“No fuss, exceptionally clean and well maintained”

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I (both females in 30s) booked a trip last minute and wanted to stay somewhere close to the airport but still with character and with all the expected amenities close by - this hotel was perfect!

Situated 30 minutes from Chania airport, Platanias is a strip of beach side hotels on a main road lined with shops, restaurants and bars. We didn't mind we went out of season as things we quiter but can imagine it is very lively in the summer.

The hotel is in the best location with everything within walking distance but also has a small mini market on site. Only down side was the beach is a bit stoney but quite close by are sandy stretches.

The room was great for us, no view but we didn't expect one, twin beds with everything you need, fridge, safe, hair drier, balcony. It was incredibly clean too!

More than enough pools there are at least 5, we spent all of our time at the adults only pool because it was quieter and was in the sun all day.

Lots of people were there all inclusive, we just went bed and breakfast which was perfect, breakfast was a good buffet.

The spa is one of the best I've been to, again very well looked after and spotless. I had a great massage as well - thanks Harris!

We did not go expecting to spend all our time at the resort but they do have activities during the day and there are things to do outside (snorkelling trips etc).

Everyone we spoke to were friendly and helpful so if you want a stress free stay this is a great place to go.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jemima A
Sofia K, General Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Jemima A.,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking time to write on Tripadvisor about your last stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

I am delighted that we have met your expectations and that your last minute decision was a great surprise for you! I am really pleased that you are satisfied by all of our services including the Spa amenities, hotel facilities, cleanliness and restaurant. Your comments encourage us to maintain the highest quality of service in the future.

Once again we would like to thank you for writing your experience with us. We hope we will welcome you soon in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

Kapaki Sofia

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned from a 7 day trip to Crete. The hotel settings were lovely-excellent pool areas and everything was kept really clean. we stayed all inclusive & were only allowed to use the pool bar. There was not indoor seating area with music (was like a conference room) which was disappointing as we like to have a few drinks in the evenings. Also no entertainment at all. We knew this was because it is very early season but they should state this on their website.
Staff were very friendly & the hotel location is really good.
The food, however was not up to 5* standard. The hot food was cold & I found a slug in the lettuce on one day!! The hotel reacted very quickly to this & gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne to apologise which seemed good service. Overall we had a nice time but wouldn't return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarah S
Sofia K, Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Sarah S,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to post on Tripadvisor about your recent stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments and I feel very pleased that our team has accomplished to satisfy most of your desires and standards.

However, it seems that you have faced some inconveniences during your stay. Regarding your request for an indoor seating area with music I would like to inform you that our guests can enjoy international drinks and music at our lobby bar, which is ideal for their relaxing evening moments!

Further to your review, I am really surprised about the incident at the restaurant. I would like to assure you that our restaurant obeys all the hygiene rules and our goal is to serve high quality of food. I would like to apologize for this inconvenience and to indicate that our staff will continue offering the quickest and highest standards of services.

Once again, thank you for posting on Tripadvisor about your experiences in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa. I would like to ensure you that we will take your suggestions under consideration. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I and some of the family got some friends who worked in the kitchen's breakfast buffet / lunch / dinner. He was working as a chef he helped me next time I should show that we were 5 people with hand showed that I should give a high five. Then he showed me that I had to turn hand side. I repeated several times. He thinks that it was perfect. Hotel room: The room is good.
+ Telephone dialing to other rooms, refrigerator, great patio and good service
- Did not air conditioner setting, greek TV program (it's no wonder)
Hotel Service: They did not understand what I said when I asked if they had toothbrush even if I have bad speak English. But one helped me.
We took a flight from Oslo Gardermoen (OSL) to Creta, Greece with SAS trip / return.
We were there for 1 week.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank André R

Dear André R,

I would like to warmly thank you for posting on Tripadvisor in regards to your stay in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

I feel very pleased that everything was up to your expectations! Furthermore, I would like to assure you that the whole team of our hotel will keep working constantly in order to offer our guests the highest standards of service.

Once more, thank you for sharing your experience during your last visit in our hotel! We hope to welcome you back soon in Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised. We went in June and in my long and epic search I had read a lot of hotel reviews. A number of reviews on this hotel were not very flattering and left me with some serious concerns but compared to our other options it looked the best. My best friend and I were looking for a quietish location, close to shops to browse, some good restaurants, pool and close to the sea. A lot to ask for in one hotel but I have got to say it delivered. I phoned a few days before to advised that we were a late arrival. We arrived at 11.30 at night and were warmly welcomed. We had paid for a sea view room but had been upgraded to an internal room with its own pool. Ever the sceptic, I asked to see the sea view room and ours was honestly twice the size with its very own pool backing onto the adult’s pool. It was perfect and quiet. Word of warning – most of the sea view rooms overlook the small road that runs past the front of the hotel facing the sea and almost looks into the trees. Think our room was 138. Breakfast was great with an amazing choice from fruit to smoothie, omelette to waffles and most things in between. Didn’t eat dinner there so can’t comment. If you have a little person its also a great hotel. I have a 3 year old and she would have loved the pools and outside play areas. It’s worth finding all the pools in this hotel as we never had a problem finding a quiet spot and two chairs even when the big pools were heaving with people. On the beach front loungers, if the ones in front of the hotel are full, just wander a little further down the beach and you’ll probably find nicer ones (we did). Recommendations: shopping: out of the hotel turn left and wander. Found some beautiful pieces of jewellery that in Chania were 3 times the price. Best little restaurant: The olive tree right on the beach (Out the hotel and turn left about a 5 min walk – careful you don’t miss the sign). Lovely food, friendly staff and great carafe’s of house wine. The bus to Chania is about 10 mins from the hotel and worth a day trip at least to experience the old town but beware the tourist prices. The best places to eat are on the road behind the harbour road and a good site cheaper. We did a day trip to Santorini, definitely a long day but well worth it. Crete is a beautiful place with lovely people. Definitely a place to come back to with the family and plenty more to explore!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank MJH14

Dear MJH14,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback on your stay in our hotel.

We are delighted that you are so satisfied from the first moment that you arrived (warmly welcome) until the end of your staying in our hotel. It is great to read your kind review for our services, facilities and location as well.

We look forward to welcome you back in Porto Platanias soon and make your experience even better than the last one!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have stayed here 5 times now. We like the hotel, are fond of Chania and the surrounding area and love Crete. Because of over-booking we had been in another hotel for 5 nights and we could have stayed there but we wanted to return to the Palazzo. We were upgraded to a full sea view room and all inclusive for our return.

The welcome in the reception was great and we were soon in our room which was fine. The fruit, local wine and water were also a nice touch. When we went into the dining room we got a great welcome and the food was still excellent. The staff were lovely and made us very welcome (Thank you to the 2 Marias!). We love being out in the open for breakfast with its views over the sea. The beach is great and we enjoyed walking along it and the opportunity to walk around the little harbour after breakfast. The snorkelling wasn't bad when the water was calm and visibility was better.

There is an issue as the food is across from the main dining room and there was considerable congestion there at peak times as people crossed over, some came up the stairs and others came out of the lifts. It was only a minor issue most of the time although it became more significant when a large group with mobility issues arrived with all they needed to get around.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we don't go to it but it was available.

From a base of a good hotel, with good food and good staff we hired a car locally and got on with looking at the Western half of the island. Chania is well worth a trip which we did by bus. It is a beautiful city and well worth wandering around. We drove to ancient Aptera which was closed due to a general strike! However, we were able to wander around the local area and it is well worth a visit.One of our favourite haunts is Lake Agia which is near Platanias and which we always seem to find a different route to. There is plenty of wildlife - particularly birds to look at thre and we went there 3 times. Great to see the kingfishers but also lots of others. We also went to Polyrinnia an ancient hill city south of Kastelli and we went for several beautiful drives in the mountains. You are spoilt for choice but we went to the Theriso Gorge and to Kandanos - plus driving through Chania to Stavros where there is a beautiful bay surrounded by mountains.

I went for a couple of runs locally but I found that the running machines in the gym were working and I put some time i there. Heaven knows what my weight would have been otherwise!

As far as the all inclusive goes we didn't make best use of it. However, it was nice to get a snack in the afternoon (noting my comment about putting on weight above) and the local beer was welcome.

So, as we have now been there 5 times, it goes without saying that we enjoy the hotel, the local area and Western Crete in. We shall definitely go back. We find the hotel staff very welcoming and it is a nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Sea view, top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Nytravelling,

We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel.
The fact that you have been for five times in "Porto Platanias Beach Resort and Spa" is the greatest recognition for our daily effort to provide high quality services. We are delighted that you enjoyed our facilities, services and the West side of Crete.

Thank you for your support and we are looking forward to welcome you back during your next visit in Chania.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We paid for 5 star. It's not more than 4. Connecting door is bad. Dark livingroom in 2-rooms apt. Food OK, not more. Not direct beach connection. Ye to pay for chairs. Many bad rooms, be aware before reserving room.

Room Tip: Many bad rooms. You'll find rooms in every corner of these 3 hotels. Chose top apt against pool...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IdaBibow

Dear IdaBibow,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking time to write a review of your last stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the room facilities. As our guests’ satisfaction is our first priority , I would like to assure you that we could change the room to one of your preference if there was room availability.

Further, I would like to inform you that the sun beds charge at the beach is due to the fact that is a property of the municipality and not a private beach. Of course you can use for free all the sun beds around our five pools!

I would like to thank you once more for your review on Tripadvisor.
We hope we have the chance to welcome you again to Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa and provide you our best services.

Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay & can honestly say it was the best holiday ever. Hotel is amazing, everything is spotlessly clean, all staff very friendly & amenities are good. Situated in a good position with many shops & bars around, good local bus service, Chania harbour well worth a trip.
Weather was excellent all week, didnt get into any of the 5 pools as water was very cold but swam in the sea each day. Thank you for a lovely week.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane D
Sofia K, Manager at Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear JaneD,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your last holidays in Porto Platanias Beach Resort and Spa and for your sincere words.

We are delighted that you have such a nice memory of our hotel. Our target is to provide high quality services and to fill up our guests’ expectations.

I would like to thank you once again for sharing your experience with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back in Porto Platanias soon.