenient. And the complementary coffee each morning is some of the best I have had!
• Activity, owners Jim and Stephanie (and their wonderful daughter Naia) were extremely helpful in making arrangements for surfing, yoga (offered on their gorgeous yoga pavilion overlooking the ocean), massage, 4-wheelers to drive around town, snorkeling, riding the zip line, shopping, etc.
• Affordability, I feel as though we found our little hidden treasure. I was amazed at how well priced this hotel is for the experience and service you receive.

I highly recommend Casa Marbella for your next trip to Santa Teresa. Pura Vida!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Norway, Michigan
Reviewed 12 January 2011

If you are thinking on a trip to Costa Rica, head to Casa Marbella, Santa Teresa area. This modern and beautiful hotel sits on a hill, has a great ocean view and one the best surfing waves in Costa Rica.

I liked the peacefulness of the beach, so I did a lot of beach walking and enjoyed the scenery. However there is much more to do: fishing trips(I heard guests catching over 100 pounds of fish on one fishing excursion), best massage ever, surfing lessons, yoga classes at their Yoga Deck, scuba diving and zip lining at close by Montezuma and lets not forget, magnificent international cuisine, all in all, a little bit of paradise.

My son loved to dip in their infinity pool and at the end of the day we sat on the balcony and enjoyed one of the best sunsets ever.

It takes a little bit of effort to get to Casa Marbella but it certainly is worth it, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
AbuDhabi
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We spent 8 nights here over Christmas, and we loved every minute. I was concerned it might be too crowded over the holiday, but it was perfect. it was full or nearly full and yet we all felt we had the place to ourselves. We had the junior suite, two bedroom, one bath and a small kitchen and balcony. It was a perfect size for the four of us and with the room opening out onto the pool area with tables, hammock and lounges it felt spacious, especially with the lower deck and Yoga deck so close, so everyone could have all the privacy or space they needed. Casa Marbella is a perfect distance to walk into the village, or down into the beach. It has easy access to everything, yet feels very out of the way and quiet. Jim, Stephanie and Naia were all lovely to be around, helpful but not obsequious. We ate out a few times but mostly bought delicious and cheap VERY fresh fish and cooked it ourselves which was fantastic. I'd go back in a heart beat, with kids, with grand kids, with girlfriends, or with another couple or two. It just had an all around peaceful and lovely feeling. I'd get up early and sit on the lower deck and watch the birds. We had a great massage one day too. I liked being able to do yoga on my own, when I felt like it, in privacy on the yoga deck with the beautiful sea view. The kids did a yoga lesson the first day with Jim which was excellent. They could rent boards for $5 a day on the main road so didn't have to walk up the hill with the boards, although most other people did. We didn't see any other place there we felt we would like as much. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I stayed at Casa Marbella for 8 nights starting November 13, 2010. My room was immaculate when I arrived. I rented a room with a King Size bed and kitchenette. It was very clean and I loved the tile work and fancy masonry work in the bathroom. The pool is so refreshing and the view is fantastic. They have a nice honor system for refrigerated drinks and a common area coffee station with books to borrow and lots of other conveniences. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Each has been there since the hotel opened 3 years earlier so they are very knowledgeable. The owners, Jim and Stephanie are always there to give advice on where to go, when and what is involved. It helped so much to get the 411 on doing the waterfalls without a guide or where to surf depending on the conditions. They helped arrange some great fishing trips for some hotel guests that I got to tag along on. All the guests feasted on Tuna those 3 days. The atmosphere of the hotel makes it so you get to know the other hotel guests and it is very fun especially for someone travelling alone. After all the fishing and surfing got to me they arranged a wonderful massage on the yoga deck from Amelin who was a master masseuse. From that Yoga deck, I was able to see 4 sets of Toucans, parrots, woodpeckers and numerous other birds and wildlife. It is so comfortable. I heard the Howlers but never tried very hard to see them. I felt very safe there with myself and my belongings. It is up a hill set back from the main road and they have a security guard every night. Therefore, even the parking is very secure. They have a private entrance to Brisas Del Mar which is a fantastic restaurant. I went there often and the wait staff was very friendly and accomodating. It seemed to be a good place for drinks at cocktail hour but it definitely was great for the sunset and open air dining. the view from the hotel overlooking the Pacific and the treetops is hard to look away from even for the owners. I highly recommend this hotel. You can use it as a base for so many activities and the information and arrangements from the owners is priceless. Also, the waves were good every day I was there. High tide and low tide can be surfed and there is plenty of room to spread out the crowd.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2010

My wife and I enjoyed 6 nights and 7 days at this beautiful hotel . We loved it! I got a chance to surf great waves right in front of the hotel while my wife enjoyed yoga lessons, sun around the pool overlooking the pacific, and a wonderful massage. The hotel is centrally located in town so you can walk to wonderful restaurants, grocery store, and the waves. The staff was wonderful and helpful. They were knowledgable about the area and were able to provide with any tourist stuff we wanted to do in the area. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is traveling with your spouse, family, and/or and surf trip with your friends. This was my second trip. Last year I traveled with 3 of my friends and we had a surf trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple