“'Best thing we ever did'”
Review of Le Renard

Le Renard
Ranked #3 of 12 Chatel B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“'Best thing we ever did'”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here with 7 friends to celebrate various 40th birthdays and what a good decision that proved to be. I got in touch with Rob (owner) via a ski forum and he proved extremely helpful throughout the booking process. He put me in touch with a transfer firm (Magic Transfers) and ski/boot hire place (Vertical Horizons) and both proved reasonable as well as providing an excellent and efficient service.
The Linga lift is only a short walk away from the Renard or there is easy access to the two other Chatel lifts via a free and regular bus service. We went in January and the skiing was excellent with fresh snow falling every night, which always helps.
The Chatel region proved more than sufficient for us as we only went for a short break but there were excellent links to the whole of the Portes du Soleil region if you have the time to go a little further afield.
After a long days skiing we would spend several hours in the bar of the Hotel. We could have used the free Tunnel Bar Minibus to take us into town but with the food and service being as good as it is at the Renard there really wasnt any need.
The food deserves a special mention as it was superb. Clean plates were guaranteed when the 8 of us sat down. What I would say is make sure you are hungry and you will not be disappointed.
We will hopefully be back again next year. Thanks again to all at the Renard and apologies to Room 1 if we enjoyed ourselves a little too much for your liking.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robbo4354

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I will never forget Rob & James for their kindness to my husband MANY years ago who had a brain injury . Every time I come to my apartment in Chatel - 2/3 times a year I visit Le Renard for an excellent meal served professionally which you would expect with Rob's high standard & training ,also he has a good choice of wines & all aspects reasonably priced also the atmosphere in the restaurant & bar is very good.
Just before Christmas I asked Rob to make a birthday cake for a 17yr old who I had brought with my grandson to do some pre- Christmas skiing -- the cake was amazing nothing like I would have made -- different little dishes of desserts , happy birthday around the edge of the plate plus a sparkler -- thank you Rob -- Harry was chuffed to pieces . We are coming this year again.
Veronica Roper

Room Tip: I go for meals but I do recommend Le Renard
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Excellent, we have been coming here for a few years now to stay over new year and the service is always top! The rooms are very standard, but very clean and comfortable. The rooms have a balcony. Outside there is also a Jacuzzi, which usually ask the staff when after getting back from skiing and it'll be on ready to go in, superb after a long day of skiing. The food it always excellent and the staff are very friendly. The bar is cosy, but very nice for apres ski drink.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed here with a group of friends for 3 nights in mid April and i have to agree with the other reviews. It is a very well run hotel/restaurant, the rooms are compact but very comfortable and clean. The food is very good as is the atmosphere in the bar and restaurant.
We did n't find the staff quite as engaging as the other reviews but i put that down to end of season fatique. It is not cheap but very good value for money. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AppletreeDMC
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My teenage son and my 2 mates really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were good with decent beds, balconies, baths and lovely views. The small bar was so cosy for apres ski and evening meals were all fabulous and served by experienced staff in lovely surroundings. My son also enjoyed the TV / games room which allowed me a bit of time in the bar ! Great value and a pleasant change from traditional catered chalets with 'hit and miss' dining ! Hope to visit next year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Lake district UK
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed here with Ski buddy we had a room each in the Annex Very comfortable traditional decent size rooms very clean and well equiped. No TV's in rooms but then theres no time to watch one. The Restaurant is outstanding excellent food with out being over the top in presentation top quality produce expertly prepared. Unashamedly French with slight english influence here and there portions are generous. Excellent Wine list everything is at anaffordable price. The log fire and the smell of the wood smoke created a special atmosphere. Excelent service excellent staff very friendly . If your looking for advice on the skiable areas ask they staff !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Rob and Matild are the perfect hosts. From booking the hotel and arranging transport from the airport, they could not help enough.
Food is top rate and the full board is excellent value for money, without comprimise like many other hotels. Beer and wine (excellent) is good value also.
Would I go back, without a doubt.
Went with my son mountain biking and chatel lift system was superb with some great runs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple