“Fantastic Food, service and value for money”

Bistrot de la Place
Ranked #17 of 62 Restaurants in Ile Rousse
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Best place in town. Great service and excellent food and the kids 8y and 11y) loved it.
It might one of the more expensive restaurants in town but compare to the quality, taste and service it's a bargain.

1  Thank Ulrich B

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Now not everyone will be interested in tete de veau , which literally translates into Head of Veal. Its the whole head deboned , rolled up and poached for hours ( I think) Its a traditional French dish that you won't find everywhere , I think originally it might have been a poor mans dish , there is quite a bit of fat and cheek in it of course which is an acquired taste . Served with a kind of pickle , in this case some pickled Leeks , a kind of remoulade ( was it ) some nicely turned potatoes and some steamed veg , including the tiniest of fresh peas which I am glad I did not have to do the shelling of. Before I took part of my fabulous Tete de veau , I was given an amuse bouche ( little appetiser) of squid in a vinaigrette and lobster bisque. It was beautifully presented and tasted exquisite.
I had a glass of dry white local wine , that went well with the dish , I left it up to the friendly waitresses discretion to choose it for me.
I had intended to have just a sandwich for lunch on one of the terrace restaurants that occupy the street , but when I spied TETE DE VEAU on the blackboard menu on the street outside this restaurant , I changed my mind. I want to return to this interesting restaurant that has a clock theme and resolves its wine storage problem by just leaving the boxes lying around ( it looks good and effective )I saw some other interesting dishes being consumed by other patrons and there was obvious satisfaction with what they were eating . The dish I ate was 29 euros and ample as a whole meal , the wine was 5 euros , so for 34 euros I had a really good meal .

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We struggled to choose from an excellent menu. The tartare of tuna and squid starters were both really good, following s superb vinaigrette of said and lobster bisque "amuse Bouche". We followed with delicious veal kidneys in morrillle sauce and caramelised Jarrett of pork (a sort of improved "eisbein". Desserts were equally good, raspberry granita and coulis of strawberries with lemon sorbet. The whole enjoyed with a great bottle of Clos des Anges - a very good steer from the restaurant. Would definitely come back.

1  Thank Alysli
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We made reservations for Easter mid day because they were full on Saturday evening. So reserve ahead! We had a lovely experience, from the service to the wine and the food. For this occasion there was no fixed menu, but many specials in addition to the regular dinner menu. It was quite difficult to decide, many fish and seafood options as well as beef and veal. So we both decided to have a seafood starter and follow with two different veal dishes. One was the pan seared scallops with asparagus and the other calamari with peppers. Both were delightful. One veal dish was veal cheeks that were so tender they could be fork split in a deep rich sauce. The other was veal cubes stewed with mushrooms and pearl onions in a light sauce-very satisfying! The bread was nice and crusty, so no ones sauce was left behind. We did not see the wine list, but we were asked our preferences and we requested a local red, we had a most delicious red from the Calvi area. No room for dessert, but saw other tables with beautiful creations. By the way, all plating was superb! The service fantastic. I would go back any time.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We found the service to be average. One server dealing with an almost full restaurant and in any event wasn't particularly personable.

Had to wait quite some time before being given menus. We're asked if we would like wine and red or white. We then expected to be given a wine list but rather obscurely were brought a bottle that had been opened. As we had waited half an hour at this stage we simply accepted it. The food was good but not great with a fairly limited choice and not as good as several other restaurants in the resort where we felt we received much better value.