“The biggest bedroom I've seen”

Les Hauts de Montreuil
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in le patio and we were given a massive bedroom for our children and a small double for ourselves. The children's room had two double beds, one a king size in what looked like a converted 19th century drawing room. We arrived late and breakfasted at a local cafe so I have no opinion on the food. The TV in the children's room did not work, Some rooms looked very modern but ours baldy needed renovation. The hotel has character in spades.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
réception h, Madison - réception at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear sir, madam,
I remember your reservation and I would like to understand, for rooms I gave you the keys of both rooms so it was has you to choose if the children took the biggest or not, it was not an obligation that the children sleep inside. For the TV he would have needed to prevent me when you came down and I shall have naturally done what's necessary. I hope that you nevertheless had a good stay in our establishment.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband found this hotel when looking for somewhere to stay within walking distance to the Les Miserable Festival that is held in Montreuil-sur-mer every year. A small, very French but quaint hotel with excellent service. Facilities are quite basic but very clean and and you have everything you need including a hair dryer in the bathroom. Although we had lots of towels in our bathroom they were quite small and thin so if you prefer big fluffy towels after taking a shower then take your own, the pillows on the bed were too flat for me so I wish I had taken some from home.
There is a lovely courtyard to sit and drink a glass or two of vino, lager or the odd cocktail! Although the drinks were quite expensive. The breakfast was excellent with a very good choice of English, American and French foods but it would have been nice to have some maple syrup for the pancakes.
The staff are very friendly but also very French, some of them not speaking any English in fact my husband ended up taking a booking for an English gentleman for them over the phone! He got a free beer for that :)
The village itself is also quaint with a good choice of restaurants but very quiet and the shops were all closed on Sunday and Monday.
There is parking available at the back of the hotel although limited spaces.
A very good choice for a short stay. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
réception h, Madison - reception at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear madam,
thank you very much for your comment I'm happy to see that you had take a good stay in our hotel.

Madison

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Quaint coach house-style building with lots of interesting nooks and crannies. Breakfast buffet included bacon and eggs, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, pancakes & cakes! Indulgent but lovely, especially enjoyed eating outside next to the fountain in the courtyard! Rooms clean and spacious, staff v helpful. Great location under 10 mins from citadel, in town centre. Walk around ramparts not far away.

• Stayed: July 2014
réception h, Réception at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear sir,
Thank you very much for your comment. It's a pleasure to read.
I'm happy to see that you like the breakfast and the restaurant.
I hope you come back again for another good stay.
I'm sorry for my English.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Comfortable reasonable sized "annex" bedroom across the pretty central courtyard from the main hotel and probably quieter than the main hotel (traffic noise). Staff were friendly and helpful . Breakfast was excellent at 9 euros and parking was just behind the hotel with easy access but did cost 9 euros a night.
Central location with a five minute walk to half a dozen restaurants and access to the ramparts. Spent only one night here - would have preferred 2 or 3.

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom in the annex.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
réception h, Réceptionniste at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear sir, madam,
Thank you for your note and your comment.
It's a pleasure to read, and I hope you come back again for 2 or 3 nights.

Regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Only a short drive from Calais or Boulogne, I suspect this area is much neglected by English tourists (us included until now) as somewhere to just 'pass through'. Intending to visit some of the WW1 sites, we chose Montreuil which itself, is a fascinating town full of history. Walking the ramparts is a real pleasure and the locals are friendly and very proud of their heritage.
Les Hauts is right in the centre, a short stroll from the main square with many friendly bars and restaurants to visit. It's a traditional hotel, well run and clean, with some excellent facilities. The Madame is incredibly hard working, efficient and friendly, creating a very relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere. We felt at home as soon as we arrived! The courtyard with a huge fountain enjoys the evening sun and is an excellent place to relax and drink a beer or a glass of wine.
The hotel management also run Le Patio restaurant, which is next door. We elected to eat here on two of our three nights, as the food was high quality, beautifully presented and very reasonably priced; it's all cooked freshly and sourced locally, an additional plus point.

Our room was in the older part of this recently extended hotel and is in need of some renovation, which I am sure it will soon get. Having said that, it was clean and comfortable, with a gigantic bed and a mezzanine floor containing two further single beds. The en-suite shower room was adequate for a short stay and the towels were changed daily.
Breakfast was excellent, with a wide choice & unlimited quantity. It was extra on top of the accommodation charge, but at 9 Euros per head, represented good value.

Many reviewers mention parking as an issue. Whilst this is 9 Euros per day, space is at a premium in this mediaeval town, so a charge is not unreasonable. It fills rather quickly, but the management helped us when we found it full, allowing us to park in the courtyard instead.
Overall, it was a great stay and we look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room at the front, as the cobbles are noisy and the cars start early.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
réception h, Madison - réception at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear sir,
thank you very much for your excellent comment and your note.
It's a pleasure to read that.
I'm happy to see that you had take a good stay in our hotel.
And I hope you come back again.

Madison - réception

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Les Hauts is a typical old style French hotel which has had a recent makeover with the addition of further rooms. Our room was small but spotless and the ensuite likewise. It is now paired with Le Patio next door; dinner is in Le Patio (excellent with good wine list - superb fillet steak) and breakfast served in a separate new room adjoining the bright and sunny terrace; on a nice day you can eat outside. Breakfast was very good - compared to the Hermitage it was superb and reasonably priced. The staff are helpful and friendly.

Rooms at the front get a lot of traffic noise though double glazing helps. Altogether a nice place for an anniversary short break.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
réception h, Réception at Les Hauts de Montreuil, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Good evening sir, thank you for your comment so kind as well as your note. Thanks to your photo to Tripadvisor I remember your face. I'm satisfied to know that you take a good stay in our etablishment ans it's with a great pleasure that I shall welcome you again for another good stay. I hope that your return in England passed well. With best regards Madison-reception

Reviewed 11 June 2014

what a little gem, stayed for 4 nights in June with breakfast. very good choice, as much as you like, room very clean, and a good location for days out. some great restaurants in the square. madam was a delight always so golly and helpful , we will go back any time. only 45min drive from the tunnel on the A 16. come off at exit 26. p.s have dinner in the le patio restaurant next door out of this world.

Room Tip: room no 2 or 3 in the court yard. so quite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Good evening sir, it's a pleasure to read your comment and thank you very much. I'm satisfied to know that you stay took place well in our etablishment and it's with very great pleasure which I would wlecome you again at our home. I'm sorry for my English. With best regards Madison-reception

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreuil-sur-Mer
Best Western Hotel Hermitage
#2 of 21 in Le Touquet – Paris-Plage
Chateau de Montreuil
Chateau de Montreuil
#4 of 9 in Montreuil-sur-Mer

Been to Les Hauts de Montreuil? Share your experiences!