Auberge de la Grenouillere
  • Pool
Le Darnetal(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
Coq Hotel(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
  • Restaurant
Best Western Hotel Hermitage(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
  • Restaurant
Les Hauts de Montreuil(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
  • Restaurant
Le Clos Des Capucins(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
Hotel LE VAUBAN(Montreuil-sur-Mer)
  • Restaurant
Les Jardins D'Ulysse(Le Touquet – Paris-Plage)
View Hotel
All reviewsfrog legsaccompanying winesamuse bouchecourse tasting menurelais chateauxwine listbefore dinnertucked awayhutspresentingalexandreparsleysaltyaccommodationcheesemontreuilprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We went to Auberge de la Grenouillere for one night and were pleasantly surprised to find that it is in such a beautiful and tranquil location right by a river outside the town of Montreuil-sur-Mer. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was very modern but comfortable, and there were chairs and tables in the courtyard where one could have a drink before dinner. The food was outstanding - full of witty touches such as the "rock" on the table which the waitress attacked with a hammer and chisel and was actually meringue dyed with squid ink. The portions were very small and some dishes featured extremely fresh and exquisitely presented raw fish - so not for someone who does not like fish.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious with home made pattisseries, bread and jam. The decor in the restaurant is not great but that is part of its charm. Go and make your own minds up!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UninvitedGuests
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I have just got back from La Grenouillere for my fourth trip in as many years. Again, the food was imaginative and outstanding. The rooms are well decorated and comfy, particularly bearing in mind this is a restaurant with rooms in the French tradition and not a hotel. The staff were courteous, remembering us after over 12 months and incredibly welcoming.

I simply cannot understand the negative reviews of this place. The food is as good as any of the michelin starred restaurants in London and even with the Euro represents very good value for money. Clearly, the staff appreciate it if people make an effort to speak French to them, but they happily ran through items on the menu for those in the party with littel French.

As a venue to escape to from London for a night or two away this restaurant and this area of France is unbeatable. Ignore the naysayers and book!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank GastrofanLondon
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I have to say I'm suprised at the number of reviewers who found the restaurant staff at Grenouillere unfriendly.
I found the service both formal and welcoming, as one would expect of this type of establishment. We had lunch with my 12-year old son and without prompting the head waiter offered something off-menu and simple for him -- the best steak and chips he's ever had!
The rest of the party chose the menu gastronomique at 75 euros which was very good quality; well flavoured and imaginative. Different.
It's hard to judge value as pound sterling-based visitor right now, but Grenouillere is not unreasonable compared to other restaurants nearby and its wine list offers some reasonably-priced options. And the location is excellent; close to a riverside walk, below the walls of Montreuil. (We did not stay at the Auberge.)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank FotallyTocused
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Having just read everyone's reviews made me feel so sad - I stumbled upon this Auberge quite by accident for lunch today, having been recommended the place by the Office de Tourisme in Montreuil-sur-Mer. It was a gem of a find, set in the blissful surrounds of a riverside location with sweet little pink rosebushes in full autumnal bloom and a shapley tree branch lending a romantic view across to the river from the green doorway. I chortled with amusement to read the frog's fable on the murals and seemed to follow in his footsteps as I tucked my way through a gourmet meal of several delicious amuse-gueules consisting of mouthwatering French fries in a mustardy sauce, the best duck paté I have ever sampled, a salty brioche to go with the veau (OK - the French don't have a very good idea of what "bien cuit" is to an Englishman and need to maintain a "rose" meat balance when presenting their own cuisine, but the Maitre d' did offer to cook it some more, only time was running out as we had to catch le Shuttle back to the UK, so we declined - however, the pink meat was extremely tender, served with mushrooms and fresh delicate pasta shaped like sea-shells and a few herbs). Well, I would have added some more greens to go with the meal instead of the pasta, but that's just because I'm fussy about eating healthy greens with my meat / fish and prefer to watch my weight - unlike Mr Froggy who walked all the way along the ivy hedges to the Auberge, to see just how he could become as large as an ox!!! Yes, the Jura cheeses were bland and the Corsican orangy meringue was a bit too twangy for my palate, but I was fascinated to watch the Maitre d' use a hammer on the hazlenut macaroon - which had just the right texture and sweetness to "dunk" into my "bitter" coffee! It makes such a splendid décor on all the tables with a sprig of green leaves on top - à la grenouille and blends in with the gorgeous logs they use for plates and to lay the cutlery on.

As for the staff - well, one of the waiters was such a jolly fellow right from the start. The Maitre d' was a bit demure to start with and "snooty" as any English person would say of a Frenchman, but when he found out I could speak his language, he started to explain the dishes to me in English and then slowly in French when he realised that I wasn't in France to practice my English! He ended up with such an amazing humane touch by offering to post one of the house postcards I had written to a friend in France for nothing -I was really humbled! Both my English companion and I can't wait to go there again ...

• Stayed: November 2009
4  Thank Seapinks
Reviewed 8 November 2009

6 of us went to this restaurant, to ring the changes with others that we visit each year, looking forward to an expensive but outstanding meal. Alas, it was not to be. The staff were arrogant in behaviour and in one disastrous case, misleading about the food (wrongly saying that a particular item we queries did not contain shellfish). The meal was certainly expensive but the food did not live up to the promise. We complained about the shellfish poisoning afterwards but the restaurant ignored our complaint. Avoid.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends