“Return to the Palazzo - 15-24 Sep 2013”

Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have stayed here 5 times now. We like the hotel, are fond of Chania and the surrounding area and love Crete. Because of over-booking we had been in another hotel for 5 nights and we could have stayed there but we wanted to return to the Palazzo. We were upgraded to a full sea view room and all inclusive for our return.

The welcome in the reception was great and we were soon in our room which was fine. The fruit, local wine and water were also a nice touch. When we went into the dining room we got a great welcome and the food was still excellent. The staff were lovely and made us very welcome (Thank you to the 2 Marias!). We love being out in the open for breakfast with its views over the sea. The beach is great and we enjoyed walking along it and the opportunity to walk around the little harbour after breakfast. The snorkelling wasn't bad when the water was calm and visibility was better.

There is an issue as the food is across from the main dining room and there was considerable congestion there at peak times as people crossed over, some came up the stairs and others came out of the lifts. It was only a minor issue most of the time although it became more significant when a large group with mobility issues arrived with all they needed to get around.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we don't go to it but it was available.

From a base of a good hotel, with good food and good staff we hired a car locally and got on with looking at the Western half of the island. Chania is well worth a trip which we did by bus. It is a beautiful city and well worth wandering around. We drove to ancient Aptera which was closed due to a general strike! However, we were able to wander around the local area and it is well worth a visit.One of our favourite haunts is Lake Agia which is near Platanias and which we always seem to find a different route to. There is plenty of wildlife - particularly birds to look at thre and we went there 3 times. Great to see the kingfishers but also lots of others. We also went to Polyrinnia an ancient hill city south of Kastelli and we went for several beautiful drives in the mountains. You are spoilt for choice but we went to the Theriso Gorge and to Kandanos - plus driving through Chania to Stavros where there is a beautiful bay surrounded by mountains.

I went for a couple of runs locally but I found that the running machines in the gym were working and I put some time i there. Heaven knows what my weight would have been otherwise!

As far as the all inclusive goes we didn't make best use of it. However, it was nice to get a snack in the afternoon (noting my comment about putting on weight above) and the local beer was welcome.

So, as we have now been there 5 times, it goes without saying that we enjoy the hotel, the local area and Western Crete in. We shall definitely go back. We find the hotel staff very welcoming and it is a nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Sea view, top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sofia K, General Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Nytravelling,

We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel.
The fact that you have been for five times in "Porto Platanias Beach Resort and Spa" is the greatest recognition for our daily effort to provide high quality services. We are delighted that you enjoyed our facilities, services and the West side of Crete.

Thank you for your support and we are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit in Chania.

Kapaki Sofia.
Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We paid for 5 star. It's not more than 4. Connecting door is bad. Dark livingroom in 2-rooms apt. Food OK, not more. Not direct beach connection. Ye to pay for chairs. Many bad rooms, be aware before reserving room.

Room Tip: Many bad rooms. You'll find rooms in every corner of these 3 hotels. Chose top apt against pool...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IdaBibow

Dear IdaBibow,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking time to write a review of your last stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the room facilities. As our guests’ satisfaction is our first priority , I would like to assure you that we could change the room to one of your preference if there was room availability.

Further, I would like to inform you that the sun beds charge at the beach is due to the fact that is a property of the municipality and not a private beach. Of course you can use for free all the sun beds around our five pools!

I would like to thank you once more for your review on Tripadvisor.
We hope we have the chance to welcome you again to Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa and provide you our best services.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay & can honestly say it was the best holiday ever. Hotel is amazing, everything is spotlessly clean, all staff very friendly & amenities are good. Situated in a good position with many shops & bars around, good local bus service, Chania harbour well worth a trip.
Weather was excellent all week, didnt get into any of the 5 pools as water was very cold but swam in the sea each day. Thank you for a lovely week.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane D
Sofia K, Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear JaneD,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your last holidays in Porto Platanias Beach Resort and Spa and for your sincere words.

We are delighted that you have such a nice memory of our hotel. Our target is to provide high quality services and to fill up our guests’ expectations.

I would like to thank you once again for sharing your experience with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back in Porto Platanias soon.

Kapaki Sofia.
Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Porto Platanias. It is the nicest building on the strip so we felt good from the moment we arrived. To make it all better, when checking in we were upgraded to a suite with private pool.

The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming, as most people are in Crete. The hotel is right by the beach and bang in the middle of restaurants and shops of Platanias.The facilities are also very nice - great breakfast with stunning views on the beach depending on where you are sitting (make sure to go early!).

My only negative feedback would be that the pool area and private beach are quite crowded, even though we went end of September. At peak times one can feel like a sardine. Also there was cockroaches in our room on two occasions but the staff has been very efficient in dealing with these - and anyways I guess in countries with the type of climate Crete has, it's pretty normal to see these type of insects wandering around.

Overall a great, memorable stay on a lovely island with friendly, welcoming people and definitely the best hotel in Platanias!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fabian0688
Sofia K, General Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear F_Oldendorf,

I would like to thank you personally for taking the time to share your experience of your last visit in Platanias and for your kind words! We are delighted that your stay with us was that enjoyable and comfortable.

Through your comment, it seems that you are satisfied from our hotel’s facilities and services and this is a great recognition that we managed to succeed our hotel’s target, which is to leave a good feeling and memory to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future, and make your accommodation as pleasant as the previous one!

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Porto Platanias for a week towards the end of Sept. When I made my booking I asked for a sea view and was delighted when we were allocated a junior suite. The room and the view was fantastic. The standard of service from all staff was superb with special praise to dining room and reception staff. We went all inclusive and thoroughly enjoyed the standard and variety of food available. An absolutely fantastic break.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sofia K, General Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Mr. Kennedy,

I would like to thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

I am very happy to read that your stay with us was “fantastic”. This comment is a great recognition and promotes us to ameliorate our services in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for your positive review and to ensure you that we will do our best to have the most exciting and relaxing stay during your next visit in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

We hope to welcome you soon in our hotel!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Gloomy, depressing room: the only outside space we had felt like a badly maintained multi-storey car park, without daylight. Tried to change, but we were told that hotel was full. And then the following day, in reception, we overheard other people complaining and being moved...
Some people we spoke to had great rooms, but others were in a similar position to ourselves.
Otherwise, staff friendly and hotel located in a great spot near the beach. There's not much else in the area, and the beach a bit of a let-down once you leave the hotel-controlled area.
We went all-inclusive (for the first time), and it's the best way to go: the food is good quality (the restaurant has great views) and the drinks are fine, although I won't be having another cocktail anytime soon!
There was a good range of nationalities and ages, so it would suit most people.
I would say that if you are looking for sunshine, a decent meal and a few drinks in the evening, this hotel hits the spot.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea-view, or don't bother going!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KarlM119

Dear Mr. KarlM,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to post on Tripadvisor about your last stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments and I am very pleased that you are satisfied by the most of our services. Your words motivate us to maintain and improve our services in the future.
Furthermore, I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding your room. I would like to confirm you that during your stay the hotel was fully booked and there was no availability of the type of room that you have booked. Other guests probably moved because they have booked another type of room. However, I would like to ensure you that our goal is to satisfy our guests and that if there was availability we would offer to you a room of your preference.
Once again, thank you for posting on TripAdvisor regarding your last visit in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa. I would like to assure you that the whole team of our hotel works constantly in order to offer the highest quality of service to all guests. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Porto Platanias Beach & Spa is advertised, marketed and labeled as a five star hotel, both from the hotel itself and the travel company Apollo. This is a lie.

- No doorman - service or valet parking.
- No Concierge, page boy
- No Personalized greeting.
- Personal care products in flacons not existing
- wireless internet not accessible on ground floor
- only two pool bars, not several as advertised
- very small pool areas and few sun beds
- the rooms I saw was max 3 star, the one I sleps in for 14 days was 2 star, under ground and absolutely now view.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jan A

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Jan A,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa. I am really sorry that we did not fill up your desires. I would like to assure you that our biggest priority is to offer qualified services.
I am very surprised to read that there was no doorman service and personalized greeting. The bellboys and the guest relations of our hotel are there 24 hours a day, and they are always willing to welcome and assist our guests. I feel sorry that our team has not made that for you.
Regarding your reference to personal care products, I would like to inform you that our hotel holds proudly the “Green Key” certificate as well as the “Blue Flag” award and as a part of our ongoing commitment to reduce our environmental impact and generate less waste, we have installed an amenity dispenser in each bathroom instead of individual use amenities. Therefore, we have placed a green brochure inside the bathroom of our rooms, to explain the reason why we don't provide toiletries and to inform our guests that if during their stay the need Shampoo , Shower gel, Body lotion, Tooth brush & tooth paste, Shower cap, Sewing kit, Shaving kit, Comb or Slippers, they can ask it from the receptionist on duty.
Also, I am very sorry that we have not met your expectations regarding the quality of the rooms. However I would like to inform you that there are no underground rooms in our hotel but only ground floor & high floor rooms. Next time please remember to make a request for a high floor upon your reservation.
Moreover, I would like to inform you that the hotel has two pool bars, one beach bar, one roof garden bar and the main lobby bar. I would like to apologize if the bar facilities were not sufficient to you . Regarding the pools, we have 5 five large pools (one of them for adults only) , 4 small pools for children as well as one indoor heated pool at the spa, with more or less 450 sunbeds around them. So, I am really very sorry to hear that you found our pool areas very small and the sun beds very few.
Last but not least, I was surprised to see on your review you mention that you stayed in our hotel on February 2013, because as our hotel is a seasonal hotel, and the opening date for this season was the 19th of April. So as I can guess, you either made a mistake about the date of your stay or your post concerns another hotel.
In any case, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Your comments are always helpful in order to improve our services in the future. If you need further details about our hotel, please feel free to contact me in person and discuss together about the problems you faced during your stay. My personal email is gm@portoplatanias.gr.

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Stella Palace Resort & Spa
#1 of 15 in Adelianos Kampos
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias

Been to Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!