“Riding to the top of the mountain”

Deres Horse Riding Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Deres Horse Riding Center has been welcoming horse riders and nature lovers for over twenty years. It is a peaceful and eco-friendly environment among scenic hills and green valleys in the outskirts of Chania, on the island of Crete in Greece. We look forward to your visit. We offer horseriding tours to all levels of riders and visitors can also enjoy a refreshement or coffee in our coffee shop.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Riding to the top of the mountain”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We loved Deres horse riding. We arrived early and the horses were not in. That's right not in!

They were free roaming the mountain as they do every night. Then between 9 & 11 am they come home. What a great feeling when the horses come trotting into the stable to have some nosh and then want to go out with you. It was as if we were their guests.

Two kids as beginners and two adults as beginner/intermediates wasn't a problem. Maria tacked up the horses and walked the kids around until they were in control. Then up to the top of the mountain and back through the olive groves over a leisurely hour.

Afterwards you get juice and a sample of the local goods. No selling just good old fashioned hospitality. Well worth a visit. Call or e-mail ahead to book. So they can let the horses know guests are coming.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Matt S

• Greek first
Helsinki, Finland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best experience in Crete I had!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

- HORSES: seemed all happy at their work and looked healthy/strong. Also mine had no bad habits either and was sensitive in a good way. I only wished shoes for all them, but this is getting taken cared of.
- EQUIPMENT: I got a good new looking saddle, and things were not broken or dirty (like in some places & countries).
- STAFF: lovely, kind and helpful people
- SERVICE: I was taken very good care of and offered local products for drinking and eating. Staff was flexible and motivated.
- SAFETY: They test all the riders before letting them hang loose in the mountains. They take care of the horses too. I only wish a helmet for the instructor too ;D Also letting the riders give command to horses and not only let them follow the leading horses pace. I was guarded throughout the whole 3 hours that everything was fine and I felt safe.
- PLACE/LOCATION/TRIP DESTINATIONS: couldn´t be more breathtaking! The mountains, orange trees, avocado plantations, olive trees and the luscious green nature was unbelivably relaxing and magical.
-PRICE: was around 70 € for 3 hours, which is not so cheap, but for me it was very worth the money.
- EXTRAS: transportations, drinks, snacks, cakes, I had PRIVATE trip, the riding trip was customized for my wishes, I got to hear lovely stories about the village during the trip etc.
- OVERALL EXPERIENCE: It was so worth the money, and I really am not rich. It was by far the most authentic greek experience for me during the whole week and far better than any other touristic tour or boat trip. Best experience in Crete and I´ve been there 2 times (Crete). If I go to Crete again, I will defenitely go to Deres Horse Riding Stable! :)

I have 15 years of riding experience. I took the 3 hours of riding trip in Deres -village in May 2014, and oh, the views! :) Going to that riding place ended up being the highlight of my Crete trip. Afterwards I went through the guest book and saw people praising the place, people and experience from all over the world. I warmly suggest that place! Don´t miss out the mountains and the calm, harmonious experience in the valleys where everyone knows and greets each other happily. Go and pick and orange from the saddle as you ride across green hills :)
I only wish all the best at this stable, animals and all the people working there. <3

Visited May 2014
5 Thank LadyAur0ra
Halden, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Deres - Horse riding in Crete Chania region”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is where to go - in this place they also treate experienced riders properly - you're not put in line with children, - horse commanded by your guide .. :D :D
And - as a beginner - you are treated with the best care too - Arabica will care for you on her back, and Hephaistos will shake the guts out of you, if that is what you want!
I have been there several times, and I sooo want to come back!

Visited September 2013